Old 23 March 2007, 00:49   #1
b2j

Town: london
Length: no boat
xs

can you tell me who builds xs craft i want to buy one but so many stories befold me all i want to know is who manufactures them sorry if its been a guessing game but i dont want to part with my money until i know please give me any information
Old 23 March 2007, 08:19   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
http://www.ribs.co.uk/
Old 23 March 2007, 09:10   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
That's interesting. Barnet Marine seem to have completely dropped Tornado. Anyone know the scoop?

John
Old 23 March 2007, 09:11   #4

Are Tornado not made out in china now?
Old 23 March 2007, 10:07   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
That's interesting. Barnet Marine seem to have completely dropped Tornado. Anyone know the scoop?

John
Talking to Laurence Lock at Barnet Marine last year it sounded like they were going to go their separate ways. Something to do with tornado winding down production. From reading the tornado website they're still made in Hull.

He is contractually obliged not to say who makes the XS hulls though, but obviously sells quite a few!
thorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2007, 14:40   #6

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
re XS Builder

Yep I was told the same thing by Laurence when I bought mine a couple of years ago, however then he did say that it would be announced at the end of 2005 ... suffice it to say it wasnt.. also I know personaly of someone who wanted to Buy 3 7m XS's but insisted on being able to visit them whilst they were under contruction to check on quality etc before the deck was glassed in and this request was refused point blank so he bought them from Humber instead.

i guess you have your message. I have the personal opinion that they are made for Barnet marine to their spec rather than Barnet marine acting as a dealer for XS as even the CE plates and Serial numbers are added by Barnet Marine when they fit out the boats.

Mark
Old 23 March 2007, 14:48   #7

When I said china - I was referring to this thread..

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....=tornado+china
Old 23 March 2007, 20:01   #8
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
To the best of my knowledge, Tornado have now ceased production in the UK, but continue to manufacture hulls in China I think that this is a great shame, given the mighty reputation that Tornado built up over the years. However, the good news is that XS RIBs seem to be going from strength to strength.

I sea-trialled the new XS850 last month and was mightily impressed. I would say the the build quality at least equalled my last 8.5m Tornado and the handling is absolutely superb.
Old 23 March 2007, 20:10   #9

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
where are they made?

I'm amazed that anyone will buy a boat if they cannot see it under construction, I suppose that the package approach may remove the need but to be frank there's no chance I would part with a single £ until I knew who, where and how long theyd been doing it.
Old 23 March 2007, 20:21   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
We shouldn't assume that a product manufactered in China is in somehow inferior. I know a guy that mass produces yacht sails in China. He produces for many of the well known UK sail companies. His factory is way ahead of any sail loft in the UK. He only uses the very best sail cloth and laminate film.The only thing cheap abut China these days is the cost of labour.
Old 23 March 2007, 23:28   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I'm amazed that anyone will buy a boat if they cannot see it under construction, I suppose that the package approach may remove the need but to be frank there's no chance I would part with a single £ until I knew who, where and how long theyd been doing it.
Yes .. like we all ask to see our cars under construction!!

Seriously you are in the minority I think, most people would not have a clue if their boat was being built correct or not, even if they did see it under construction.

I have used an XS-600 a fair amount and it performed well. As an owner of a Tornado fitted out by BMC, I can say the fitout is of similar quality, although some of the fittings where lower budget.

It's not new news that Tornado seem to have gone off the rails a little. Great brand being trashed by its owner - very bizarre.

BMC business now seems to depend on the XS as their prime offering. Contracturally if they piss off the people that build them, BMC loose a product line. I have asked Larence many times who the manufacturers are and predictably he won't say - one of the best kept secrets in the RIB World, you would think it would be out by now!! Someone must see them being transported etc..

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 21:33   #12

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
In the minorty?

I do agree that most of us in the boating world might not identify good workmanship when we are novices, I am pleased to say I am not and I definately know when areas are not being done well, but to be honest the reason I always want to deal with the builder is so that I can see how they respond to changes to spec or specific requests and also so that I can look back and say I definetly know my boat.
I also want to see who is building it /what's their attitude etc you can tell a lot about workmanship from dealing with people.
I'm therefore still definately a minority person who would only buy a boat if I could see the whole picture, Not that xs are in any way poor, If I ask a question it needs to get answered, if it isn't I buy elsewhere, .

Bought my audi after the factory visit!
Bought my landi after seeing it stripped and rebuilt.