Old 08 May 2005, 20:35   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
XS Ribs

Myself and a couple of friends are looking at upgrading our RIBS in 2007. We are starting to look seriously at XS Ribs and are looking at the 6.5 Mtr and 7.5 Mtr boats. We want to be able to use these boats all year round in most sea states, be able to get reasonable fuel consumption out of them and on the odd occasion get 50 Knots out of them.

Does anyone have an XS RIB between 6.5 Mtr and 7.5 Mtr and would they like to comment on their sea worthiness, fuel consumption, build quality, and speed etc.

Any info would be appreciated because this will be a once in a lifetime purchase.

You can even PM me.

Regards Nick R.

By the way I really love my Sea Rider but obviously you always want better.
Old 09 May 2005, 08:41   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Nick,

I haven't got an XS-650 or XS-750 but I did order one of the first boats that were made. Mine's an XS-600 with a 150 Opti. Pettal who posts on here as an XS-700 with 200 Opti (see link below!!). I'm sure he'll be able to advise you on the bigger boat.

Mine has been flawless since I've had it. The build quality is second to none and is a very solid boat. Everything is bolted (no self-tappers here!!), the consoles are glassed into the deck also. There is some nice attention to detail throughout the RIB also.

As regards their seaworthiness, mine has been to the Fastnet and back in Force 6/7 conditions with no trouble. Thats no mean feat for a 6m boat!! The hull is 23 degree deadrise at the stern and is a warped V so will give a good turn of perfomance/fuel consumption without compromising on its rough weather ability. Also the hull is a high lift design giving it good load carrying capacity (this also gives better consumption). Trust me from seeing the capabilities of the 600, the 650/750 is definitely an all yr round boat. It's also a VERY dry RIB, you will be very surprised at how often you will find yourself leaving the wetgear in the locker.

Performance?? Mine will just about do 50kts and I think Pettal's does it easily!!

I've put together some links below for some more reading. If you've any questions don'e hesitate!!

Owners Comments

Barnet Marine

Pettal & his XS-700 on the Solent

New XS-600 / Merc Opti 150

XS-600 Airborne!!
Old 09 May 2005, 11:05   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
XS Ribs
Although not in your size range we took delivery of a 550 in Feb she’s fitted with a 90 Optimax.
The service from Laurence Lock @ Barnet has been second to non. A well designed and constructed boat with attention to detail. So far covered 46 Hrs running and some faultless 190 miles. For Steve to say there a DRY RIDE is an understatement. Was out yesterday in a sea that would have made us WET in our old Humber, dressed in a dry suit I didn’t need! Students love the handling and smooth ride. If we buy another RIB Yep you’ve guessed it would certainly be an XS.
Also a word about the Snipe trailer BRILLIANT!! One man launch and recover with NO problem.

Look at WWW.ashbypowerboatschool.co.uk for some piccys.

And ours is also here http://www.xs-ribs.co.uk/details.php under 550 it's the blue one.

Brian