Old 06 August 2009, 20:50   #1

Town: Greatstone
Boat name: timanfaya 2
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 75
MMSI: 235079206
yamaha 2stroke 25hp electrical out put

i have a2002 yam and it has an electrical 2 pin out put on front can i connect this straight to a battery?or do i need some sort of rectification before the connection? any help would be welcome, its for instrument lights.
Old 06 August 2009, 23:21   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
should be a dc output you can connect to a battery, recommened a small bike battery though as the output is minimal.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2009, 23:36   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
should be a dc output you can connect to a battery, recommened a small bike battery though as the output is minimal.
I think it depends - and unfortunately the OP is a little thin on details to be sure. My slightly newer Yam 20 has a fairly heavy duty cable for battery in/output but it is also electric start. IIRC some engines without electric start simply have a "lighting output". Because it is only for filament bulbs it doesn't need rectified - so may be a.c.

Zookeeper - do you have the model number for your engine? If not 2str or 4st? Electric start or manual only?
Old 07 August 2009, 07:29   #4

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think it depends - and unfortunately the OP is a little thin on details to be sure. My slightly newer Yam 20 has a fairly heavy duty cable for battery in/output but it is also electric start. IIRC some engines without electric start simply have a "lighting output". Because it is only for filament bulbs it doesn't need rectified - so may be a.c.

Zookeeper - do you have the model number for your engine? If not 2str or 4st? Electric start or manual only?
I think the lighting output may still be DC. beacuse with no regulator you need a battery connected to act as a "shunt regulator" and reservoir.
otherwise at tickover any lamps connected will be dim and then as you rev the engine up the filaments will burn out.
my old honda had a lighting output, the voltage varied between 8 at tickover and about 30v at 5000 rpm. with a battery connected the voltage stays around 12-14 but the rpm varies charge current from 0-5 amps.
with this system too small a battery would boil dry fairly quickly from overcharging, a battery that will handle a few amps trickle charge continuously is needed. usually capacity of 10 times the charge current.
so if your charge coil is say 60 watts. that 5 amps. probably nearer 2-3 amps at normal rpm so go for a battery around 25- 35aH
maybe nissan micra size or a big bike battery.
Old 07 August 2009, 09:14   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
think i would check to see if it does need a rectifier first, not that many are built in ,ac/dc will still light a bulb ,,,but will blow your battery if ones not fitted ,most old 12 v motorbike rectifiers will do ,.
Old 07 August 2009, 13:03   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I think the lighting output may still be DC. beacuse with no regulator you need a battery connected to act as a "shunt regulator" and reservoir.
otherwise at tickover any lamps connected will be dim and then as you rev the engine up the filaments will burn out.
my old honda had a lighting output, the voltage varied between 8 at tickover and about 30v at 5000 rpm. with a battery connected the voltage stays around 12-14 but the rpm varies charge current from 0-5 amps.
with this system too small a battery would boil dry fairly quickly from overcharging, a battery that will handle a few amps trickle charge continuously is needed. usually capacity of 10 times the charge current.
so if your charge coil is say 60 watts. that 5 amps. probably nearer 2-3 amps at normal rpm so go for a battery around 25- 35aH
maybe nissan micra size or a big bike battery.
The owners manual suggests that depending on the model - it may have no rectifier, a rectifier, or a rectifier & regulator!