Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > RIBs wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 17 April 2021, 21:48   #1

Length: 6m +
Used Grand/Rib Eye/Brig Rib wanted!!!

Hi,

I am looking for a used Rib. Ideally a Grand, Rib Eye or Brig between 5-6m.

Cash buyer, up to £25K with ideally a 70 plus hp engine.

Thanks

Sally
Old 18 April 2021, 08:39   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygallagher View Post
Hi,

Thanks

Sally
Hi Sally that's a decent budget for 5-6m RIB .....Good luck in you're search
I would advise you to spread you're criteria though..there are plenty of options...at least as good!.... than those outlined.
Look at plenty of Makes/Sizes/Layout/equipment and power options you can (A meter on a 5m Boat makes a big difference!) and Sea trial everything you can...you will definatly learn a lot,like we ALL do/have during the process

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 08:46   #3

Double Post

Old 18 April 2021, 10:52   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Sally
Hi and wellcome to the forum ,keep reading answers to similar posts ,brands are a personal choice but as Maximus says there is a good choice with variable strengths maybe helped if resale to go bigger or more precise in the future is a consideration ,however matching a hp rating to a potential crew is more inportant ,maybe consider 90hp min for your 5 metre and maybe alot more hp for a 6 metre unless of course you are just looking for silent sanctury
Old 18 April 2021, 11:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hi Sally that's a decent budget for 5-6m RIB .....Good luck in you're search
I would advise you to spread you're criteria though..there are plenty of options...at least as good!.... than those outlined.
Look at plenty of Makes/Sizes/Layout/equipment and power options you can (A meter on a 5m Boat makes a big difference!) and Sea trial everything you can...you will definatly learn a lot,like we ALL do/have during the process
Thank you. What other makes would you recommend. I don’t really mind. This is for wake boarding and water skiing primarily. Regarding engine size. Would love a 90 plus If possible.
Old 18 April 2021, 20:22   #6

Quote:
Thank you. What other makes would you recommend. I don’t really mind. This is for wake boarding and water skiing primarily. Regarding engine size. Would love a 90 plus If possible.
Anything UK made would be a good start....but there are a few exceptions to that.
Alot of it depends on personal preference ...utility and style's you like.
There is certainly no reason you can't have 90hp! + and I'd say go for 6m and around 150hp and you won't outgrow it in a hurry...the only constraints of consequence being Tow vehicle and storage.
Makes like Osprey Ribcraft Ribeye Redbay Cobra Scorpion Solent ect ect will all do a job.
Choices like layout.... Power unit and equipment and of course condition and service history will all have a bearing on your choice.
I'd advocate getting out to see as many makes and models as you can and you'll soon build a picture of what best suits you're needs...then it's just a not so simple thing of finding it!
Don't compromise take someone with experience with you ....and walk away if things don't stack up...however shiny you're prospective purchase may be...and however keen you are to get out on the water...
There is always another Boat!
Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Old 20 April 2021, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Anything UK made would be a good start....but there are a few exceptions to that.
Alot of it depends on personal preference ...utility and style's you like.
There is certainly no reason you can't have 90hp! + and I'd say go for 6m and around 150hp and you won't outgrow it in a hurry...the only constraints of consequence being Tow vehicle and storage.
Makes like Osprey Ribcraft Ribeye Redbay Cobra Scorpion Solent ect ect will all do a job.
Choices like layout.... Power unit and equipment and of course condition and service history will all have a bearing on your choice.
I'd advocate getting out to see as many makes and models as you can and you'll soon build a picture of what best suits you're needs...then it's just a not so simple thing of finding it!
Don't compromise take someone with experience with you ....and walk away if things don't stack up...however shiny you're prospective purchase may be...and however keen you are to get out on the water...
There is always another Boat!
Good Luck and let us know how you get on
Thank you so much for all the advice.

I’ve been offered an Excel Virago 520 with 90 hp Suzuki on back. Less than a year old. Pictures look good. Could anyone tell me if this would be a good buy (£20k) and if anyone else has one of these and can offer advice?

Thanks so much

Sally
Old 20 April 2021, 20:09   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

I’ve been offered an Excel Virago 520 with 90 hp Suzuki on back. Less than a year old. Pictures look good. Could anyone tell me if this would be a good buy (£20k) and if anyone else has one of these and can offer advice?

Thanks so much

Sally

I’ve no experience with the Virago, but a basic PVC 520 with a 90hp Suzi, is around £16500 new. So unless the boat is a decent spec (Hypalon?) & includes some goodies, £20k sounds like it might be carrying a “Covid premium”.
Excel are a relative new kid on the block & have gained a good reputation for value for money (I have a Volaire & am very happy with it). £20k will get you on the water, but you won’t find a UK built boat at that age for that kind of money. Bear in mind that a 1 year old Suzuki should still have 4 years of warranty, as should the Virago, assuming that it has the same warranty as the smaller SIBs. The Excel might be the way to go, especially as an entry level outfit.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 20:28   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:

Thanks so much

Sally
Is this the excel boat that smallribber was considering in a post on here i cant find ? bit pimped up for the 2021 boat show that never happened ? ,looks nice but do they manufacture in the uk or is it just another chinese badged offering ,in saying that i had a highfield 5m with honda vtec and was superb ,sold it because several on here suggested it was,nt a good long term bet ,that was 2017 ,wish i still had it !
Old 20 April 2021, 20:45   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Is this the excel boat that smallribber was considering in a post on here i cant find ? bit pimped up for the 2021 boat show that never happened ? ,looks nice but do they manufacture in the uk or is it just another chinese badged offering ,in saying that i had a highfield 5m with honda vtec and was superb ,sold it because several on here suggested it was,nt a good long term bet ,that was 2017 ,wish i still had it !

Afaik they are made in Korea & Thailand, but I’m willing to stand corrected.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 17:01   #11

Personally for me ....considering overall sea keeping and generally a more capable design and robust build (Hyperlon-Matrix Hull ect) ...I'd rather go a little older and plump for one of the more recognised British makers
You'll find they hold thier money better too!
I my experience it's often fruitful to ring round makers and ask if they know if any of their customers are getting rid of thier present steeds....in anticipation of delivery of thier new Model...
PM me if you'd like me to elaborate
MANY owners don't advertise thier pressent Boats ....until they actually take delivery

Tags
rib, wanted