Old 21 May 2016, 21:01   #1

Town: Wick
Length: no boat
Under 10k RIB package

Not sure what I can get on my budget, but for the time being looking for a RIB for cruising and sea angling of the Caithness coast.
So as big as possible I think, possibly twin engine, or good outboard and Auxy, trailer and as good a condition as possible
Any suggestions anyone
Old 21 May 2016, 21:25   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
My 5.8m tornado advertised on here. Very wide so stable and plenty of space to fish. Have been out winter cod fishing on it in very lumpy conditions. Fishes 4 comfortably.
Old 21 May 2016, 21:39   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Let's be realistic... £10k for the biggest RIB, twin engined, etc?

£10k is a great budget, but you need to hone it down so you're not chasing every rib that comes up, and trust me there's plenty out there, but most will eat your budget for breakfast and come back for seconds.

Twins, really? Yes you're heading out of the Caithness coast, but a good main engine and trusty auxilliary will suffice. Twins means more fuel, more maintenance, and is no guarantee of reliability, especially on the second-hand market.

Size wise, then 5.5m, deep vee hull, trusted and serviced outboard + aux, all the electrics, serviced trailer and more paperwork than a Mossack Fonseca deal would probably fulfil your criteria.

Just my opinion.
Old 22 May 2016, 07:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Let's be realistic... £10k for the biggest RIB, twin engined, etc?

£10k is a great budget, but you need to hone it down so you're not chasing every rib that comes up, and trust me there's plenty out there, but most will eat your budget for breakfast and come back for seconds.

Twins, really? Yes you're heading out of the Caithness coast, but a good main engine and trusty auxilliary will suffice. Twins means more fuel, more maintenance, and is no guarantee of reliability, especially on the second-hand market.

Size wise, then 5.5m, deep vee hull, trusted and serviced outboard + aux, all the electrics, serviced trailer and more paperwork than a Mossack Fonseca deal would probably fulfil your criteria.

Just my opinion.
Fair enough and I did say twins or a good engine and aux. I was looking for pointers of the collective, suggestions and advice, not shoot you down in flames.
Old 22 May 2016, 07:37   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmarine View Post
Fair enough and I did say twins or a good engine and aux. I was looking for pointers of the collective, suggestions and advice, not shoot you down in flames.
You do sometimes (maybe once or twice a year) see reasonably respectable looking twin rigs in your budget. Often they have been commercial or safety boats with very high hours. Usually they are a bit underpowered for the typical ribnetter. Might suit your needs though.
Old 22 May 2016, 07:49   #6

The key point with twins is that if you are using them for redundancy they need to be as redundant as possible so independent fuel supplies and batteries. So every bit of hardware increases in costs and the cumulative power is reduced.

Add to that - if you have a fault (twice as likely as twice as much to go wrong?) will you go out? If the Aux is faulty you wont go on the single handed mega expedition you had planned, but you will go across the bay, anchor and fish and return on a Sunday afternoon when there are some leisure boats pottering round too..
Old 22 May 2016, 08:26   #7

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
We've searched for years for that perfect 5.5m ish, good all rounder rib and the best we could find sub 10k was a 5.45m the same as the Ribcraft 545 dive.

It was made in the same factory as the Seariders so the deck is the same as a searider and it has the outhill consoles.

Me and Nos took it from Bristol to Cardiff last year and I also did round Isle of Wight last year too. It's nice and wide for the length so it has side by side jockey seats and a rear bench seat which the back rest swings over so you can sit and fish off the transom facing the right way.

It's perfect for a family of four for day trips and more than enough room for fishing and spending time at anchor even with 4 people on board.

We like it so much that we decided to rebuild the whole boat, so at the moment she's being put back together this week.

She has a 75hp four stroke outboard that pushes her along at 30 knots even 4 up, the engine sips fuel in comparison to any other 5.5m set up we've had.

She has a white hull and blue tubes which is a bonus too.

Even though we said we would never sell it, a RC585 might be coming our way soon so you never know...

As for twins, unless you really need them, I would go for a single with an aux. the 545 has loads of room on the transom, which isn't always the case.

