Old 23 April 2009, 20:18   #1

Town: Guernsey / Perth
Length: no boat
XS 7.5 versus Ballistic 7.8

I have been looking around for a new RIB for a while now and thought i had narrowed my choice down to the XS-Rib 7.5m. The reason for this choice is primarily the ruggedness of the XS and the cost. The XS range do appear to be less expensive than other leading brands.

All was going well untill i took my partner to see a Ballistic 7.8. The Ballistic are prettier boats and have a bow area which coverts from seats to a sun deck and also has a removable table. As you can imagine my partner is now stipulating that this feature is a must in our next boat.

Can anyone shed light on the Ballistic and which one you would choose and why.

I must admit i did quite like the look of the ballistic and if it keeps the missus happy then perfect. Problem is they are more expensive and the ride is meant to be hard. Will be going on a sea trial early next week.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 23 April 2009, 20:37   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
XS + one of these
Old 23 April 2009, 21:21   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Babbe View Post
The Ballistic are prettier boats and have a bow area which coverts from seats to a sun deck and also has a removable table.
I've a Ballistic 6.5 which has the same sun deck and removable table - we have found the sun deck good, but the table hasn't been as useful as I expected as it doesn't store away anywhere whist cruising - or at least it doesn't on the 2004, 6.5m Ballistic I have. This may be different for the 7.8m.
As to whether the ride is "hard" - I' haven't found this to be a problem with the 6.5 - but I think you get used to what you have, and I've certainly found the Ballistic very stable in rough seas as I think it is heavier than other similar sized RIBS.
When I bought mine (2nd hand) I was lucky enough to be at Ribex last year and was able to try four or five RIB makes in one weekend. The Ballistic came out on top as it had everything as standard and felt really "safe", although of course I'm sure thay are (nearly) all just as safe in reality.
I think you'll find it will come down to being a gut feel asto which is best suited to what you want to use it for! We've used it a lot in the past 11 months and have not been disappointed with the Ballistic.
Old 24 April 2009, 08:13   #4

Polwart i like it. I can now tell the missus the XS comes with table, seats and two man tent! Is a head torch a necessity?
Old 24 April 2009, 17:24   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Babbe View Post
Polwart i like it. I can now tell the missus the XS comes with table, seats and two man tent! Is a head torch a necessity?
Best to get not to call it a tent she might get suspicious before you get the cheque written - I would refer to it as "sleeping accommodation for 2"

Seriously though I have not driven either - but from what I have read here and in other places the XS is a lot of purposeful boat for the money. There is no doubt that Ballastics have their fans too - but everyone has different priorities. If you really want a matress and table at the front barnet marine could probably fit something or suggest someone who could.
Old 24 April 2009, 18:46   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I have been in both and would rate the XS above the Ballistic in terms of its ride and comfort underway. However I agree that the Ballistic is a nice boat to look at and the console is one of my favourite ones out there.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2009, 08:13   #7

Thanks for your relpies. I have decided against the ballistics as outside my budget. Options now is new XS or a second hand boat of a different brand.

Back to Boatsandoutboards for me.