RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (https://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   About RIBnet | Site Help & Announcements (https://www.rib.net/forum/f31/)
-   -   Forum Update on Monday - Q & A (https://www.rib.net/forum/f31/forum-update-on-monday-q-and-a-41946.html)

John Kennett 08 June 2011 10:32

Only a very limited selection of smilies render on the iPhone app. The rest just show the code.

Janet H 08 June 2011 10:45

The mobile apps have some limitations. Only the stock vBulletin smilies display. Any that we added after the fact will require using the text shortcuts. Some other forum features that are add-ons also are supported by the mobile apps. They are fast and convenient but there is a trade off with a lighter platform.

:)

Nasher 08 June 2011 10:50

Well if nothing else the upgrade must have increased the traffic/daily post rate purely by creating this thread. :D

Nasher.

Bigmuz7 08 June 2011 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 404968)
The mobile apps have some limitations. Only the stock vBulletin smilies display. Any that we added after the fact will require using the text shortcuts. Some other forum features that are add-ons also are supported by the mobile apps. They are fast and convenient but there is a trade off with a lighter platform.

:)

Its ok we'll be fine ... willk doesnt have an eye phone :thumbs:

PeterM 08 June 2011 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten (Post 404935)
looking at the sight as a guest I do object to having all those adverts in my post as it looks like they are things I recommend. I fully see the reason for advertising on the site but feel that in the body of a post is a very deceptive form.

Yep - A horrific update ....hate it ...putting me off bothering to scroll down to see the interesting stuff...:(

Oh and the formatting seems to have gone tits up on my Nokia phone today as well so no more mobile browsing for me ..

C2 RIBS 08 June 2011 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterM (Post 405019)
Yep - A horrific update ....hate it ...putting me off bothering to scroll down to see the interesting stuff...:(

..

:iagree: It suggests I support the ads which is not why I post

C2 RIBS 08 June 2011 16:05

This is what was below my post- no issues with google ads as I use them but they should not be in the body of a forum members post-

Ads by Google

Dinghy and outboard stuff Tow it, lift it, secure it! Motor Grip, towing bridle, slings Salty John: Tiller-Hand and other fine boat and yacht chandlery products.

Cabin Rib, Shearwater Rib Cabin Rib from Bembridge Outboards A great RIB with great features! Shearwater Ribs and Cabin ribs from Bembridge Outboards

RIBs & Sports Boat Gear Hand Picked Range, All the latest Gear force4.co.uk/RIB

Rib Eye You Can Become a Better Cook! Learn w/ the Free Recipe Toolbar. TotalRecipeSearch.com

Puffin Island, Beaumaris Menai Strait, Caernarfon Boat Trips 20 per adult, 15 per child Anglesey Boat Trips - Home

Commercial RIBs 6 to 11m Open and Cabin Passenger Commercial Police Military Offshore QuinQuari : Quinquari Marine

Andy R 08 June 2011 16:23

I have been talking to the team and we will be changing the setup so those AdSense ads will not appear in any post of RIBnet Supporters or Trade Members. We cannot control where the other in-text ads (where you have to hover) appear so we won't be able to restrict those.

9D280 09 June 2011 03:41

Ah, Ads in all the posts. I have them all turned off, could this be why it's perceptivlety slower as I suspect they download anyway?

And another wee moan:

I used to be able to spot instantly whether I had replied to a post or not because the nice compact symbol had a big blue obvious dot in it.

Now It has a tiny white reply arrow that merges in nicely with the rest of the symbol, which quite frankly at a glance looks much the same as the rest of the "thread status" symbols.

Probably just my browsing style, but it's chuffin' annoying.


The site does look slicker, but so far none of the upgrades have improved my browsing pleasure - I have to scroll more and PMs now involve an extra drop -down to get them... and that's before I try it over a dial-up onnection.... Even this "reply" box is surrounded by a nice shade of blue, which is quite obviously not..well... something else!:whistle: Right now sat at this desk I prefer the old one......


