Old 13 December 2022, 18:20   #1

Town: USA
Boat name: Smoke
Make: Zar Formenti
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100
Will keelguard hold if cut to fit bow?

I would like to protect the bow of my newly purchased 15-foot fiberglass boat when pulling it up on the beach. I will do that a lot in the future. My previous boat had an aluminum hull and was more of a beater boat anyway, so I didn't use anything on it. Megaware KeelGuard told me I couldn't use their product because of "that sharp of an upturn on your boat. It will start to pucker going up and then if water gets underneath of the guard, it will start to come off." Pictures attached.

I didn't ask them if I could cut diagonal cuts into the Keelguard to accommodate the sharp turn. I can, but I figured they would just say that they don't recommend that and I would be on my own anyway.

I envision making say a 1 inch diagonal cut on each side of the 6" wide Keelguard (cutting from the side toward the middle) so that the Keelguard is still 1 long piece. I would then glue the diagonal sections down on top of the Keelguard, so it was "doubled up" in that place. Has anyone here tried that, and if so, did the Keelguard stay stuck?

I appreciate other suggestions as well. The hull is white, so I really want something that is white or clear (no black), and I don't really like the look of the paint on products. Using 2 anchors sounds like a pain given that my anchor is not mounted to my boat and I land on the beach a lot, so I think the hull would still get messed up anyway. There are thinner products than Keelguard, but I wasn't sure how well they actually worked (something is of course better than nothing). So...

Thank you for reading and any suggestions in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	141934   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	141935  
Old 13 December 2022, 22:06   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Worst that happens is it peels off, and there won't be any warranty if cut. Get the shortest keel guard, and notch it as you suggest. I'd put one on that boat if beaching often on anything other than soft sand. We beach on pebbles/cobble sometimes so I put a keel guard onto the boat.
Old 14 December 2022, 00:18   #3

Thank you!
Old 14 December 2022, 00:43   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
FWIW You can rig up a bungee cord onto the anchor tied off to the stern or bow depending on conditions, nose up to the beach, jump off with a line from the bow, letting the boat float back out. This works great if there are not larges waves about from boats or um waves, as it can push the boat onto the beach, depending on bungee cord length. A good anchor and chain before the bungee cord is important. The bungee cord can be bought or made very easily with knots or a HD sewing machine. I use bungees just like this, but smaller to clip our dive gear off in the water. I tend to tie the bungee into the hollow webbing and sew end loops in, but I have sewn the bungee in place too. I've found the knot helps get my backplate and tank off easier. Might have to make myself a nice long 50 footer that shrinks to 25ft like this one, but with loops on both sides to use knots or soft/hard shackles. https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Boat-A...00YB65LVC?th=1

Another way is to set an anchor off the beach with a float, and use a pulley system from the float to shore to pull the boat back and forth. This is what I typically do at lakes which can have wakeboard boat wakes.

Either way you are beaching it or coming close temporarily.

After dropping the crew and items, then anchoring offshore, warm water allows swimming in *shrugs* I've been known to bring my drysuit to anchor offshore and swim in.
Old 14 December 2022, 01:24   #5

Thank you for the suggestions about using a bungee or a pulley system. I've watched youtube videos about the bungee idea, but the pulley system with a float is new to me. I do generally anchor offshore and wade in (and it is a sand beach, not rocks), but a friend who boats in the same area installed a keelguard on his boat recently and recommended that I do as well. So, the sand must have more rocks in it than I think.

Thank you for your kindness!
Old 15 December 2022, 19:19   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Did it on my rib lasted until I sold her about six years
Old 15 December 2022, 20:32   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
It's hard to advise you as I spent many hour's removing the Stainless steel keel guard on my 5 meter Tornado and as far as I could see the keel guard did as much damage as not having it in the first place.
I'm not sure I would be keen on cutting the bow step.
How new is the boat? What kind of beaching do you intend to do?....a quick nose in or full on drag itout of the water that is difficult at best...and let's not get into breakers.....we have history lol.
Old 16 December 2022, 04:58   #8

Thank you fastasfox. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I agree with your wondering if the screws from stainless steel keel guards do as much damage as environmental conditions.

My new rib is factory new and fiberglass. I had an aluminum hulled AB rib previously for 14 years. Except for the last 3 years that I owned it, that boat was kept and launched from a trailer parked on the beach on Lake Michigan (so fresh water). I got tired of retrieving it with my beach trailer and moved the boat to a marina. Because so much algae and scum attached itself to my old boat at the marina, I bought a Wave Armour floating dock for the new boat to keep it out of the marina water.

I won't be using my boat to fish. I will be towing wakeboarders or using the boat to go to other beach areas. So, landing on the beach a lot.

Because I don't have to pull it out of the water onto a trailer after each time I use it and because the beach is largely sand (not rock), the bow will not be facing super rigorous conditions. Still, the sand will grind on it, although definitely not as much as if I were pulling it all the way up on the beach like I used to with my other boat. So perhaps, I am worrying too much. Its is just that the boat is new and I want it to stay nice.

Thank you!
Old 16 December 2022, 06:24   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Maybe the compromise is to put on the stick on keel guard up to that little step in the bow then you could use that clear vinyl paint protector up to the bow cleat (again self adhesive) ,that should cover you as the lower portion of the bow will take most of the wear I would have thought. But I would avoid cutting into the keel at any cost.
Nice boat, I understand you wanting to keep it that way.
Old 16 December 2022, 10:55   #10

Great suggestions! Thank you!