Old 22 May 2004, 06:22   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
XS_Rib

Have a new XS-550 on order from Barnet marine and are eagerly awaiting delivery.
However I was hoping to customise my trailer bunks to fit the new boat ready for when it arrives.(trying to pass the time as the delivery time is a little long!! )
Has anyone out there already have a XS- 550 or above that could supply a photo of the transom from the back,showing the hull angle and details?
Laurence at Barnet marine was helpful but unfortunately didn't have any diagrams or photos.
I have solid bunks not wobble rollers and so wanted to get the best fit ahead of time as I have to collect the boat.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:18   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
I should be collecting mine on Friday 4th June. The boat was delayed by a few days due to the tubes not being ready. It is an XS-600 but I presume that the hull shape/ angle will be pretty much the same as yours. I will post pics of the hull here for you.

What spec is yours? (colour, engine, etc?) I will look out for it when I collect mine and get a few pics of it too. Until then here is a pic from their website. Its not very good, I know but its better then nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5826  
Old 23 May 2004, 16:10   #3
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Who actually manufactures XS-RIBS?

The XS-RIB pictured on Barnet marine’s website looks very similar to my Tornado Viking. The shape of the hull at the bow looks extremely similar, so too does the bow locker. Transoms different but then the design of the current Viking is different to mine.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:29   #4

many thanks

Swginn,appreciate the help.Doubt if mine is anywhere to be seen yet as the delivery date is early Aug. I went for the all orange glasswork and tubes with contrasting black patches and seats.Mine is the 550 which is the same beam as yours but just shorter length. So any photos from below the tubes would be great.Transom shots especially ,as I need to work out the spacing and angle of the bunks to get the best fit.
Going to run mine with a Suzuki DF90 so would be interested to hear how yours handles.Its a little "iffy" knowing what to expect with such a new boat and reading the various views on the forum.Happy when a few of us get them out there and able get some real feedback. Cheers Dal
Old 24 May 2004, 12:45   #5

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
Hi Swginn
just a little tip,
ask lawernce to check wheel nuts on the trailer (if your getting a new one of course) before you leave , we didn't and the wheel came off half way up barnet hill !
Naturly Lawerence sorted the situation straight away no problem ,but was a bit nerve racking to say the least.new boat and all.
Alistair
Old 24 May 2004, 13:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Who actually manufactures XS-RIBS?
Daniel,

We've been through this before on the forum, I think. The hulls are made by a major UK manufacturer who will remain unnamed at present until a future date. According to Lawrence Lock of Barnet Marine the reason for this is that it will "cause a bit of a stir in the marketplace with the ribs they already build"

The tubes, console, a-frame, etc. are made and fitted by Barnet Marine (note the Tornado influences!! Console is pretty much identical and I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Tornado console).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
The XS-RIB pictured on Barnet marine’s website looks very similar to my Tornado Viking. The shape of the hull at the bow looks extremely similar, so too does the bow locker. Transoms different but then the design of the current Viking is different to mine.
Yes, I agree, I thought this as well, the hull of the XS-650 is very alike that of the Tornado Voyager 645. However when I was talking to Laurence at the LBS he told me that the reason he has become a dealer for XS-Ribs is because he could not fulfil the needs af all his customers as Tornado can only produce so many craft each year. Now he his able to supply XS-Ribs as well and so that has overcome the shortage.

So the XS-Rib is definitely not made by Tornado, if that's what you were thinking.

Know of any UK rib manufacturers, with a large production output looking to break into the budget market?

I'll see if I can get any info out of Laurence when I'm over.
Old 24 May 2004, 13:39   #7

Dal,

I presume, you've seen the pics and video of the orange 550 on their website. Its got black upholstery, patches and a black floor as well instead of the usual grey. The contrast works really well. I will let you know how I get on with mine.

Alastair,

thanks for the tip, will do!! Although I'm sure they've learned since that incident!! Nerve Racking, I can imagine!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cp1_JockeyConsoleOrange1.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	5853  
Old 24 May 2004, 23:27   #8

Thank you Barrus!!

Was on the phone with Laurence of XS-Ribs 2day. He had bad news for me. My optimax 135 was delayed and the boat wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. But barrus just happened to have a spare shiny, new optimax 150 in stock and they supplied it at no additional cost to the 135 to avoid delaying my order.