Moan over. :)

benc 09 June 2011 04:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 404968)
The mobile apps have some limitations. Only the stock vBulletin smilies display. Any that we added after the fact will require using the text shortcuts. Some other forum features that are add-ons also are supported by the mobile apps. They are fast and convenient but there is a trade off with a lighter platform.

:)

It may have already been answered, but is there a reason theres not a simplified web based interface to the site? If it was to use jquery/ajax or similar for loading, it would be quick, and work on more devices. I know it wouldn't support file uploads.. but should support everything else quite well?

Bigmuz7 09 June 2011 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2 RIBS (Post 405022)
This is what was below my post- no issues with google ads as I use them but they should not be in the body of a forum members post-

Ads by Google

Dinghy and outboard stuff Tow it, lift it, secure it! Motor Grip, towing bridle, slings Salty John: Tiller-Hand and other fine boat and yacht chandlery products.

Cabin Rib, Shearwater Rib Cabin Rib from Bembridge Outboards A great RIB with great features! Shearwater Ribs and Cabin ribs from Bembridge Outboards

RIBs & Sports Boat Gear Hand Picked Range, All the latest Gear force4.co.uk/RIB

Rib Eye You Can Become a Better Cook! Learn w/ the Free Recipe Toolbar. TotalRecipeSearch.com

Puffin Island, Beaumaris Menai Strait, Caernarfon Boat Trips 20 per adult, 15 per child Anglesey Boat Trips - Home

Commercial RIBs 6 to 11m Open and Cabin Passenger Commercial Police Military Offshore QuinQuari : Quinquari Marine

So I take it the option of turning ads off is no longer available then ? because it wasnt just restricted to supports IIRC .. everyone used to have that option ?

John Kennett 09 June 2011 05:54

The changes that are being made at the moment are intended to show more ads to unregistered guests while having as little impact on registered members as possible. We're still working on some of the details, so bear with us for a bit!

The adverts in the the first couple of posts in a thread will only be shown to guests, and not to any registered users. It's a pretty standard vBulletin setup these days - it gets good results and doesn't affect registered users at all. We're working on a system so that these ads won't be shown at all in any posts made by supporters or trade members, in the meantime they have been deactivated.

The separate option where registered users can opt out of seeing other adverts will probably change to paid up supporters only. The plan is for all existing registered members to get "grandfather" rights though so it should only affect people who join after the new system is finalised.

Nasher 09 June 2011 06:28

All sounds very fair to me John.

Nasher

Ian M 09 June 2011 09:15

Aarrrggghhhh
 
I go away for a few days and look what's happened to my favourite forum - help I'm all lost :nonono:

Bigmuz7 09 June 2011 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasher (Post 405103)
All sounds very fair to me John.

Nasher

Yep +1

Janet H 09 June 2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian M (Post 405129)
I go away for a few days and look what's happened to my favourite forum - help I'm all lost :nonono:

The good news is that everyone else is also fumbling around a bit - you have some company in that respect. I think you'll find in a few days that the surprise will wear off. It's also important to remember that we are still tweaking things and dialing in some features. :flowers:

ashbypower 09 June 2011 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian M (Post 405129)
I go away for a few days and look what's happened to my favourite forum - help I'm all lost :nonono:

I bet it even logged you out, as it does me after about 30 mins of in activity or when I come back to the site irrespective of cookies and history being deleted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ian M 09 June 2011 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashbypower (Post 405192)
I bet it even logged you out, as it does me after about 30 mins of in activity or when I come back to the site irrespective of cookies and history being deleted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure does Brian, thought it was just me.

ashbypower 09 June 2011 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian M (Post 405195)
Sure does Brian, thought it was just me.

Welcome to the "Beta" testing team Ian :thumbs:

Nos4r2 09 June 2011 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian M (Post 405195)
Sure does Brian, thought it was just me.

Odd, it doesn't do that to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.