Old 09 September 2020, 02:27   #1

Length: under 3m
Why is my hypalon sticky?

I have an AB Inflatables with hypalon. Any idea what might make the tubes sticky?

The boat is used sparingly during the summer. It is covered when not in use. The material looks good but everything seems to stick to it including my hand, tie-down strap, even my shorts when I am sitting on it / using it. The tie-down strap is made of some sort of cloth material so the fibers actually get stuck to the Hypalon (see picture attached).

Most people leave their inflatables out in the sun and they are fine.

The only thing I am doing is using Soft scrub with bleach per the USA distributor to remove mildew and then I use Starbrite's Inflatable cleaner and protectant with PTEF: Rib & Inflatable Boat Cleaner & Protector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy strap stuck.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	135027  
Old 09 September 2020, 05:21   #2

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
That sticky effect also happens to boat fenders (which are not Hypalon) and is caused by being on UV light for long periods of time. As you say yours is kept covered this does not seem to be the cause. You are using quite a lot of chemicals on the Rib to clean it though so I wonder if this is part of the cause
Old 09 September 2020, 06:57   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
What material is it covered in? What Latitude is the boat stored in? Full sun? Is there a chemical plant nearby?

Sometimes an air gap and a way for the heat to escape are important. Might also want to make sure to neutralize the bleach post scrubbing. Although the sun should do a good job. I've used Softscrub with bleach on boat vinyl interiors, then taken the garden hose to them without issue.

Most materials I find that are sticky are on their way out. Not what I want to believe as I am looking at AB's for their light weight. Try cleaning it with some acetone and a clean white rag. If better but not great some scuffy pad and acetone should remove the stickyness. This will dull the finish, but so does Softscrub.
Old 09 September 2020, 07:32   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Are you certain its Hypalon? I've seen many PVC ribs go sticky, not so much on Hypalon.
Old 09 September 2020, 08:06   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Are you certain its Hypalon? I've seen many PVC ribs go sticky, not so much on Hypalon.
Thats my thoughts too
Old 09 September 2020, 12:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
What material is it covered in? What Latitude is the boat stored in? Full sun? Is there a chemical plant nearby?

Sometimes an air gap and a way for the heat to escape are important. Might also want to make sure to neutralize the bleach post scrubbing. Although the sun should do a good job. I've used Softscrub with bleach on boat vinyl interiors, then taken the garden hose to them without issue.

Most materials I find that are sticky are on their way out. Not what I want to believe as I am looking at AB's for their light weight. Try cleaning it with some acetone and a clean white rag. If better but not great some scuffy pad and acetone should remove the stickyness. This will dull the finish, but so does Softscrub.
It has a loosely fit light weight fabric cover. Plenty of breath-ability. Its in Northeast USA. No chemical plants nearby.

What exactly would Acetone do? Is it a long-term fix? I was told to use Acetone sparingly when applying lettering for the registration. The USA distributor said no issue with Softsoap with bleach though.
Old 09 September 2020, 13:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Its the AB Inflatables 9UL model. I dont think it was ever available in PVC? I am wondering if I can somehow find out the material type with the HIN #. Is there any way for me to test the material to confirm PVC v Hypalon?
Old 09 September 2020, 14:00   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Does the cover have a waterproof backing? It could be the cover breaking down & leaving a residue on the boat.
AFAIK, AB inflatables were all Hypalon, but I could be wrong.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2020, 15:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Does the cover have a waterproof backing? It could be the cover breaking down & leaving a residue on the boat.
I think the cover is just normal fabric I dont think it has any backing. I cleaned and waterproofed the cover this year, for the first time because it was allowing water to soak through onto the dinghy. The strap was getting stuck a bit last year so it has nothing to do with the waterproofing I did to the cover. I cleaned the dinghy yesterday with the starbrite cleaner only (no softscrub w/ bleach). Rinsed it off. Let it fully dry. No cover on it yet, and the tubes are sticky to the touch.
Old 09 September 2020, 15:52   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I think the cover is just normal fabric I dont think it has any backing. I cleaned and waterproofed the cover this year, for the first time because it was allowing water to soak through onto the dinghy. The strap was getting stuck a bit last year so it has nothing to do with the waterproofing I did to the cover. I cleaned the dinghy yesterday with the starbrite cleaner only (no softscrub w/ bleach). Rinsed it off. Let it fully dry. No cover on it yet, and the tubes are sticky to the touch.

