Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2013, 11:48   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: El Presidente
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, 70hp, 2st
2nd hand 4.5m - 5.0m RIB wanted (approx £5000)

I'm looking to buy a used 4.5m - 5.0m RIB for pottering about with the family and also towing water skiers and inflatables. We'll probably only use it 2 or 3 times a year, 1 of those being on our summer holiday in Spain and the others around Anglesey. Whilst we're in Spain we've found a beach that we can just pull the boat up onto each night and chain it to a post so size and weight are important as well.

I wish I'd made the decision earlier as this one http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/valiant...age-52409.html looked ideal.

This is replacing a 4.7m SIB with a 50hp 2 stroke engine with a heavy folding metal floor. One thing I am worried about is extra weight. Am I being delusional in thinking that we'll still be able to pull a RIB up the beach in the same way that we did with the SIB?

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 18 April 2013, 13:13   #2

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Depends how many people — we pull our safety boats up a fairly steep shingle beach by hand using lengths of thick plastic tubing as "ways". Half a dozen would probably be enough, but more is easier if you can leave them on the beach when you launch.

Edit: you can see the ways in my avatar photo — the blue and yellow things under the boat.

Over a distance of fifty yards or so, an Avon SR4 could probably be done with four people as long as there aren't any really steep bits. One person to hold it level on the keel and the rest on the bow rope.

We also have a Ribcraft 4.8, and that's quite a bit harder to pull. It's on the verge of needing two people to hold it level, and five or more on the bow rope. If there aren't that many people around, we use a petrol-engined winch.

For a straight pull, you need a good thick rope to hold.

If the post is sturdy enough, you might find a block and tackle would make life easier. By hooking a single block to bow of the boat you can get double purchase without needing too much rope.
Old 18 April 2013, 14:12   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I know someone who has an old 4.5m Valiant with a less old 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke that has about 30 hours on it, it had a 2 man jockey console and a rear bench seat along with a Garmin 551s with sounder. If your interested PM me an email address and I'll pass it on to him.
Old 18 April 2013, 14:25   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by

I wish I'd made the decision earlier as this one [URL="http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/valiant-v-450-mariner-50hp-4-stroke-outboard-package-52409.html
http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/valiant-v-450-mariner-50hp-4-stroke-outboard-package-52409.html[/URL] looked ideal.

This was one of ours and it was a cracking little Rib.
Old 18 April 2013, 14:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Am I being delusional in thinking that we'll still be able to pull a RIB up the beach in the same way that we did with the SIB?
I think if you are a family of 4 then unless they are 14yr old boys (or big strapping lasses) then you might be struggling even with the "ways" approach. its probably possible, 2 adults can just move my 3.9m + 20 HP, but it is really hard work and I suspect will stop you wanting to use the boat like that. It is just to keep it safe whilst having lunch? once you learn to anchor etc you can relax, if its to bring ashore each night of a holiday then the trailer or a small trolley will help, but it depends on the surface, tyres, jockey wheel design etc.

There are solutions to most problems though so don't let it put you off.
Old 18 April 2013, 15:37   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: El Presidente
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, 70hp, 2st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
This was one of ours and it was a cracking little Rib.
It looked great, I wish that I'd made my decision earlier and gone for it. :-(

I've sent a PM to Thomas regarding his friends Valiant. :-)

Tags
rib