Old 17 May 2019, 17:56   #1

Length: 3m +
Zodiac futura sport

Hi guys

I hope you don’t mind me asking this as a first post, I’m relatively new to ribs and sibs I currently have a small 3m sib with a 9.8hp on the back. Due to lack of use this has seized which I hope to get fixed at some point. However- I am thinking about getting a much bigger boat as I now have space to store one.

The boat in question I have been offered is a zodiac futura sport (white and yellow one) it has the main console fitted along with a trailer and is fitted with a very tidy 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha on it.

It’s not seen much use and is in very good condition, I still need to check for stress fractures after reading online on the console but other than that looks in amazing condition.

What sort of money would something like this go for ? Just to gauge the price it’s been offered to me really. What sort of year were these made as well as I can’t find much information on this specific boat.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the big read !

Maudey
Old 17 May 2019, 18:18   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The big big question is what is its age (transom plate serial no will tell you) and has it the start of glue failure on the seams?? This is a common issue on older ones.
Old 17 May 2019, 18:23   #3

Thanks for the quick reply ! I shall message the seller now and find out.

Maudey
Old 17 May 2019, 18:51   #4

Town: Cheddleton
Boat name: Black Hawk III
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300
I would say probably 1995 to 2000 no later than that.

The really early futura sports were all red then they moved to the white / yellow / black mix, which is the one I had.

Out of interest does the boat have a yellow all over tailored cover?

As to price, I would probably say max £3k, engines may go forever but not the futura, your also getting to old searider money at that level - which is a 10 times better sea boat (both can carry the same engine, both have to go on a trailer, the Zodiac may go faster, but that's until you hit the first wave!, searider will then win hands down)
Old 17 May 2019, 19:01   #5

Hi vipermax80

Just waiting on a reply for the age of the boat. I will have a look at the sea rider for comparison.

Ermmm yes from memory it does have a all yellow cover. I’m unsure how common that is but t does it sound like you know of the machine ?

Maudey
Old 17 May 2019, 19:04   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The yellow and white Futura will be an early model, PVC of course and they fail at the seams. The seam used to run under the lace cuff, but they moved it to the waterline so it didn't get exposed to extremes of heat and sunlight.

Things to look for are the inflatable keel (they fail at the welded seam at the transom end). The speed tubes also take a battering. Depends very much how it's been looked after and if it's been under cover. Aluminium HD floors will outlive any ply version.

The ones I've seen have the jockey seat and wing mirrors (for towing) and are plug ugly. Better with an open plan layout to utilise space.

The Yamaha 50hp is a sought after engine (model G) probably more desirable than the boat.
Old 17 May 2019, 19:05   #7

If its got a yellow cover, then its probably my old boat, as I had a yellow cover tailor made for it. Post some pictures if you've got any.

Back to price, for me childhood memories so priceless.......but being serious a great Searider delux with a 50HP on the back sold a few weeks ago on this forum for £3k and it was a cracking boat.
Old 17 May 2019, 19:10   #8

"plug ugly" well I do wear specs, but I did quite like the look myself.

Thought the floor was a composite or at least a ply core, they were covered in some form of yellow rubber / plastic (but the bow section was black painted ply).
Old 17 May 2019, 19:23   #9

At the guessed age are they worth buying if stored under a cover and under a roof out of the sun?

How’d you find it vipermax80 ? Good boat in general/ if it was your old boat?

Any more estimates on the price for a boat of this age ?

Maudey
Old 17 May 2019, 19:30   #10

Great boats when it is flat, drove like it was on rails when cornering, always put a smile on my face.

But as mentioned above, large jockey console and inflatable boat not a good combination if there are any waves or more importantly wind, as you can't get your weight in the right place to balance the boat and engine....result bow in the air, holding for dear life, new pair of trousers etc

One just sold for a little of £2k with a 40hp and it was carrying some patches.
Old 17 May 2019, 21:09   #11

Thanks for all the reply’s. Said boat is available to me for £2k. I’m assuming that’s a good price if it has no damage or patches.

I live in Cheshire and would be wanting to use the boat on Windermere and coninston etc are boats of this size launchable on your own with the aid of an anchor ?

Apologies for the beginner questions.
Old 17 May 2019, 21:22   #12

That's a good price if its still in ok condition

Really needs to be launched into deep water to float it off the trailer as the 50HP is a heavy lump on the back, so its a good slip and a car or a couple of strong blokes to push it in.

As a side point, its not really a beginners boat, it can touch 45mph and if the wind gets under the hull you need to react quickly. See if the current owner will take you out in it, so you can get a feel for how it handles.
Old 18 May 2019, 06:05   #13

RIBase
This is available for £4,250. 2006, trailer, HD floor, ETEC 50 in Devon.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ard/1334000333
Old 18 May 2019, 08:21   #14

The link doesn’t work for me I’m afraid however the price is much more than I’d like to spend at the moment as I was close to buying a sib with 25hp on for £1400 and now looking at this one with 50hp thinking it’s a very good price.

In terms of performance I understand they can be unpredictable and very fast little boats but I’m confident it’s not out of my league with capabilities, besides i wouldn’t go tanking it around everywhere all the time.

Thanks for the advice. Just time to look at usability around my area although Wales is only an hour from me
Old 18 May 2019, 09:27   #15

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Is this the model... from a 2002 Zodiac brochure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futura sport 2002.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	129368  
Old 18 May 2019, 09:33   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudey View Post
The link doesn’t work for me I’m afraid however the price is much more than I’d like to spend at the moment as I was close to buying a sib with 25hp on for £1400 and now looking at this one with 50hp thinking it’s a very good price.

Thanks for the advice. Just time to look at usability around my area although Wales is only an hour from me
No problem. You need to login to RIBnet to see the link. The 2006 model looks sweet as a nut and low hours engine. At least shows you what's available model wise. Best of luck.
Old 18 May 2019, 15:24   #17

Ahh yeh I have seen that one on gumtree very nice boat, much prefer that arrangement with the seats to be honest. A lot more than the one I have been offered though. I wonder if you can get the seats retro fitted to the tubes or not.

Yes FENLANDER that’s the boat ! Assuming the boat is around the 2002 age it seems a very good price then compared to the linked gumtree one would you say ?
Old 18 May 2019, 16:38   #18

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Remember Coniston and Windermere have a 10mph speed limit. That’s right on the edge of planing with a small boat. You actually have to go over to get on the plane. It’s a crap speed to have as a limit so you usually end up going at displacement speed. 5-6mph. Windermere is busy so speed limits are strictly enforced.
Old 18 May 2019, 16:39   #19

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
In other words 50 hp is a total waste there
Old 18 May 2019, 17:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
In other words 50 hp is a total waste there
Haha yeh I understand that, it’s good to potter around though and picnic etc, just trying to justify buying a boat that lives on a trailer as the larger air decks that would fit in my boot are silly money for a much smaller set up.

Tags
zodiac