Old 05 July 2021, 20:17   #21

Length: 3m +
Has anyone used one of these?

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Jo...yabegjdy_d_bwe

Jobe seems one of the better brands and this looks usable behind a small SIB plus easier to get into from the water?
Old 05 July 2021, 22:04   #22

Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Has anyone used one of these?

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Jo...yabegjdy_d_bwe

Jobe seems one of the better brands and this looks usable behind a small SIB plus easier to get into from the water?
Hi
And thank you.
the link isn't working.
Old 05 July 2021, 23:03   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
Hi
And thank you.
the link isn't working.
Works for me.. Strange
Old 06 July 2021, 06:45   #24

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Hi
And thank you.
the link isn't working.
Not sure why the product is fronted through that website. I'm guessing due to a legacy referral cookie on my phone.

https://www.jobesports.com/uk/jobe-hydra-towable-1p-230120009/

This will hopefully work.

It's on my radar because it looks easier to cling to or climb onto than the rings or disks and while it looks to be a more lively ride than the usual doughnut I'm seeing that as less of an issue behind a SIB with a 15!

The other thing we've always done when our children are swimming off a boat is to put a line out the back with a float on it for a bit of safety. However, what I've noticed in recent years is the quote considerable increase in the Solent of the number of people in motorboats who will travel at speed through a group of boats at anchor and even cut between your boat and the float where children are swimming. I'm thinking that a large inflatable toy will be easier for them to spot and that it will also be easier for them to understand that there will be a line between it and the boat!!!
Old 06 July 2021, 09:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Not sure why the product is fronted through that website. I'm guessing due to a legacy referral cookie on my phone.

https://www.jobesports.com/uk/jobe-hydra-towable-1p-230120009/

This will hopefully work.

It's on my radar because it looks easier to cling to or climb onto than the rings or disks and while it looks to be a more lively ride than the usual doughnut I'm seeing that as less of an issue behind a SIB with a 15!

The other thing we've always done when our children are swimming off a boat is to put a line out the back with a float on it for a bit of safety. However, what I've noticed in recent years is the quote considerable increase in the Solent of the number of people in motorboats who will travel at speed through a group of boats at anchor and even cut between your boat and the float where children are swimming. I'm thinking that a large inflatable toy will be easier for them to spot and that it will also be easier for them to understand that there will be a line between it and the boat!!!
That link did work thank you. I agree, it looks easier to climb on to. And exciting to ride! Its a very good price too. Have you thought about an air head Bob? Big and visible. And apparently helps reduce splash and the tendency for the donut to dive? Just a thought. Can't believe the actions of some boaters.
I've seen this Jobe Binar and thought it might be good as you can sit in it as well as kneel. Sitting might be helpful for people who are a bit nervous or have less strength to hold onto It for very long. Probably harder to get on than the hydra though. It can be towed from front and rear.
https://www.jobesports.com/en/jobe-binar-towable-2p-230220008/

The only thing I'm not sure about is what I can reasonably expect to tow. I've got a 5 metre rib with a 50 on the back. There will be at least 2, possibly 3 in the boat and up to 2 on the inflatable.
Having said that, we're not looking to be doing break neck speeds. Someone suggested 10 - 14 knts.
Old 07 July 2021, 22:49   #26

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
We have one of these https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/OB...er_Blue-(95465)

A nervous 14yr old and a hell breaker 15yr old. 20mph and the nervous one is ok, get her back on boat and lick around with 15yr old and both are happy. My tow points are low and the rope picks the water up and throws it in their face. I need a Bob.

The toy has sufficient seating to make the younger people feel safe but is bloody big to keep on my boat deck to and from the place we ski. Adults fit too.

I have never lost one off the toy so can’t comment on access on water. Always been cautious with my driving, even with 15yr old.
Old 08 July 2021, 07:10   #27

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I've got a hydra and it towed fine behind my old Zodiac Futura with a 50HP - they skim across the top of the water on flat lakes with ease.

As above, it's a large item to carry in the boat fully inflated and takes a while to blow up without an electric pump!
Old 08 July 2021, 07:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
We have one of these https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/OB...er_Blue-(95465)

A nervous 14yr old and a hell breaker 15yr old. 20mph and the nervous one is ok, get her back on boat and lick around with 15yr old and both are happy. My tow points are low and the rope picks the water up and throws it in their face. I need a Bob.

The toy has sufficient seating to make the younger people feel safe but is bloody big to keep on my boat deck to and from the place we ski. Adults fit too.

I have never lost one off the toy so can’t comment on access on water. Always been cautious with my driving, even with 15yr old.
Thank you. For some reason I can't follow the link. Its says page not found. Whats the name of the inflatable please?
You've raised a good point about these inflatables. They are bigger than they appear and I was wondering about where to put one on board. I think I might just get one on its side between the helm seat and A-frame. Otherwise I will have to tow it out.
I've thought about getting a turbo swing. But they're ever so expensive. Nearly £400 for our boat.
How do your kids get back in the rib please? Do you use a ladder or just help the up over the tubes?
Thanks again.
Old 08 July 2021, 07:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
I've got a hydra and it towed fine behind my old Zodiac Futura with a 50HP - they skim across the top of the water on flat lakes with ease.

As above, it's a large item to carry in the boat fully inflated and takes a while to blow up without an electric pump!
Thanks thats reassuring. Dont want to buy something only to find i can't tow it properly. They are big aren't they. I'm thinking it might be better to for me to tow them out on a shorter length of rope rather than have ot on board. I will definitely inflate it with an electric pump before launching the boat!
Old 08 July 2021, 08:59   #30

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Thanks thats reassuring. Dont want to buy something only to find i can't tow it properly. They are big aren't they. I'm thinking it might be better to for me to tow them out on a shorter length of rope rather than have ot on board. I will definitely inflate it with an electric pump before launching the boat!
I cut the plug off the end of one of these;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9381...rm:pump:2:19:1

and fitted croc clips. Being able to clip it straight on to the battery means you can inflate/deflate as required, and saves your whole boat being taken up with an inflatable toy when not in use!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2021, 09:46   #31

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
My own experiences

I've got a Jobe Airstream 2, with their recommended towline which I think was 15m / 50 ft. I don't remember there being any boarding issues either to and from the RIB or back onto it from open water.
The quick release was great - I typically gave the leash to the older rider and it did occasionally get used when things got uncomfortable at their end.
I was always slightly disappointed that the towable stayed on the inside during most turns, with very little of the 'fast fling out' effect, but maybe I never inflated it hard enough.
The perceived safe side of towing speeds always seemed annoyingly close to that speed jump of starting to plane.
The only time someone slightly got hurt - nothing serious - was neck ache due to the bouncing around in only slightly choppy water.
I never had someone who could take my place as driver, I always felt I might have learned a lot if I'd had that opportunity.
Old 08 July 2021, 17:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
I cut the plug off the end of one of these;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9381...rm:pump:2:19:1

and fitted croc clips. Being able to clip it straight on to the battery means you can inflate/deflate as required, and saves your whole boat being taken up with an inflatable toy when not in use!
Thats an excellent idea. Thank you. Sometimes the obvious is only obvious when someone makes you aware
Old 08 July 2021, 17:23   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R View Post
I've got a Jobe Airstream 2, with their recommended towline which I think was 15m / 50 ft. I don't remember there being any boarding issues either to and from the RIB or back onto it from open water.
The quick release was great - I typically gave the leash to the older rider and it did occasionally get used when things got uncomfortable at their end.
I was always slightly disappointed that the towable stayed on the inside during most turns, with very little of the 'fast fling out' effect, but maybe I never inflated it hard enough.
The perceived safe side of towing speeds always seemed annoyingly close to that speed jump of starting to plane.
The only time someone slightly got hurt - nothing serious - was neck ache due to the bouncing around in only slightly choppy water.
I never had someone who could take my place as driver, I always felt I might have learned a lot if I'd had that opportunity.
Neil your post has been so useful, and reassuring to read from my perspective. Thanks ever so much.
Old 08 July 2021, 17:37   #34

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Thanks for this discussion guys - I have discovered that for a long time I have needed a booster ball thing .

Have just orderd an Airhead ORB

Thanks
Old 08 July 2021, 17:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecast View Post
Thanks for this discussion guys - I have discovered that for a long time I have needed a booster ball thing .

Have just orderd an Airhead ORB

Thanks

Perhaps you could post a review on here once you've had an opportunity to try it out.
Old 08 July 2021, 17:51   #36

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:

Perhaps you could post a review on here once you've had an opportunity to try it out.

Yep will do - over on Barra with the boat and lots of grown up Kids and their other half’s in a few weeks so will get a good testing.
Old 08 July 2021, 17:57   #37

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Speed can be tricky....recommendation for my Jobe donut is 14kts max - that is 14kts of straight line boat speed.

One you start doing some turns and the ringo is arcing across the wake its going considerably faster I'd estimate

12-14kts is where I get on the lpane, so for me with 5.85 boat and 140HP it is a balance. Speeding up without noticing is something to watchout for

Not the most fuel efficient activity, but great fun
Old 08 July 2021, 19:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Speed can be tricky....recommendation for my Jobe donut is 14kts max - that is 14kts of straight line boat speed.

One you start doing some turns and the ringo is arcing across the wake its going considerably faster I'd estimate

12-14kts is where I get on the lpane, so for me with 5.85 boat and 140HP it is a balance. Speeding up without noticing is something to watchout for

Not the most fuel efficient activity, but great fun
Very good points. Particularly the whipping effect and speeding up without realising it, especially if you're close to planing speed.
Thank you
Old 09 July 2021, 21:50   #39

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I see you are Devon based, where do you run the boat out from?
Old 09 July 2021, 22:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I see you are Devon based, where do you run the boat out from?
Mostly Salcombe.