Old 12 January 2013, 02:37   #1

Length: 4m +
Zodiac Cherokee 480

HI! Im thinking of buying a cherokee 480 with 40 hp yamaha 2 stroke. The dealer says that it sails 32 knots, does that sound realistic ? u think it's true? And is there anything bad about the boat generally? Is it bad in rough sea, and so on...I like it very much because it has a lot of space and a big sunpad-area.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:26   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
No personal experience with it but I think that the consensus with this crowd will be that it is not a good rough water boat. Less V. But, depending on where you'll be using it, it could be a perfectly acceptable.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:32   #3

Yes ok, that was as i thought. But I'm going to use it in the inland-waters, and a little in the open sea, but not much. When I will be using it in the open sea, it will be in good and not rough weather. Dont u think it's okay for that?
Old 12 January 2013, 03:50   #4
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmusglarsen1 View Post
Yes ok, that was as i thought. But I'm going to use it in the inland-waters, and a little in the open sea, but not much. When I will be using it in the open sea, it will be in good and not rough weather. Dont u think it's okay for that?
Let some others chime in. I've never even seen one in person. I vaguely remember a thread a while back about a Cherokee. Do a search on rib.net. I'm pretty sure this guy enjoyed his for taking the kids out and going camping.

I'm on the mobile app so I can't see you're location, but inland waters should be fine. Get it checked out before you buy, etc., etc.
Old 12 January 2013, 10:34   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It's not going to win any contests in the beauty stakes, and it's definitely a shallow v hull. If you're using it inland waters then I'm sure it will be fine, but it will slap in the chop if you head to sea if the wind picks up. One for sale here in the UK. John Bridger Marine
Old 12 January 2013, 15:45   #6

Im from Denmark, so im buying a boat here what about the speed, does the 32knots with 40 hp seem allright ? The dealer says it's a acceleration prop for waterfun as waterski, wakeboard and so on..
Old 12 January 2013, 15:51   #7

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
depends on weight in the boat, water conditions etc. but doesn't sound impossible.
my 4m rib with a 30 yam two stroke will do just under 30 mph.
Old 12 January 2013, 16:24   #8

Town: Northport
Boat name: Zazu
Make: Nautica
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
I had a Zodiac YL380 with a 40 hp 2 stoke Yamaha for a number of years and it peroformed well but was a bit sloppy in rough water as others have said above. With just 2 aboard and in near perfect seas it could get near 32 knots with perfect trim.
I have also been on a friends 480 powered with a 60 HP which seemed quite capable but certainly no way was it 'over powered'.
I would be very skeptical to think that a 40 was the best power for that boat unless it was only used fo light loads and ever for water toys or skiing.
So if it were me I would approach any sea trial with the goal of heavily loading the boat and seeing if it can reasonably perform at correct rpm's and desired speeds. Maybe take out 5-6 adults and see what the time to plane is and what the resultant speeds are at various rpm's. It would also be imprtant to reach full rpns for a full engine life.

Hope this helps
Old 12 January 2013, 16:30   #9

Hi Smitty! Yes i will do that! The dealer says it can pull waterski while there is 4 people in the boat....I think i will change the 40hp to a 50/60/70 hp motor after i get it. Maybe sail with the 40hp for one season and then change to a bigger outboard.
Old 12 January 2013, 17:34   #10

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Don't buy a boat with the intention of changing the engine within a year. Sounds a bit underpowered for the seller's claim.
Old 12 January 2013, 18:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
Don't buy a boat with the intention of changing the engine within a year. Sounds a bit underpowered for the seller's claim.
why? Im only changing it if i can afford it, thats why im starting with 40hp. I cant buy the boat without the outboard, and that's the only cherokee that is for sale here in Danmark. Plus it's only MAYBE I will get a bigger outboard it's not for sure. Maybe i think the 40hp i allright and then i wont upgrade.
Old 18 January 2013, 13:46   #12

But is the boat that bad in some little waves? If the waves only are 1,5 - 2 feet high? And when people says it's bad in rough weather, what do you mean with that ? Can't it handle it - will the boat get ruined or break or something like that?