Old 20 August 2016, 06:25   #1

Length: 5m +
Yamaha F70?

Hi,

Does anyone have any feedback about Yamaha's latest F70 outboard?

It is only 119kg and therefore getting closer to the old 2 stroke weights.

Suzuki's current 70hp outboard weighs 155kg but is a 1502cc engine. The Yamaha is 996cc. It would be interesting to know how they compare!
Old 20 August 2016, 09:30   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Ive had both. New.. the suzuki as you so rightly say was and still is a lump.. the F70 was outstanding. light, frugal on fuel.. the trim and tilt motor is so quiet. in a heavily laid up SR4.,7 propped correctly gave me 0.45 L per mile..
Old 20 August 2016, 11:54   #3

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Rogue wave has the f70 on a rib and claims outstanding performance and fuel efficiency.
Old 20 August 2016, 11:56   #4

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
So much so that I've just bought the same engine.... almost
The selva Mourano 70 is the same engine, but cheaper
It's light and the power to weight ratio and the fuel figures all appear outstanding. Fingers crossed as mine is getting fitted this week.
Old 20 August 2016, 13:52   #5

Thanks for replies. It does sound like a nice engine. Interesting to see where they go next. I noticed Suzuki have a 60hp outboard at 104kg, although that is a 3 cylinder model. Still, there is quite a difference between their 60hp and 70hp models.

Looking forward to the day these engines get down to 100kg, without any sacrifice in performance and reliability.
Old 21 August 2016, 13:13   #6

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I had a 4.5m boat with a f70 and loved it, put almost 300 hrs on it in the first year before getting an offer I couldn't resist on the outfit so sold it on. The next boat had a Suzuki which I kept for another 12 months before selling once again.

I much preferred the yam f 70 so bought another boat with another. I've now clocked close to 300 hrs again in just over 12 months of faultless boating. Both yamahas gave me close to identicle performance on completely different boats in terms of speed and fuel burn.

My last trip of 130 km used 38 lt of fuel much of which was pushing into quite rough seas. Service costs are the cheapest I've ever had on any 4 stroke and simple to do yourself, though I use a Yamaha mechanic.

I was recently on a tour boat in northern Queensland that was using a pair of f70 which had clocked up 7100 hrs of faultless hours doing daily river crocodile tours. I was told they keep the engines untill they reach 10000 hrs. I also have a mate who was a outboard mechanic who serviced houseboat outboards using a f70 on his work punt. He had clocked over 3000 hrs in two years and was loving his, unfortunatly now passed from cancer.

My only complaint has been that if there's a bit of wind blowing I often can't here my engine running and try to start it when it's already running!!!!.. Love mine and feel confident even on long range offshore trips.

Jon

Old 22 August 2016, 14:56   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I would like to think that a proportion of my blood was 2 stroke oil Iand my favourite engine is the 70 BETOL.

The F70 has gone a Llong long way to make me change my mind.

The fuel consumption on our 5 metre is around 0.4 lah but I'm going to take the boat out on Saturday and run it WOT for a full tank and sea what the return is.

What impresses me most however is the torque. We haven't been.able to.swing a big enough prop.to get WOT we ran a 23 but the boat started to exceed it's design speed.

Most impressed and we have had it 5 years. If your in Southampton I'll take you out on the boat and you can make your own decisions.

Paul is going to.be a strong advocate by this time next week as we are fitting his engine this wednesday. Yam me for me until suzuki go to weight watches.

Cheers
Old 22 August 2016, 15:14   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Ha ha I just realised who the OP .is

Firstly how you doing bud

Secondly don't worry buy the yam and you won't be putting your hand in your sporran very much ��
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote