Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
Work Experience

Hi
I'm coming up to the end of school and i am looking for somewhere to do my work experience in a couple of months time. I'm after something which i enjoy - boating/ribbing.

Wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere where i would have the opportunity to practise boating skills ect ...

Regards
Hannah
Old 30 July 2006, 17:12   #2

Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
harbour authority?
Old 30 July 2006, 21:10   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Hannah,

IS the long term plan to work in the marine sector? If its not then it will be of little value to you - try to do something which is closely related to what you plan to do in the end. This will get much more credit from prospective employers or training organisations than "mucking about in boats". It will also give you a better understanding of what that job actually involves - and give you a chance to reconsider if it no longer appeals after hands on experience.

I guess even if you want to do marine related stuff then you should try to focus that a little. If your aim is to work in training/teaching etc then try to get work experience in that area. If you would rather build or sell boats then talk to the builders and sellers. etc...

Just some thoughts...

Neil
Old 31 July 2006, 11:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Hannah,

IS the long term plan to work in the marine sector? If its not then it will be of little value to you - try to do something which is closely related to what you plan to do in the end. This will get much more credit from prospective employers or training organisations than "mucking about in boats". It will also give you a better understanding of what that job actually involves - and give you a chance to reconsider if it no longer appeals after hands on experience.

I guess even if you want to do marine related stuff then you should try to focus that a little. If your aim is to work in training/teaching etc then try to get work experience in that area. If you would rather build or sell boats then talk to the builders and sellers. etc...

Just some thoughts...

Neil
Ok thanks, to be honest i cant decide what i want to do, i think perhaps, for the work experiance i fancy helping out with some courses along the lines of an instructor. I think what ever i end up doing, it will be something to do with boating, so any type of experience would be good.
Old 01 August 2006, 07:08   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hannah

I was in a similar position to you a number of years ago, but my boat experience had been in sailing dinghies.

I managed to get a job over the summer working for a sailing centre rigging the boats (toppers enterprises etc) for public hire or tuition. This lead to helping the instructors and at the end of the summer I was put through my RYA dinghy instructors course & learnt to windsurf
The next summer I returned as an instructor and spent the summer teaching & windsurfing at every opportunity & the school put me through my windsurfing instructor's course at the end of the summer.

I was then approached by a local windsurfing shop that offered me a job and spent the next two summers teaching.

A real eye opener, some fantastic experiences, great friends & skills for life

So I'd grab it with both hands as you can always let go later & it's a great few lines on your C.V.

So I would write to as many as possible and chase them by phone show them how keen you are.

James
Old 01 August 2006, 10:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim
Hannah

I was in a similar position to you a number of years ago, but my boat experience had been in sailing dinghies.

I managed to get a job over the summer working for a sailing centre rigging the boats (toppers enterprises etc) for public hire or tuition. This lead to helping the instructors and at the end of the summer I was put through my RYA dinghy instructors course & learnt to windsurf
The next summer I returned as an instructor and spent the summer teaching & windsurfing at every opportunity & the school put me through my windsurfing instructor's course at the end of the summer.

I was then approached by a local windsurfing shop that offered me a job and spent the next two summers teaching.

A real eye opener, some fantastic experiences, great friends & skills for life

So I'd grab it with both hands as you can always let go later & it's a great few lines on your C.V.

So I would write to as many as possible and chase them by phone show them how keen you are.

James
Have done .. some possitive and negetive responces
Old 01 August 2006, 12:14   #7

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Hi Hannah - just a thought, as it was something I wanted to so when I was looking at work exp. - have you thought about Sunseeker? (they're not that far from you in Southampton) I'm sure they would be intrerested, or offer a work exp placement - that would be a pretty awesome placement and I'm sure you'd get to learn a hell of a lot about the marine industry - the thing about working for companies like them is that if you impress them while you're there, when you come to look for a job in a few years time they will remember you, and I know they look after their staff...
Old 01 August 2006, 15:12   #8

Length: 6m +
Try Haslar Marina - I'm in the middle of doing a powerboat level 2 course for a chap that did his work experience with the marina, and he had an absolute whale of a time apparently.

Haslar Marina
Haslar Road
Gosport
PO12 1NU

02392 601 201