In that case it does sound like classic PVC breakdown.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2020, 16:05   #11

Quote:
In that case it does sound like classic PVC breakdown.
i just spoke with the distributor and confirmed its hypalon

the only thing that came to their mind was perhaps the build up of the starbrite but i just contacted starbrite who routed to their chemist who says there is nothing that can cause stickiness in their formula

hmmm
Old 09 September 2020, 18:47   #12

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
I had really bad stickiness on a sib after the starbrite stuff too. Gave it a good go with acetone and a cloth and got the vast majority of it off, I think the starbrite stuff causes accumulated grime to become sticky somehow
Old 09 September 2020, 19:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
I had really bad stickiness on a sib after the starbrite stuff too. Gave it a good go with acetone and a cloth and got the vast majority of it off, I think the starbrite stuff causes accumulated grime to become sticky somehow
Is there something safer than acetone that can be used to strip off the starbrite?
Old 09 September 2020, 19:56   #14

Quote:
Is there something safer than acetone that can be used to strip off the starbrite?
methylated spirits worked too, but nowhere near as well, if it's the same stuff it'll clump into grey blobs, it's really awful so wear gloves, I had to wash my hands like 10 times to get it off
Old 09 September 2020, 20:00   #15

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
I have an AB Inflatables with hypalon. Any idea what might make the tubes sticky?

The boat is used sparingly during the summer. It is covered when not in use. The material looks good but everything seems to stick to it including my hand, tie-down strap, even my shorts when I am sitting on it / using it. The tie-down strap is made of some sort of cloth material so the fibers actually get stuck to the Hypalon (see picture attached).

Most people leave their inflatables out in the sun and they are fine.

The only thing I am doing is using Soft scrub with bleach per the USA distributor to remove mildew and then I use Starbrite's Inflatable cleaner and protectant with PTEF: Rib & Inflatable Boat Cleaner & Protector
The boat will be Hypalon and what i have learnt it will be by a company EOL , basically i reckon it will be knackered and a waste of time cleaning or anything else ,i suspect its white like my nautica ,i suspect when you look at the surface it is a fine weave pattern and the white is like a flaky coat of paint despite never having been painted ,when i phoned Ed (whom i have never met ) at rib tube for a quote his first words to me was "Ah thats EOL hypalon ") ,my rib is 2011 but has seen alot of florida sun ,basically it has no leaks and the hypalon holds air fine but the flakey sticky coat seems to be decorative only and doesnt seem to be part of the air holding bit ,what it leaves it like a grey weave look . i have been considering retube for three years but still doesnt really need it apart from looks
Old 09 September 2020, 20:01   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

You could try something like IPA (rubbing alcohol - or whatever it’s called locally). If it’s truely hypalon the final resort for a really deep clean that used to recommended here was “gunwash” - the cheap cellulose thinners used for cleaning spray guns. That’s definitely not gentle on tubes though but as a one off should be ok.
Old 09 September 2020, 20:09   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
I also have said cover ,made by a leading usa maker ,i,m not convinced anything comes off the cover but i am sure it does,nt breathe ,encouraages mold ,between the white top layer and the under grey layer ,which then goes sticky and gets cleaned off .willl look at manufacturer of the cover tomorow .
Old 09 September 2020, 21:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
Thanks for sharing. So it was fine after acetone? What did you end up putting on and use moving forward? Or you just continued to use the starbrite after the accumulations were removed?
Old 09 September 2020, 22:04   #19

Yeah it was fine after acetone, looked like new, yeah I used the starbrite after, made sure to follow the instructions to letter and it hasn't come back
Old 10 September 2020, 19:10   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(rubbing alcohol - or whatever it’s called locally)...
Whisky with no E, in some parts...