Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 June 2015, 21:47   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Your thoughts on a family RIB

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum as I don't (yet) own a RIB but plan to do so soon. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can help me with my buying options. I've been pottering around in RIBs on and off for the past 20 years as a dinghy instructor at club level, but have never really considered the practicalities of owning my own.

I'm after a family RIB for use around the Solent and the Jurassic Coast; one that can safely get me (and family) to and from the Isle of Wight; one that can comfortably seat 4 but can safely seat 8 on occasions; one that is not too much of a burden to tow and launch; and one that is affordable (up to £10k). Perhaps too much to ask!

I have been considering Ribtech 585 but came across this Solent RIB 650. I'm not too bothered by aesthetics as I'm sure it can clean up with a bit of effort. I'm not familiar with Solent RIBs but they seem well regarded on the forum mentions I've found. What do you think? Is this a reasonable price? What kind of problems should I be looking out for?

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated!
Old 18 June 2015, 01:03   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Hey mate I lived on the IOW most of my life until moving out here to Aus. I owned my first boat at 12 and have since spent my life in and around them both recreationally and commercially.

That link to the solent boat looks a weapon of a boat I would feel confident going just about anywhere in if it all checked out ok, good power on it too.
The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the seating but some people like those style of seats.

Out here Ive always owned bigger fibre glass boats but recently bought a new Zodiac 550 pro tour and love it for my family of 5, though its not very often we are all onboard. My boat is very capable in adverse conditions and I regularly fish 50k offshore in 20knts of wind, added to that we tend to get much bigger swells than I experienced in the UK (which is why Aus is so popular with surfers).

The waters around the IOW and the solent are more short chop than big seas so even a smaller boat might suit you.

Are you able to get a print out from the engine to see the hrs and what rpm its mainly been run at, also a service record? Maybe get someone to check the tubes out if its been kept outside without a cover all its life too.

JonD
Old 18 June 2015, 10:00   #3

Boat name: Scubaqua
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 115
MMSI: 244630361
RIBase
How bigger the boat how havier, and your car has to be able to tow it....
Old 18 June 2015, 10:51   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
OP - the boat in question appears to be the training boat that belonged to a now defunct RYA training outfit - google "Ribattack Limited". From what I'm seeing that suggests a build date of around 2004? I have no experience of the boat type but the tubes look almost end of life to me. The VHF will need to be replaced and the hull needs some gelcoat repair. Even if the tubes and engine have some life left in them, you'll have to sink a couple of grand into that thing to get it moving. IMHO, of course.
Old 18 June 2015, 16:29   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Thanks for your thoughts. It does look pretty well used (but looks don't bother me). As a first RIB it might be too much of a risk as I don't really know what I'm letting myself in for. I'll keep looking for a Ribcraft or Ribtec 585 nearer to home.
Old 18 June 2015, 16:49   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If willk is right (and I suspect he is) and that boat is going to cost you a couple of grand to get afloat then there are probably far better options with less heartache for 15k around in ready to go condition.
Old 18 June 2015, 17:36   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardyNickUK View Post
It does look pretty well used (but looks don't bother me).
Maybe they should. Cosmetic condition is a pretty good indicator of overall condition. If she looks rough, then chances are she'll be rough.
Old 19 June 2015, 00:28   #8

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
It can be hard to believe how quick the money disappears even into a new outfit let alone an older one.

Jon
Old 19 June 2015, 13:45   #9

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
It can be hard to believe how quick the money disappears even into a new outfit let alone an older one.

Jon
Very well said, buying something rougth at £10K may cost you £7K to get right, where you could buy something ready to go at £15K, once you start down the route of tube replacement, hull work, electrics, new batteries, new chart plotter, new VHF and aerial, sorting dodgy connections, hyrdralic issues etc etc it would soon suck your wallet dry.

Ive seen a 7.5m cobra in the area for £15k which looks fine and is a good family rib. Perhaps rethink approach and budget and ofcourse you can always make a seller an offer, some sellers of Ribs might not be so anxious to get top money as they may be financialy well off and just want to move on to the new toy (there are some sellers out there like that) so any offer might surprise you.
Old 20 June 2015, 17:42   #10

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
A 7.5m Cobra will be a big and heavy boat to tow. It will require at least a decent 4x4. My Revenger required work to tidy up, but it was a case of investing time rather than money.
Old 10 July 2015, 07:27   #11

Town: TORQUAY
Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you - sorry terrible pun, and in the market for a 6m RIB.

There is a RIBCRAFT 585 for sale just down the road in Plymouth at £12,995.

Did you ever get yourself sorted out in the end?

My concern is not knowing too much about an engine and her hours. This particular boat seems to be an ex-safety boat in Brixham which would suggest lots of hours. She then went up to Hants to a private owner.

I gather the Honda 90hp engine cannot be diagnosed or logged?!?!

Would be interested to know where your RIB search journey took you in the end.

Regards

James
Old 10 July 2015, 07:35   #12

90hp isn't a lot of engine for that hull, be underpowered.

There are other 585's for sale just now that you may want to check out.

Cheers
Old 10 July 2015, 07:49   #13

Town: TORQUAY
Cheers Xk59D.

What are we talking as a minimum - 150 hp?

Where is the best place to be looking please?
Old 10 July 2015, 08:29   #14

The sooz 140 is the most common you'll probably find on there. I think they are rated to 150hp though, check the ribcraft website out for specs.

Personally I'd want 115hp minimum on there and preferably the 140. As with anything used a compromise may need to be made. If you like the grey one with the Honda then go sea trial it and see if it suits your needs, you may be happy with the 90 as you have never had the bigger ones. If the hull and tubes are good you can repower at a later date if you feel the need.

Here is a video of the boat I assume your looking at https://youtu.be/p0ZtxT1GMUA the tubes look bare in places on the pics and video, needs a closer look.

Where to look is to keep googling really as they pop up in weird places.

BEWARE of scams, plenty about with this boat as it is so popular. You may find some very young 585's for less than 10k, total scams. Do not pay ANYTHING unless you are standing in front of it with the seller, not even a deposit.

Expect to pay 14k plus for a decent one circa 2006 ish and over 20 for more modern examples. This is assuming Max Outboards on there, be less with fewer ponies obviously or with high hour motors.

Cheers
Old 19 July 2015, 17:53   #15

Town: Porthcawl
Length: 6m +
Hi I looked at this boat and the Hin suggests it is 2002 not 2005 I can see where the seller may be confused as ribcraft stamp the hull Id numbers backwards so if you look at it upside down with a squint in your eye and the sun in the right direction you could see a 5 lol ask for a picture of in doubt the last two didgets are the year of manufacture for the hull anyway

Cheers
Paul
Old 19 July 2015, 21:16   #16

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Notwithstanding year of manufacture - although that is important - and why would anyone accept a wrong plate? - I totally agree with Xk59D - a 90HP on a 585 is totally underpowered - unless you're pootling around a lake as a safety boat (then why have a RC585 - especially with that 4 x2 layout).

Concur with him on price too (unfortunately).
Old 13 August 2015, 21:10   #17

Length: 10m +
I myself own an Atlantic 75 an I'm perfectly fine with 2 75hp mariners on the back
Every single boat I have ever owned is ex rnli

Tags
rib