Old 15 April 2013, 12:28   #1

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Zodiac pro 500

Hi all. I bought a Zodiac rib last September and for reasons of weather,work,gig rowing and more work I have yet to get it on the water and see how it handles and feels. I know that it is not a tough,rough handle any condition type deep v rib and that it is set up more for leisure use.
If any members out there own this type of rib what is it like at handling average conditions on journeys up the coast or in slightly rougher conditions? I know it will handle better than my old 3.7m sib but as I will not be in a position to take it out till mid May I would be interested in what to expect from those with this type of rib.
Old 15 April 2013, 20:35   #2

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Hi, is it an Pro or a Pro Open? Either way, I think they have the same hull, just different seating arrangements (someone here may be better informed).

I have a Pro Open 550, and can vouch that it is brilliant when the water is flat, but starts to get a bit bouncy as the waves pick up. The weekend before last we were out in So'ton water, Saturday was a force 3 - beautiful, Sunday was a f4-5 and wind against tide - I got airbourne! so you have to take it a bit more easy. That said, she was fine with it - just not too comfortable.

Mine has a 90HP, but is 0.5m longer and probably heavier arrangement of seating, etc. - she flys, and so should yours given relatively flat water.
Old 15 April 2013, 20:58   #3

That's great to hear. Mine has a yam 60 and will be used mainly to move around the south Cornish coast.
If the weather is favourable I might some day go to the Scillies but the weather window would have to be both ways. Just out of interest what size waves were you dealing with?
Old 15 April 2013, 21:08   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The Zodiac 500 is basically a renamed Pro 4.7 which was previously called Pro 9 Man! You've Zodiac marketing to thank for that one!

Now comes in Classic, Touring and Sport variations, which includes different deck layouts, tube design and material, etc. As far as I'm aware the hull is exactly the same across the three models.

I used to have a Pro 7 Man which was renamed the Pro Classic 420 (version below 500). It's a shallow v hull, so great in decent weather, but once the wind gets up it will 'slap' in the rough stuff. Something to be aware of - as your passengers won't appreciate the ride handling if the weather changes. I know myself that making headway against wind and tide can be uncomfortable and wet!

Not sure which engine you've gone for? The 500 used to be sold with a 4-stroke 60hp (rated for 70hp max) which seemed to offer best weight/power configuration. Move fuel tanks if possible to under console to spread weight distribution.

Main thing is to get out and enjoy it.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:15   #5

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I have another flavour of basically the same RIB, mine's an Avon 470 with a Mariner 60, good for about 32 knots flat out and feels solid, ok when the going gets lumpier.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:22   #6

Thank you that's great info. Mine has a yam 60 4 stroke. It has a built in fuel tank in the console which I believe is 35l I will find out when I fill it up!
It's my first venture into a rib after having a sib for the last 4 years. My eventual aim is to go for a deep v rib with better offshore attributes. If decent weather and sea state coincide with my day off I will be out like a shot!! Just not happened yet!!
Old 15 April 2013, 22:04   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
You'll be fine. Bob Keeper did a few trips to the Scillies with us with his 550 Pro, no problem . They're OK in most conditions, where do you launch? We launch our SR at Durgan on the Helford, feel free to hook-up sometime.
Old 16 April 2013, 06:34   #8

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamn View Post
That's great to hear. Mine has a yam 60 and will be used mainly to move around the south Cornish coast.
If the weather is favourable I might some day go to the Scillies but the weather window would have to be both ways. Just out of interest what size waves were you dealing with?
We were in Southampton water, which is fairly sheltered, so waves were only 18"-2ft. That said we were going pretty much flat out.

As other suggest, you will be fine, it is just less comfortable with passengers bouncing on their seats sometimes.
Old 16 April 2013, 06:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You'll be fine. Bob Keeper did a few trips to the Scillies with us with his 550 Pro, no problem . They're OK in most conditions, where do you launch? We launch our SR at Durgan on the Helford, feel free to hook-up sometime.
Hi Mollers
I used to launch at Helford with my sib but the Zodiac would need to be reversed straight into the water. Durgan is an option but if the tides are not right I don't fancy reversing across the sand with my car.
I am hoping to use Falmouth even though its a little walk after parking the trailer. It would be great to hook-up sometime. Do you keep your SR on the water during the summer? If so I have probably rowed past it a few times.

