Old 25 April 2014, 08:53   #1

Town: Isle of Harris
Length: 6m +
First RIB wanted- Humber/Ribcraft

I am seeking my first RIB which has been on my to-do list for some time.

Ribcraft or Humber ideally.
5.8m to 6.3m.
Age no older than 5 years.
Outboard power around 100hp.
Seeking a very good unabused example.
With trailer.
Tried to buy one on ebay but seller is a timewaster.
Hope someone can help with my wish list...
Cash waiting for the right boat. Realsitic budget.
Based in deepest Scotland but happy travel.

Thanks
John
Old 25 April 2014, 09:31   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnskip44 View Post
I am seeking my first RIB which has been on my to-do list for some time.

Ribcraft or Humber ideally.
5.8m to 6.3m.
Age no older than 5 years.
Outboard power around 100hp.
Seeking a very good unabused example.
With trailer.
Tried to buy one on ebay but seller is a timewaster.
Hope someone can help with my wish list...
Cash waiting for the right boat. Realsitic budget.
Based in deepest Scotland but happy travel.

Thanks
John
Shouldn't have any problems finding a Humber...but a Ribcraft may well take a little more 'Leg Work' .....although some of us would say it's defiantly worth it
Try giving the Factory a ring,they often know about boats for sale, or coming up,which aren't on the Web site.
Best of luck!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 11:30   #3

Town: Isle of Harris
Thanks for that.
Been in touch with Ribcraft, nowt doing but gave me link to falmouth
Ribcraft 585 for sale, Ribcraft 585 on brokerage with trailer
Not sure about the price....
Any opinion?
I was led to believe Humber n Ribcraft were of similar standing?
Ta
John
Old 25 April 2014, 12:10   #4

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Ribcraft 585 and Humber 6/6.3 Ocean Pro appeal to the same group of ribbers, both boats are extremely capable and strongly constructed.
I would just keep looking at the market and find a good one of either make.
I would definitely look at upping your engine size to circa 150 bhp .
Good hunting.
Old 25 April 2014, 13:37   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
RC 585 and Humber OP 6.3 are a different beast.

Owning a Humber, I would say RC are slightly better finished, but you not only pay more at the RRP but you pay more 2nd hand. The ever so slight better finish is neglible, but evident. In terms of performance in the water and durability, there's nothing much in it, unless you compare apples with pears. ie A shallow V Humber vs a deep V RC for example. The RC 585 is a very nice boat, but there are less of them than say the 6m Destroyer which is a fairer comparison. The Ocean Pro is a different hull than the destroyer and is a very highly rated, tested over time hull that has done cross Atlantic and Arctic Challenges. It has more spray rails giving a drier ride and sits slightly higher in the water at speed. It is slightly more expensive than the Destroyer but you gets what you pay for. There's more variety in the Humber hull models and they also all come in different beam sizes. The two most common of your size i would say are the 585 RC and the 6m Humber Destroyer, then the bigger 6.3m Ocean Pro Humber and the 6.5m RC. Parked next to eachother, the two different size boats look like they are twice the size. Whilst only 0.3m longer (Humber) Typically the volume of the boat and overall size could circa 30% bigger as the beam is usually bigger too. Factor that in and you need a bigger engine and fuel tanks etc on the bigger boats, more running costs etc

Go look at them and make your own mind up, but your initial thoughts of RC or Humber are in not far off the mark. I personally would include Ribquest of recent years too. They fit in the similar bracket of price and build. All IMHO. Good luck.
Old 25 April 2014, 18:42   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Ribcraft are a far better finished boat than the Humber. This is reflected in the prices they respectively achieve.
Old 25 April 2014, 19:18   #7

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: Hornet
Make: XS Ribs
Engine: Mercury 150
Hello, we used to have a Humber but upgraded to an XS 650 which is fantastic, however she is now for sale due to kids growing up. Take a peek and contact us if of any interest XS Ribs 6.5m DeLuxe rib For Sale
Old 25 April 2014, 21:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Ribcraft are a far better finished boat than the Humber. This is reflected in the prices they respectively achieve.

Quote: far better finished. LOL "far" is a subjective word. This forum makes me laugh in that opinion is considered without a subjective or objective viewpoint. What are you prepared to pay? What do you want from a boat? Make your own mind up. A lot on here are persuaded by their view and others. A ribeye can be perfect for one, a disaster for others!! A Humber, ribcraft, scorpion the same.

Donations for Round Anglesey Macmillan 2014 https://www.justgiving.com/Rib-net/?..._page_creation
Old 25 April 2014, 21:39   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Ribcraft are better finished than Humber. An RC is a well put together product. However, as popular as they are, I'm not a huge fan of the RC585, prone to being bow light and a bit bouncy in my opinion. For my money, the 5.8 Vipermax is the pick of the 5.8ers, but they are a rare beast in the classified sections.

