Old 09 August 2017, 19:26   #1
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Family/Fishing Rib wanted

Hi i am looking for a Family/Fishing rib (mainly fishing i would like seating for six and has to have a bench seat for the wife (2 adults and 4 kids) must be seating not tubes and deck for family days out on the coast, rivers or lakes. within the confines of a 5-6 meter (none chinese) rib, with a min of 60hp on a 5m and working up as the rib gets bigger i have a budget of 8,000 GBP but can be upped a little for the right boat

Many thanks
Old 09 August 2017, 20:56   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i think seating for 6 a 60hp outboard and a budget of £8k are things that don't go together you need to do more homework
Old 10 August 2017, 07:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Why do you want a rib?
Old 10 August 2017, 08:21   #4
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Why do you want a rib?
i want a rib for days out poly, with the family on the coast, rivers and lakes but mainly for me to get out fishing because my 3.8mtr sib just aint cutting it.

Beerbely wat am i missing mate ?? or is it a few extra grand ??

Many thanks
Old 10 August 2017, 08:33   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I think a 60 hp with a planned six persons is too small. I run a 90 with 4 on which works well and doesn't have an issue with a couple more. Less then 90 on anything over 5m is, I believe, hard work unless it's just 1 or 2 people.

To have seating for six on a 5-6m will be a challenge too. I have seats for 5 on my 5.5 and there's no room for a bench. Take a wonder around a good marina and spy the set ups there ans see how they work.

I suspect you're taking a 6/ 6.5 for your seating and power needs, and with the no Chinese statement (I'd be keeping my mind open) you're restricting the market open to you.

Rib eye does do the configuration you're after, and at that point you're quite a few grand out

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 09:57   #6

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
A 5m rib with a 60hp propped correctly would get you up and going but more power is always more fun in my book.

I run a Yam f70 4stroke on a zodiac 550 pro tour with our family of five or the kids friends or two. I do run a small stainless pitch prop of 13 1/2 x13, but if it's just two of us I can easely pop on the spare bigger pitch prop but the fact most of my time is spent crossing rough bar conditions where the swell is rarely bellow 2m. I use a prop lock not the normal nut and split pin, the prop lock is quicker to change props with.

Room is always going to be an issue, my lot sit on a large cooler fish box on on the double seat behind the centre console. There's always the tubes to sit along, you can fit foot straps to the floor to help with hanging on.

I did look at the 650pro but the extra length doesn't really give that much more room and the running costs pretty much double. My 550pro tour also fits through my standard sized garage doors meaning I can keep it safe within our home. I'm more than happy with my boat and its handling capabilitys, I use mine for offshore game fishing (80km) to snorkel and diving shallow inshore reefs.

By the way what age are the kids, keep in mind they often don't all end up going out together. One gets invited to a birthday or feels sick etc means mums is most likely not to be onboard either. The whole family trips are great but I can only remember one in the the last two years ( 500hrs of boating).
Old 10 August 2017, 11:31   #7
neo

Thanks for the info guys and yes i know i was asking a lot realy for the small price i wanted to pay but did have a contingency of 2,000 for that extra push but even with that i was still finding it hard.

Jonp its funny you should comment with your 5.5 open pro because i have just put a deposit down on a 2005 zodiac pro open with a Suzuki 115 (2005/6) all in great condition, the seating aint what i wanted but it has seating for 4 and a large raised bow storage that i can put a get a comfy seat mat made for it i my wife has twins 11yrs to an old relationship and i have 2 to an old relationship to, 10 and 5, so my 2 would not be coming out every time to say the least so 70% of the time it will be just the 4 of us (my my wife and 2 11yrs) i think i am happy with what i am buying as i was looking at the same rib but a 2007 model (both engine and rib) and that was going for 10,000 GBP with a 90 Evinrude and when this other one (all be it 2 yrs older) came along i jumped on it big time I am just hoping its just as nice in the flesh as it is in the pics
Old 10 August 2017, 12:07   #8

Length: 6m +
I have a halmatic Pacific 22 for sale 140hp diesel 6.5 meters £8000
Old 10 August 2017, 12:19   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Thanks for the info guys and yes i know i was asking a lot realy for the small price i wanted to pay but did have a contingency of 2,000 for that extra push but even with that i was still finding it hard.

Jonp its funny you should comment with your 5.5 open pro because i have just put a deposit down on a 2005 zodiac pro open with a Suzuki 115 (2005/6) all in great condition, the seating aint what i wanted but it has seating for 4 and a large raised bow storage that i can put a get a comfy seat mat made for it i my wife has twins 11yrs to an old relationship and i have 2 to an old relationship to, 10 and 5, so my 2 would not be coming out every time to say the least so 70% of the time it will be just the 4 of us (my my wife and 2 11yrs) i think i am happy with what i am buying as i was looking at the same rib but a 2007 model (both engine and rib) and that was going for 10,000 GBP with a 90 Evinrude and when this other one (all be it 2 yrs older) came along i jumped on it big time I am just hoping its just as nice in the flesh as it is in the pics

Just go steady untill you really get used to it as that's a lot of power on that boat. The hull has slightly different chines on the newer models. Look into the UV protecting cleaners, these keep the tubes looking like new.

