Old 28 September 2021, 13:22   #21

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
A shame you didnt get a pic so we could ID the species.

Yeah, Box Jelly family is huge, all of which sting, but only a few known species to cause fatality is my understanding. Had a quick look at wiki and that seems to back it up.

Not fun factor either way :-).

All this talk makes Aus diving sound horrible, its not, has some awesome things. just need to be aware and take appropriate precautions.

Also Im not an expert on sharks or jellies folks, just my opinions, so ppl disclaimer: do your own research :-). The good with the not so good as they say.

I may have some of the jellyfish on my daughters GoPro. The day before yesterday we had dirty 14'c water, we also saw a great white just 500m before our dive site for lobsters. We weren't long in the water, simply got our legal amount of lobsters and got out of there!!!!

Today Ive been commercially skippering an urchin boat with two divers on hooka, again dirty cold water and 27kts of wind. Stuffed my back lifting fish boxes but hoping to get back out in the morning to film paper nautilus after todays divers saw them in their hundreds. Might use the zodiac tomorrow as I haven't had chance to fill my boat with fuel after the last few trips.
Old 28 September 2021, 17:33   #22
A1o

Length: no boat
Try getting fuel in the UK atm!!! Crazy times!!

Would love to see some footage particularly of Sharks, the barrier reef would be a dream to dive.. no scaremongering intended how far of shore do you tend to see the whites are they miles out at significant depths or a lot closer in than you’d imagine?

Dived the Med multiple times.. I reckon Egypt will be as close to a coral reef as I get!
Old 29 September 2021, 03:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post
Try getting fuel in the UK atm!!! Crazy times!!

Would love to see some footage particularly of Sharks, the barrier reef would be a dream to dive.. no scaremongering intended how far of shore do you tend to see the whites are they miles out at significant depths or a lot closer in than you’d imagine?

Dived the Med multiple times.. I reckon Egypt will be as close to a coral reef as I get!

Great whites are common in shallow water, often cruising the back of surf breaks in 1-2m of water. A fair few young lads catch and release them from the beach and headlands in my area. We have a pretty large seal colony here and great white numbers are greatly on the increase. This video shows a bit of my local area and a bit of where we dive further north in warmer waters. We rarely take cameras underwater anymore.

Old 29 September 2021, 05:26   #24

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Great whites are common in shallow water, often cruising the back of surf breaks in 1-2m of water. A fair few young lads catch and release them from the beach and headlands in my area.

Yep I concur, although they have made catching whites purposefully illegal due to them being relatively endangered.

Im pretty sure they spawn at Stockton Beach, above NewCastle, they leave the area once about 10ft is what I was told.

They are awesome to see. But best to learn how to handle sharks before attempting it. Id not purposefully dive with Whites. Keep in mind they are a mammal eater, hence why surfers etc get taste tested quite often. They kinda look like a large sea mammal on the surface, sharks bite to figure out if something is food. Thats my opinion anyway.

My fav shark is the Mako Mako, in Maori it means "man eater". The English term is Mako, or short fin mako etc. I love seeing these guys in the water. Fastest fish in the sea I believe. Interestingly across Polynesia all the way to Hawaii the name is fairly similar.
Old 29 September 2021, 06:38   #25

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
What about a Gemini 505? Sold my 470, didnt really cut the mustard. I dont like the jockey consoles though, damn hard to stand and straddle etc

[QUOTE=jonp;844116] We rarely take cameras underwater anymore.

/QUOTE]

Is that your daughters video Jonp? Its nice nd calm, I hate over the top music. Good video.
Old 29 September 2021, 08:07   #26
A1o

Length: no boat
Quote:
Great whites are common in shallow water, often cruising the back of surf breaks in 1-2m of water. A fair few young lads catch and release them from the beach and headlands in my area. We have a pretty large seal colony here and great white numbers are greatly on the increase. This video shows a bit of my local area and a bit of where we dive further north in warmer waters. We rarely take cameras underwater anymore.

Beautiful video, thank you for sharing.
Old 29 September 2021, 09:40   #27

[QUOTE=SpearRib;844119]What about a Gemini 505? Sold my 470, didnt really cut the mustard. I dont like the jockey consoles though, damn hard to stand and straddle etc

Quote:
We rarely take cameras underwater anymore.

/QUOTE]

Is that your daughters video Jonp? Its nice nd calm, I hate over the top music. Good video.
Yes it was one of hers from a few years back. These days most video work she does is for fisheries or other research groups who own the copyright if they are paying for her services, so those don't get posted on social media.

Tags
zodiac