Old 28 December 2019, 07:40   #1

Length: 4m +
Zodiac Pro 500 vs 550

Wondering if anyone has a comparison/been in both of the zodiac pro 500 and 550 (or 9man to 12man/4.7 to 5.2). Particularly differences in rough water handling.
There isnt much size difference between the two, I wonder the difference it makes?
Old 28 December 2019, 12:34   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwell View Post
Wondering if anyone has a comparison/been in both of the zodiac pro 500 and 550 (or 9man to 12man/4.7 to 5.2). Particularly differences in rough water handling.
There isnt much size difference between the two, I wonder the difference it makes?
I have a 550 which handles with great confidence offshore ( NSW coast up to 100k offshore). Ive not been in the 500 but I do have friends who use a 4m rib out around Montague island in some pretty poor conditions, as well as rough bar crossings.

Where about are you and do you have a boat in mind ?
Old 28 December 2019, 20:11   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Had a Zodiac Pro 7 Man (rated for 50hp), so matter of inches between 4.9m (rated 70hp, but normally powered with 60hp). They are relatively shallow V hulls and will slap in confused seas. If you can, then always go for extra length. Zodiac has great after-sales and accessory service (take a deep breath before you order).
Old 28 December 2019, 23:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I have a 550 which handles with great confidence offshore ( NSW coast up to 100k offshore). Ive not been in the 500 but I do have friends who use a 4m rib out around Montague island in some pretty poor conditions, as well as rough bar crossings.

Where about are you and do you have a boat in mind ?
Hey mate Im up in Queensland, around brissy area. So mostly rough choppy bay to deal with, when offshore its generally closer in then you are down south. No boat in mind yet just tossing up between the 2. the smaller will fit in a garage so weighing up sea worthiness for that.
Old 29 December 2019, 11:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Had a Zodiac Pro 7 Man (rated for 50hp), so matter of inches between 4.9m (rated 70hp, but normally powered with 60hp). They are relatively shallow V hulls and will slap in confused seas. If you can, then always go for extra length. Zodiac has great after-sales and accessory service (take a deep breath before you order).
Thanks for the advice!! I know 550 would be the best option. will probably come down to whats available in our small aussie market when im ready to pull the trigger.
Old 29 December 2019, 11:48   #6

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwell View Post
Hey mate Im up in Queensland, around brissy area. So mostly rough choppy bay to deal with, when offshore its generally closer in then you are down south. No boat in mind yet just tossing up between the 2. the smaller will fit in a garage so weighing up sea worthiness for that.
I regularly head up north of you and use my rib out around Lady Musgrave, on several day trips and have been caught in 30+ knots SE each time. It's a long run back to 1770 in 2.5m chop but the boat is still able to hold 40kh.

I'm not sure about the hull degree the other member was mentioning on his boat but mine has a 25' which slices through chop. Also the newer ones like mine have better strakes that lift the boat and eliminate the chine walk some of the older ones were prone to when overpowering.

I keep toying with selling mine but it's so versatile and economical it's hard to let it go, just done 7 days straight offshore fishing and diving over Xmas.

I also tow it north of Port Douglas and head to the outer reefs up there which are subject to brisk wind chop, 50-60k offshore.

Mine is the 550 pro tour which is slightly narrower, meaning it will back into most standard garages, which is good for keeping it out of the sun. The Yam f70 gives around 300km range from the 100 lt underfloor tank, depending on load.

When you way up glass boats with wood underfoor, prone to rot and transome rebuilds and galvanic issues with aluminium the ribs are a pretty easy boat to keep. The tubes can be taken off by just one person at a pinch and a new set will set you back around $7000 after 10-15 years.
Old 29 December 2019, 11:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I regularly head up north of you and use my rib out around Lady Musgrave, on several day trips and have been caught in 30+ knots SE each time. It's a long run back to 1770 in 2.5m chop but the boat is still able to hold 40kh.

I'm not sure about the hull degree the other member was mentioning on his boat but mine has a 25' which slices through chop. Also the newer ones like mine have better strakes that lift the boat and eliminate the chine walk some of the older ones were prone to when overpowering.

I keep toying with selling mine but it's so versatile and economical it's hard to let it go, just done 7 days straight offshore fishing and diving over Xmas.

I also tow it north of Port Douglas and head to the outer reefs up there which are subject to brisk wind chop, 50-60k offshore.

Mine is the 550 pro tour which is slightly narrower, meaning it will back into most standard garages, which is good for keeping it out of the sun. The Yam f70 gives around 300km range from the 100 lt underfloor tank, depending on load.

When you way up glass boats with wood underfoor, prone to rot and transome rebuilds and galvanic issues with aluminium the ribs are a pretty easy boat to keep. The tubes can be taken off by just one person at a pinch and a new set will set you back around $7000 after 10-15 years.
Thanks for the response mate. Ive seen some of your stories on aussie forums too, its good too see how well such a small sized and ecomonical to run boat can perform.

Im running the baby stabi at the moment and as stable and safe as it is it does bang along like any other alloy boat (only 16degrees). Hence wanting something more comfortable to ride in even if it means giving up some space. Im sure it will repay me in comfort and allow way more days out fishing and spearing!!

Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between here in Aus, Ill definitely keep an eye out if you do end up looking to sell. You definitely seem to get some good use out of yours which is good to see.
Old 29 December 2019, 16:30   #8

Town: Blackburn
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Hi, I have a Pro 9, my second zodiac and there are a couple of 5.5 where I am. Spent most of my time in Avon Sea Riders 4, 4.7, 5.4 & 6m along with tornados, vikings & xs

I'd certainly agree with the comment about the hull, think it could be best described as a Medium V hull, My boat handles well when its calm and looks the best out of all the Ribs I've driven and the dealer service is great. But if its choppy I'd prefer to be in a 4m ASR than my 4.7

From the others Ive seen I think the 5.5 would be a much better buy, the extra 50cm would make a massive difference at that size. Although if money & garage size can afford 6m plus is what I'd look at
Old 29 December 2019, 17:04   #9

Town: Lake Lanier, GA, USA
Length: no boat
Only 1/2 meter or so, but the Pro 550 seems like a lot more boat than the Pro 500, at least as offered in the US.

I plan to order a Pro 550 in early 2020 -- 115 hp Yamaha, console with front seat, bolster/leaning post, triple bench seat. Mostly lake use with occasional foray into salt water.
Old 06 January 2020, 22:36   #10

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
Ive owned both boats and the 550 is a much bigger boat in all dimensions to a 500.
Old 10 January 2020, 01:00   #11

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
Ive owned both boats and the 550 is a much bigger boat in all dimensions to a 500.
I have a friend with the Bombard equivalent (I think) to the 500. The one up Bombard includes some things like inboard fuel tank rather than Jerry cans. I have no idea if that's the same with the Zodiacs, but if it is, I'd say that alone would justify the extra cost.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac