Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
y.

Last year, I went out on a friend's 21' hard boat to dive in Lake Erie. We ended up about 35 miles off shore and got caught in a bit of a blow. The waves quickly built to about 5-6' (I know that for you ocean types that's nothing, but here on the lakes, those are pretty nasty... very close period, breaking and often confused...). I seriously thought that we we going to either bury it or be capsized, depending on our direction. It was well after dark when we got in because we had to creep in. In my RIB, these waves would have been like a trip to an amusement park!

I used to think I was the only one who appreciated RIBs until I discovered this forum... Welcome to the Cult of Rubber!
Yes those are nasty conditions for anyone.

I was shocked just how bad some hardboats can be. A mate of mine has a Maxum bowrider which he asked me to recover for him. It is kept in a local marina but the nearest slipway is across the bay - about 3 miles. The bay is very sheltered compared to most areas around here but he was down to about 15mph and being thrown everywhere in waves a RIB wouldn't even have noticed!!!
Old 19 July 2007, 01:49   #22

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
I am new to ribs too and get pleasantly surprised how well they take the seas each time I go out. Someone will blow by me in their 300 hp grady white and come to the mouth of the river meeting the atlantic and their doing 15 knts getting the sh*t kicked out of them and we just blow right by. ("The old tortoise and hare story" comes to mind) But then you get the "occasional sissy" who does not realize the capability of a rib and start screaming you're going to fast (wife is in the other room,post this then move on to drudgereport, can not dump her off, she will take my boat away)
Old 19 July 2007, 01:52   #23

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
(wife is in the other room,post this then move on to drudgereport, can not dumped her off, she will take my boat away)
Yeh know what you mean. My missus is like that. In fact take her out on a nice hot calm day and she still looks green LOL. Divorce coming up if she reads this.
Old 19 July 2007, 02:30   #24

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Can you say capable?

A rib is just a very capable, useable boat overall, not much protection from the elements unless you have a cabin but that is part of the appeal. On a nice day on the water I don't really want to be in a cockpit behind a big wrap around windshield anymore. Being out in the air on the water is just more enjoyable. These boats have a feel about them, a sense that you can handle just about anything that comes at you, and it will be fun in doing so. Last Saturday I took a Friend, his three children and my daughter out on my boat. It was kicking all day four to five foot waves with the occasional six footer. This was their first ride on a rib and not the best conditions, we burned a lot of gas, covered a lot of miles that day and hardly anyone else was out on the lake. His kids had an absolute blast, never were scared and the net result of that one boat ride is that he is seriously looking to buy one in the 25 foot range, he was that impressed!
I second what Lurcher has already said, it is the four by four of the seas....
Old 19 July 2007, 10:00   #25

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
I went from a 5 metre Tornado to a Boston whaler dauntless, i only used the whaler 3 times before i decided to sell it to buy another rib. The whaler was a nice boat i mean all the bling and comfort but it just didn't handle in a lumpy sea, what i'm saying is once you have used a deep vee rib in a lumpy sea nothing else will do
Old 19 July 2007, 17:55   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
... i only used the whaler 3 times before i decided to sell it to buy another rib.
Ouch!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 18:12   #27

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey
... i only used the whaler 3 times before i decided to sell it to buy another rib.

Ouch!
To be fair the Dauntless is more of a leisure hull. An outrage would have been more sea worthy.
Old 20 July 2007, 10:33   #28

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
To be fair the Dauntless is more of a leisure hull. An outrage would have been more sea worthy.
Thats right the outrage has a deeper hull, couldn't find one in my budget though and still would of sold that to buy another rib anyway. Nice boats the whalers, i used to get lots of comments about how nice the boat looked, but its all down to sea keeping for me and not bling, mind you the osprey is a sexy looking boat as well