Old 11 June 2021, 08:20   #1

Town: Weston-super-Mare
Boat name: Lemaura
Make: Jets Marivent
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude etec 75hp
Wild camping neat Teignmouth

I am planning on launching my RIB at Polysteps, Teignmouth on Saturday and wanted to wild camp overnight. Obviously, I will have my boat on trailer behind the van. I have pulled in to a gravel car park as you climb out of Teignmouth but a lot of boy racer pull in there late at night which isn't ideal! Any ideas where I could go?
Old 11 June 2021, 08:57   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I take it you'll be sleeping in the Van...."Hopes Nose" was always a favourite in times gone by....but wouldn't be advisable leaving the Van with Boat attached these days!....As its some way from the road
The local community even pay for Private security patrols from thier own pockets! .... as "Very-non local" elements proliferate and congregate in the area above the Spot ...which has lead to many problems.
If you're stuck for parking and somewhere to stay ....why not ask around in a local ..better still "Country" Pub close by if you can use thier Car park overnight?...something we have done with good results in the past....and is a growing trend with Motorhomes....I even think there is a website.
A few Pints or some food usually suffices for payment....but even if you have to pay a small fee it'll be safer and quieter without the chance of being turfed out or moved in the early hours.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 09:24   #3

Hi Maximus. That is not a bad idea. I did just what you suggested a couple of years again near studland and it worked very well. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 11 June 2021, 11:53   #4

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapeskiing View Post
I am planning on launching my RIB at Polysteps, Teignmouth on Saturday and wanted to wild camp overnight. Obviously, I will have my boat on trailer behind the van. I have pulled in to a gravel car park as you climb out of Teignmouth but a lot of boy racer pull in there late at night which isn't ideal! Any ideas where I could go?
Don't stay overnight in your van at Polly Steps carpark as it is prohibited and Teignbridge council have been enforcing the rules this year.
However, you could go down to the point (the Den) carpark and overnight there, as the council seem to be quite relaxed about camper vans staying there overnight.
Another alternative is to park up along the eastern end of the seafront, a lot of campers overnight on that short stretch of road, but dont park in the bus bay.
Old 11 June 2021, 12:17   #5

Thanks GPSGuru. When you say 'the point' carpark, do you mean the one right on the Eastern side of the river entrance? I know the sign says no overnight camping but I do see loads of motorhome etc there?
Old 11 June 2021, 12:44   #6

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapeskiing View Post
Thanks GPSGuru. When you say 'the point' carpark, do you mean the one right on the Eastern side of the river entrance? I know the sign says no overnight camping but I do see loads of motorhome etc there?
Yes, thats the one. The council seem to be allowing ( ignoring) campers, when I went past last Saturday evening there were at least 20 campers in there. However, a lot are now parking overnight along Den Promenade (opposite Finn McCols) which is allowed.
Old 11 June 2021, 13:26   #7

Fantastic. Thanks for the info.