Thanks Guys!!! Gotta go change my profile now to the 150
Old 25 May 2004, 03:50   #9

colour dilema

Think I drove Laurence to drink with me changing my mind on the colour scheme! Originally I had opted for the all orange, but was difficult to visualize it as there were none on the web site at that time. A good buddy checked out the x-ribs at the boat show and sent me some photos of the blue and white that looked clean and stylish. So I opted for that instead.Eventually the web site got some better shots of the boats and especially the 550 in the orange livery ! So fortunately I was in time to change back to the original plan; I just owe Laurence a few beers I think! No excuses for jet skiers running into me now saying the couldn't see me!! (Unless I have dazzled them with the bright colour) Fine by me though!!
cheers Dal :
Old 25 May 2004, 07:03   #10

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Was on the phone with Laurence of XS-Ribs 2day. He had bad news for me. My optimax 135 was delayed and the boat wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. But barrus just happened to have a spare shiny, new optimax 150 in stock and they supplied it at no additional cost to the 135 to avoid delaying my order.

Thanks Guys!!! Gotta go change my profile now to the 150
Your Lucky Lucky man you are!
Well done
Nick
Old 25 May 2004, 08:21   #11

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
nice one laurence !
alistair
Old 26 May 2004, 15:26   #12

Town: London
Length: no boat
Still want a photo?

If you want any photo's of the XS I live less than a mile from Barnet Marine & drive past every day. I could nip over and take some shots sometime. They often have XS and Tornado outside. BTW, Blue Tubes and Orange Hull (outside shop last week)? - Looks terrible IMHO. (Sorry if this belongs to anyone reading)
Old 26 May 2004, 22:58   #13

Rich L,
Your Ok, as far as I know limeydal and I are the only 2 on here who have XS-Ribs on order. His is orange/orange with black patches. Mine is Blue/Grey with black patches. Couldn't agree more the orange/blue combo looks awful. Whats more alarming is that he has sold quite a few in that colour!!!

Keep an eye out for my one!! It should be arriving from the factory friday to have the engine fitted. You can't miss it. It'll have a 150 on the back.
Old 27 May 2004, 20:56   #14

Town: le palais
Boat name: agnhélie
Make: narwhal
Length: 6.7
Engine: YAMAHA 115 4 STROKES
xs rib

i hope xs rib are not the same as these south african rib named falcon in france ,because if it is apparently falcon was a disaster in terms of reliability the hull has a great ability on rough water but the building quality is awful i have just the story from a friend tonight of a shipyard who was distibuting these boats in north brittany;he went bankrupt too many liability seven boats went back to the yard within four months
i hope they have nothing in common
Old 27 May 2004, 21:07   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
They are not the same.

Falcons are sold in the UK under the name of RIB-X which has caused a bit of confusion! There are a few people her with Falcons who are very pleased with them, so perhaps the build quality has improved. Time will tell.

Manos and Chrisallse, we know that you love your Falcons

John
Old 27 May 2004, 21:17   #16

Town: le palais
Boat name: agnhélie
Make: narwhal
Length: 6.7
Engine: YAMAHA 115 4 STROKES
so i am sorry for the confusion ,i just wanted to tell from my little experience because myself i have seen one in my shipyard and the boss did not want to work with them anymore i have never heard so many bad news about a rib brand
Old 28 May 2004, 04:25   #17

photos

RichL,
would be great if you could get a shot , especially from low down showing the Transom. However I think the XS-rib they have in front of the shop is usually the 460 which is narrower beam than mine or swGinn's. If they ever have a 550 or above on show,I would love a picture!!!!! Maybe if SWginns is in on friday ,he might be kind enough to allow us to get a photo of it.
I agree the Blue on orange looks a mess, but love the orange with black for a fun looking boat as well as for the safety aspect.
Have the trailer all ready and waiting, so would be nice to get the bunks set at least something close ,ready for the trip home. (I can make the fine adjustments after I get the boat back.)
cheers Dal
Old 28 May 2004, 04:44   #18

xs-600

swginn,
heres a photo of the xs-600 a buddy took at the boat show. I have ordered the 550 but do like the extra couple of feet extra shown here behind the double seats that you will have .Useful for fishing,water activities etc. (Just would have put me a little over budget as well as being a tight fit where I store it.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xs600-4w.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5985  
Old 28 May 2004, 04:51   #19

Nice Beam

Love the wide beam on these boats!!! Heres the XS-600 at the boat show.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xs600-1w.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	5986  
Old 28 May 2004, 09:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
RichL,
Maybe if SWginns is in on friday ,he might be kind enough to allow us to get a photo of it.
I will ring Laurence later on today, to find out if it has arrived at the shop. If it has it won't be in front of the shop however as it will be getting the engine rigged and electronics, a-frame, lights, etc. fitted. I'm sure if you ask Laurence though he'll let you take a few pics of it, wherever they kit it out?

Yes the extra space at the back is very handy, however this won't be long filling up with the oil tank for the Opti and the petrol tank for the auxillary. thanks for the pics, gives me a great idea how mine will look except with white glass instead of grey.