OP, take care to filter out the 'big-up what you own' effect. It permeates into most 'advice' threads.
Old 25 April 2014, 21:46   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Quote: far better finished. LOL "far" is a subjective word. This forum makes me laugh in that opinion is considered without a subjective or objective viewpoint. What are you prepared to pay? What do you want from a boat? Make your own mind up. A lot on here are persuaded by their view and others. A ribeye can be perfect for one, a disaster for others!! A Humber, ribcraft, scorpion the same.
Humber are a budget RIB (by UK built standards). Ribcraft are anything but. They're both good RIBs, but paying for either is a totally different experience. It's reflected in the spec offered as standard and to some extent, the finish. Quality of build is a different discussion and one I am not experienced enough to comment on but I'd go to sea in either without any concerns....
Old 25 April 2014, 22:06   #11

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
How does the Humber differ from a Northcraft or Tornado? All three are built in Hull but how does the quality and design differ?

What about a Ribeye?
Old 25 April 2014, 22:10   #12

Willk
Agreed, though "budget" rib is the wrong impression to give, especially for one that's crossed the Atlantic, been used in an arctic challenge and been used by many an inshore rescue/commercial service.

"Budget" in my mind is an eastern built rib with lack of integrity, humber that is not. I agree it's not a scorpion, goldfish or Parker, which are v expensive, yet excellent slow made ribs, as opposed to mass produced ribs, but once again this forum gives a narrow minded view on the rib world. Getting fed up.

May just walk away soon. Too much specifics and picking. Spent 6 months raising money for Mac and still people.criticised.

Maybe it's just me

Donations for Round Anglesey Macmillan 2014 https://www.justgiving.com/Rib-net/?..._page_creation
Old 25 April 2014, 22:12   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have owned/used second hand Deltas, Ribcrafts, Geminis, Avons, Ribtecs and Humbers. In my opinion the Humber had the worst build quality.

The Delta and Avon were by far the best, closely followed by the Ribcraft and the Ribtec (UK built version!). The Humber didn't have bad build quality but it wasn't as good as the others.

I wouldn't avoid a Humber if looking for a RIB to buy or say it had bad build quality.

Chris
Old 25 April 2014, 22:35   #14

Fair comment.

Old 26 April 2014, 07:14   #15

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
I have owned two Humbers and would have a third.

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 26 April 2014, 07:49   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
I would say RC are slightly better finished, but you not only pay more at the RRP but you pay more 2nd hand. The ever so slight better finish is neglible,
Come on HP!
Old 26 April 2014, 07:58   #17

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Willk
Agreed, though "budget" rib is the wrong impression to give, especially for one that's crossed the Atlantic, been used in an arctic challenge and been used by many an inshore rescue/commercial service.

"Budget" in my mind is an eastern built rib with lack of integrity, humber that is not. I agree it's not a scorpion, goldfish or Parker, which are v expensive, yet excellent slow made ribs, as opposed to mass produced ribs, but once again this forum gives a narrow minded view on the rib world. Getting fed up.

May just walk away soon. Too much specifics and picking. Spent 6 months raising money for Mac and still people.criticised.

Maybe it's just me

take a chill pill HP, it's only people's opinions and who gives a rats arse anyway, try owning a Revenger pal, everyone thinks is just a flat water poser but forget it's me that can't take the pounding not the rib, I just grin n bear it

n as for getting any criticism over raising money for MacMillan, I doubt it would be coming from MacMillan n it's them what matters in this instance, yes maybe more could have been done but I didn't see many rushing forward to do so, me n Jeff (Hutcheon) have both had previous experience of raising sponsorship in motorsport, it takes time n effort and I for one used up many of my holidays from work traveling the length n breadth of the country getting companies to sign on the dotted line, not playing those games again! I for one think you did the right thing agreeing with Whisper to tag any monies raised onto RIBnet MacMillan fund, best way to go IMHO, maybe next time a simpler approach would gain similar fund raising without the grief, just say a £25 donation from each rib on the cruise, would do the trick and in comparison to fuel used is a drop in the salty stuff! and as I've been very close to needing MacMillan myself recently, I for one think you, Tim n Linda and Chris Ty Calch deserve a few for the effort you put into raising funds for such a good cause!
Old 26 April 2014, 07:58   #18

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
How does the Humber differ from a Northcraft or Tornado? All three are built in Hull but how does the quality and design differ?

What about a Ribeye?
I had a Humber destroyer and although it was old it was a great boat and built to last but can't really comment on the Northcraft and the Tornado's.

I currently have a Ribeye 650S and love it as it has an excellent finish, good leisure layout with rear bench seats and loads of storage space on it. Avoid some of the earlier years as there were some problems and also check the tubes are Hypalon and not PVC as the material was optional and some earlier models.
Old 26 April 2014, 08:01   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Willk
Agreed, though "budget" rib is the wrong impression to give
I used the word "budget" as meaning "cheaper", not as some marketing jargon meaning "tat". To avoid any further misunderstanding, I use the word "cheaper" in the context of costing less money than other offerings in that particular marketplace.

I certainly wasn't picking on you (this time). I thought the way that you supervised your team of MacOrganisers was masterful...

Old 26 April 2014, 08:09   #20

No worries. Was on a train home last night after a few scoops. All good now... Well, not my head.

Tags
rib