The other thing we did was buy a rollercoaster 3.5 trailer so we can launch it without getting the car tyres wet

The biggest trouble you have is finding the right boat for you, in the format/colour/engine size you want for sale in the right condition at the right time which can be very frustrating.

But speak to Maximus, Hadd or I think Pikey Dave? as they have all owned the RC545.

I'll post up if mine becomes for sale in the next couple of weeks if this other boat works out.
Old 22 May 2016, 08:31   #8

Length: 5m +
My initial thought would be a Searider. It may be worth seeing if any ex-North Sea boats are for sale as they used to be sold off from time to time.

I operated Seariders, Arctic 22s etc in the North Sea. All had twin engines, self-righting gear etc and were great sea boats. Had an engine fail once during a night transfer in fairly rough weather, it was useful to have a second engine then, and one with sufficient power.

That said, a modern and well maintained outboard and a smaller auxiliary should also be an option. The tides can be fairly strong in the Pentland Firth, we often elected to steam round the North side of Orkney rather than take the short cut through.
Old 22 May 2016, 08:57   #9

Thanks guys,
Ok so 5.5-6.5 single engine and aux.
Ideal. Easy enough towed as well.
Ok. Thanks to everyone that has suggested boats I will go and start looking at these and also where they are in the country.
Although will easily travel for the right boat.
Thanks guys.
Hunt is on
Old 22 May 2016, 10:46   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Under 10k RIB package

Quote:
Thanks guys,
Ok so 5.5-6.5 single engine and aux.
Ideal. Easy enough towed as well.
Ok. Thanks to everyone that has suggested boats I will go and start looking at these and also where they are in the country.
Although will easily travel for the right boat.
Thanks guys.
Hunt is on

A 5.5 and 6.5 are v different boats, despite only 1 metre. Think of a 1 series and 5 series Bmw. Not much in length but overall size and weight differences are massive, plus the associated need for a bigger engine.

A 5.5 would typically do 40mph with a 90hp but a 6.5 would need a 140hp for example.

Thus they cost twice as much new or second hand and the same for run.
Old 22 May 2016, 10:57   #11

Some where in that range though, there has been a few suggestions or pointers to 6m and just over boats that are within the price target.
Most right enough are 5.8 to 6 which is ideal
Old 22 May 2016, 11:03   #12
RIBnet admin team

About as far away as you can get. No idea about condition, but proof twins can be done in your budget: http://www.findafishingboat.com/bwm/ad-72128
Old 22 May 2016, 11:18   #13

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
I am selling a 6m Ring in for sale section. £7500. So enough change for new upholstery, electronics and maybe a newer trailer.
Old 22 May 2016, 11:20   #14

Had seen that.
What is the thought on make.
My understanding is they are maybe not the best, with very little shear and therefore fine in flat water but not really the kind of boat i would be looking at.
Old 22 May 2016, 11:28   #15

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
oops.
Old 22 May 2016, 11:40   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
No idea about that technical stuff. She did me well last summer as a backup boat when the ob on my big rib blew up.
Sorry was meant at Poly and the advert on fafb
Old 22 May 2016, 12:13   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Had seen that.
What is the thought on make.
My understanding is they are maybe not the best, with very little shear and therefore fine in flat water but not really the kind of boat i would be looking at.
I've never been on a BWM so can't speak from experience. However as I understand it they share some heritage with Parker (and some others) who Ive never heard anyone question their sea keeping.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:29   #18

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
No one has really mentioning weight when towing. A 6.5 is going to be on a 2t. My 5.85 is on a 1.5t and weighs 1.4t. Just worth taking into account what weight you can tow.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:41   #19

Ok. Will explore further.
Regularly tow 3.5t of not very friendly or well behaved cattle l, have my b and e licence. So that side I am happy with.
Old 22 May 2016, 13:39   #20

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
I'd always choose the largest boat possible within budget constraints, - primarily for usable space and better sea-keeping. The difference between a 5.5 and 6.5 in seas is significant, I recently went from a 6.5 to a 8m and there worlds apart in capability, oh, and screw the cost, you only live once

Tags
rib