Old 16 May 2010, 09:13   #1

Town: kingston upon thames
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: old twin yamaha 40s!
wot size hp ......

experience advice needed.....currently running mid 80's yamaha twin 40's on a humber attaque 5.5 . the transom was reinforced at some stage with stainless struts so it is solid. but its time for a change. i want to take these of and replace with one engine. but what is the maximum hp i can put on. is the weight the issue,or is it overpowering. if it is weight would you opt for a 2 stroke instead of a 4? obviously too much weight will put the transom to low in the water. and could you explain what is over powering ? is it simply, dont put a v8 in a mini, in dont need it and it wont go any better.... educate me please.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:19   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Best to speak to Humber to get the max size either in weight or HP this hull can handle. But if you replaced the twin 40's with a 80 hp single engine you would defiantly see a performance increase and a fuel decrease. I would hazard a guess that it could handle 100hp without too much problems, just check with Humber.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 10:25   #3

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
As an estimate...you'd get similar(ish) performance with a single 60 but a nice match with 90hp and could poss run 100-115 as they are usually the same blocks as the 90hp motors but might have to be a bit careful with the throttle sometimes

H