All the best, hope it all works out for you.
Old 10 August 2017, 12:41   #10

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Why a RIB, for your requirements a boat like a Tehri would surely be much better suited. High/safe sides with rails for kids, dry ride, plenty seating and storage, ideal for fishing, arguably a bit quicker/easier with a smaller motor...
Old 10 August 2017, 12:43   #11
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Just go steady untill you really get used to it as that's a lot of power on that boat. The hull has slightly different chines on the newer models. Look into the UV protecting cleaners, these keep the tubes looking like new.

All the best, hope it all works out for you.
Thank you my friend and yes i will not be taking any of my kids out in it just yet until i get the feel for it and yes its nice lump for a 5.5 but its only as fast as you want it to go and i am not going to push it
Mostly i am just over the moon i am on the rhib ladder to bigger and better things (i hope hahaha)
Old 10 August 2017, 12:54   #12
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Why a RIB, for your requirements a boat like a Tehri would surely be much better suited. High/safe sides with rails for kids, dry ride, plenty seating and storage, ideal for fishing, arguably a bit quicker/easier with a smaller motor...
It was/is a rib i wanted not a boat i just like them better easier to handle to get in and out of water easier to tow about from lake to lake or coast to coast and if a boat goes over it goes down, but if a rib goes over i just climb on top,
i just find the rib more attractive as appose to a boat

Regards Ian.
Old 10 August 2017, 15:50   #13

hi glad you have found something your happy with .my comment was referring to getting a 5m rib with seating for 6 is a push then expecting a 60hp outboard to provide the jollies is unrealistic .what you have bought sounds like an ideal solution the zodiac will have room for 4 no bother and a 115 outboard will be perfectly fine.hopefully we will see you out from Hartlepool soon
Old 10 August 2017, 16:07   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819

Neo - I meant the same at Stig, why not a hardboat - however you've obviously made up your mind. I think you are probably underestimating the flotation ability of some modern hardboats, and as Stig pointed out you can get options offering more space, power, seating, freeboard etc. Perhaps not as good for playing in big waves, but most folk don't take families in those conditions.
Old 10 August 2017, 16:55   #15
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Neo - I meant the same at Stig, why not a hardboat - however you've obviously made up your mind. I think you are probably underestimating the flotation ability of some modern hardboats, and as Stig pointed out you can get options offering more space, power, seating, freeboard etc. Perhaps not as good for playing in big waves, but most folk don't take families in those conditions.
Hi poly and yes neither do i or will not be having my family out in poor to bad conditions but as i mentioned this is a duel role rib primarily me out fishing and will be out doing my thing fishing and relaxing, (may be a few giggly waters) but as when we do forecast a nice sunny day and the tide and swell plays ball then it will then become a family boat for up and down the coast rivers or lakes

Many thanks Ian
Old 10 August 2017, 17:04   #16
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
hi glad you have found something your happy with .my comment was referring to getting a 5m rib with seating for 6 is a push then expecting a 60hp outboard to provide the jollies is unrealistic .what you have bought sounds like an ideal solution the zodiac will have room for 4 no bother and a 115 outboard will be perfectly fine.hopefully we will see you out from Hartlepool soon
Berrbelly thank you my friend yes i think i have found a suited boat to my needs as i say i been looking at the same boat but it was a 2007 and same age evinrude 90 for 10g and was poised ready to pounce on it but then this came along at 2 years older but yet still in great shape for 3g less, with a bigger arse
so yes at this very moment in time i am happy with what i have bought and yes i will take you up on the offer of a run out at some point were do you launch from i am at the yacht club

Cheers Ian.
Old 10 August 2017, 17:31   #17
neo

does anyone know of any retailers locally to the north east that would do a single bolster/fold down seat on a swivel with lockable positions and possibly on a hydrolic up down ram something like this on a pedestal

Relaxn Deluxe Sports Flip-Up Bucket Seat Light Grey And Dark Grey Upholstery
Old 10 August 2017, 18:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Berrbelly thank you my friend yes i think i have found a suited boat to my needs as i say i been looking at the same boat but it was a 2007 and same age evinrude 90 for 10g and was poised ready to pounce on it but then this came along at 2 years older but yet still in great shape for 3g less, with a bigger arse
so yes at this very moment in time i am happy with what i have bought and yes i will take you up on the offer of a run out at some point were do you launch from i am at the yacht club

Cheers Ian.
well my trailer is in the yacht club in my parking space but I currently have a warrior that is moored in the marina .ill keep an eye out for a new zodiac showing up my trailer is in no 73 next to the black Humber ocean pro
Old 10 August 2017, 19:08   #19
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
well my trailer is in the yacht club in my parking space but I currently have a warrior that is moored in the marina .ill keep an eye out for a new zodiac showing up my trailer is in no 73 next to the black Humber ocean pro
ok sounds good i am back in the uk for 2 days (19-20 aug) but busy then and then back in uk 1-10th aug so hopefully i get some decent weather to test run the new toy

Tags
rib