Old 06 September 2014, 19:43   #21

Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Yours is looking good Firefly. The black wear patches and bow rubbing strake make the boat look a lot more modern. [thumbs]

I finally got to 1000 grit today!!!! So I'll flip it back the right way tomorrow and start on the deck and transom. The only saving grace is the deck won't need sanding
Old 06 September 2014, 19:45   #22

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonStDavids View Post
Yours is looking good Firefly. The black wear patches and bow rubbing strake make the boat look a lot more modern. [thumbs]

I finally got to 1000 grit today!!!! So I'll flip it back the right way tomorrow and start on the deck and transom. The only saving grace is the deck won't need sanding
Nice one
Old 14 September 2014, 07:04   #23

RIBase
Flipped up the right way and done the deck, the grey stuff that was on the deck was untouchable with the paint stripper so I had to resort to the grinder to remove it

I have tried to replicate the rippled deck with a course roller but it is not as bumpy as the original If it turns out to be too sloppy if get some non-slip flowcoat.

As few little pits on the transom to sand back and I think I am done with resin!!!

As usual I have questions though! The ali strip that protects the top of the transom, how is the best way to get that looking like new, can I sand it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1410678268.715543.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	98811

And secondly it's time to think about the console, could someone let me know where avon put it originally and if anyone has played around and improved on it? I want to offset it but not sure by how much?
Old 14 September 2014, 08:10   #24

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Looking good.

The aluminium strips are anodised which gives them that brushed dull effect and protects against corrosion. Sanding it will remove this layer and it will corrode. You should be able to find a replacement from a sheet metal supplier.
Old 03 March 2015, 18:57   #25

RIBase
Its been a while since I updated this thread so here is an update. (The sun was a bit low, so bad picture!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1425412035.090233.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	103242

I have stripped the console back to bare aluminium then primed and resprayed it. I have gone for a dark grey that is roughy the same colour as the tubes, so hope the whole thing doesn't look to bland!

Fitted a bargain new faria tachometer from eBay and lots of nice shiny stainless hinges and latches! I have also had the backrest remade in stainless. My wife also had reupholstered the seat

I mounted the engine today so tomorrow I just need to connect everything back together and hope it works

Then a few little snagging jobs and it'll be ready for the sea.....