Adam
Old 16 April 2013, 07:47   #10

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi Mollers
It is quite likely that the 500 Pro will be very comfortable compared to your Sib, so you might be pleasantly surprised.This is only my experience, and probably leaves me wide open to abuse, but I have owned several Sibs from 3.2 to 3.8m, with both aluminium and air floors. None of them were as comfortable as any of the small (5.00-5.35m) Ribs I have owned. Go and enjoy it and don't worry about changing to a deep V just yet.
Old 16 April 2013, 11:50   #11

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Oops. That was supposed to be "Hi Adam"
Apologies Mollers.
Old 16 April 2013, 12:29   #12

Yep, the SR sits on a swinging mooring off of the Ferryboat. It's the one with the orange A frame.
Old 16 April 2013, 18:42   #13

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
I have a 4.7 pro 9 with a 60 4stroke on the back and it is great. Went to Ireland from Scotland with another zodiac of the same spec and a humber last year and planning on Isle of Man this year. It is a great little boat that feels safe in the conditions that you would want to launch in. Light enough for my wife and I to launch and recover easily and a great fishing platform as well as a tug to tow a wake board behind. I am sure that you will enjoy it.
Old 16 April 2013, 18:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Fox View Post
I have a 4.7 pro 9 with a 60 4stroke on the back and it is great. Went to Ireland from Scotland with another zodiac of the same spec and a humber last year and planning on Isle of Man this year. It is a great little boat that feels safe in the conditions that you would want to launch in. Light enough for my wife and I to launch and recover easily and a great fishing platform as well as a tug to tow a wake board behind. I am sure that you will enjoy it.
Sounds great.

Have you experience of any other ribs?
Old 16 April 2013, 20:40   #15

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Like you I went from Zodiac 3.8 sib to a 4.2 zodiac rib with a 40hp Suzuki. The 4.2 was ok but having got the 4.7 with 60HP mariner, its night and day. Sea keeping around Mull of Galloway in the tidal races off the mull and other points is fine. Yes a Ribcraft 5.8 with 150Hp would be a dream but try launching that over soft sand and shingle without a tractor and a lottery win. The 4.7 is all we need, agile and fun and the car does the donkey work on land.
Old 16 April 2013, 21:39   #16

Quote:
The 4.7 is all we need, agile and fun and the car does the donkey work on land.
Yeah, but there is another 4.7m.
Old 17 April 2013, 07:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

Yeah, but there is another 4.7m.
I do believe you mean the mighty SR!!
If yours is the one moored just off the 6kt marker than I passed it last night at about 7kts in a gig!
Looks good there are a couple of other SRs that hang around on the river but there owners live on the dark side!!!!
Old 17 April 2013, 07:36   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
I quite liked my pro 500, i completely rejigged it from the standard consol set up, it had a merc 60 four stroke which was a good weight combination.
It really was a flat water boat, i tool it into some nasty stuff and it felt like it was made of paper, inside the hull is just flat. literally just flat sheet so i curtailed my wavejumping exploits as i thought the hull would implode!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	78844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	78845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	78846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	78847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	78848  

Old 03 May 2013, 12:15   #19

Town: Shieldhill
Boat name: Concorde
Make: Southern Pacific 4.5
Engine: 60 Mercury Big Foot
Isle of Man

Quote:
Like you I went from Zodiac 3.8 sib to a 4.2 zodiac rib with a 40hp Suzuki. The 4.2 was ok but having got the 4.7 with 60HP mariner, its night and day. Sea keeping around Mull of Galloway in the tidal races off the mull and other points is fine. Yes a Ribcraft 5.8 with 150Hp would be a dream but try launching that over soft sand and shingle without a tractor and a lottery win. The 4.7 is all we need, agile and fun and the car does the donkey work on land.
Lets hope for calm weather and smooth seas.....!
Old 22 May 2015, 21:41   #20

Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp
Hi there, for what it's worth, and I'm no expert, I note that for the current models (2015) Zodiac state the Pro 420 Classic has a 19 degree hull angle, the 500 has 22 degrees and the 550 24 degrees. Am I right that this makes the 550 deep V, the 420 not deep V and the 500 on the borderline . . . ? They don't state hull angle for the Pro Opens.