Old 21 December 2016, 09:14   #1

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: itsjustgoodbusiness
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard Volvo Penta
MMSI: RO666
Zodiac Hurricane 733 repower

I have a Zodiac Hurricane 733 with a blown motor. Need to look at options.
The inboard, that used to go quite well, dropped a valve. The piston then hit the valve. The Volvo Penta dealer wants $18k to fix this, so I am reconsidering options. The options are:
1. Fix the motor at the dealer for $18k
2. Fix the same inboard motor elsewhere, maybe cheaper
3. Add a pod on the back with a single outboard, say 250 hp
4. Hang a motor directly on the back of the transom

As this is a diving boat, a pod sounds good as its a good entry and exit point when spearfishing.

My mate with a similar boat says it might destroy the handling capability of the boat. The current (broken) engine is mounted under the floor, in the centre of the boat. He reckons moving the weight to the back of the boat will make it less seaworthy.

One of the main considerations to remove the inboard is that you create 2 huge underfloor hatches. One where the motor was and one where the driveshaft goes.

My question, will the boat handle badly with the motor on the back or does the length of the boat make up for this.
Old 22 December 2016, 00:15   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Zodiac Hurricane 733 repower

I have the same boat with the zodiac outboard bracket and a Suzuki 250. It handles amazing (the full floatation bracket fixes the balance question) and it goes like the wind and still gets about 3mpg. Yes removing the diesel does make for a mountain of storage but you will need a new fuel tank, diesel tank is too small. No, the stock zodiac pod is NOT a good location for entry and exit, there is no space.

Ryan Pratt on here had one modified or built custom so there was some space and a ladder, do a search.

My picture makes it looks like there is more space and with a couple changes there might be. If you don't use a rope guide that would help a ton, the black bars. And if you remove or modify the existing transom cap. The bollards and arch seriously get in the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	117479
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	117480

Tags
zodiac