Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 August 2020, 17:41   #1

Length: 7m +
Which makes should I be looking for (or avoid!)

Am looking for a 4.5 - 5m rib that MUST be able to sit on an un-braked trailer. It will be used for coastal fishing

Probably not new due to cost, but as I have not idea of who is "good" or "not so good", some recommendations of different makes would be much appreciated.

Cheers Rob
Old 16 August 2020, 08:19   #2

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
RIBCRAFT 4.8
XS 460
To name two
Old 16 August 2020, 10:30   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ribcraft 4.8m (obviously)
Avon Searider 4.7m (scarce)
Ribquest 4.8m (if you can find one)
XS 5.0m
Old 16 August 2020, 11:03   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmc View Post
Am looking for a 4.5 - 5m rib that MUST be able to sit on an un-braked trailer. It will be used for coastal fishing

Probably not new due to cost, but as I have not idea of who is "good" or "not so good", some recommendations of different makes would be much appreciated.

Cheers Rob

TBH if the main use is fishing, a RIB might not be the best choice. You’ll get more “bang for your buck” with a Warrior or Shetland e.g. More space, lower maintenance. The seakeeping won’t be as good as a RIB, but it’s more suited to the purpose IMO.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 12:03   #5

Thanks for the suggestion...

Have done quite a number of years with 5 hard boats ranging from my first 18ft cuddy to a 10.5m commercial taking people out charter fishing.

I simply don't want the hassle/ cost of a berth. Day launching a hard boat is ok but for a warrior you need to have a braked trailer (more hassle).

All the reports I've read about ribs and fishing is that it's not a big problem - probably mess is the biggest issue. Since it's mainly just me (sometimes SWMBO) that's not a massive problem.

I feel that going via the RIB route I can get a more capable boat in the 750kg trailer bracket than I can get in a hard boat And if I really didn't like it guess that a rib is easier to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
TBH if the main use is fishing, a RIB might not be the best choice. You’ll get more “bang for your buck” with a Warrior or Shetland e.g. More space, lower maintenance. The seakeeping won’t be as good as a RIB, but it’s more suited to the purpose IMO.
Old 16 August 2020, 12:09   #6

RIBase
Been almost there, we had a quicksilver 530 pilot house on a braked trailer, it had an 80hp outboard plus 5 hp donkey engine. It was a pain to launch and recover, as the slips near where we live are awful. So we ended up keeping it at a marina that was a good hours drive away. We found it a right pain. So we bought a 4.8M Ribcraft. Easy to tow and launch, 60hp engine, so it shifts when i need it to ( 30-32 knots flat out ). I keep it on the trailer in the back garden with a full cover on. I can tow it to our nearest slip ( 15 mins drive ) launch and go fishing. Normally just me and Mrs B, but i have had 4 on and its tight but doable. Just have to be careful with your hooks. I think Spartacus fishes off his 4.8M as well,
Old 16 August 2020, 12:18   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
5.4m Searider will just about go on an unbraked trailer as long as it's not too loaded up with "stuff"
Old 16 August 2020, 12:18   #8

RIBase
Dont know your budget, but this is for sale in Scotland
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/ribcraft-48/636257
Old 16 August 2020, 12:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
Been almost there, we had a quicksilver 530 pilot house on a braked trailer, it had an 80hp outboard plus 5 hp donkey engine. It was a pain to launch and recover, as the slips near where we live are awful. So we ended up keeping it at a marina that was a good hours drive away. We found it a right pain. So we bought a 4.8M Ribcraft. Easy to tow and launch, 60hp engine, so it shifts when i need it to ( 30-32 knots flat out ). I keep it on the trailer in the back garden with a full cover on. I can tow it to our nearest slip ( 15 mins drive ) launch and go fishing. Normally just me and Mrs B, but i have had 4 on and its tight but doable. Just have to be careful with your hooks. I think Spartacus fishes off his 4.8M as well,
Got it in one
Old 16 August 2020, 13:58   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmc View Post
Thanks for the suggestion...

Have done quite a number of years with 5 hard boats ranging from my first 18ft cuddy to a 10.5m commercial taking people out charter fishing.

I simply don't want the hassle/ cost of a berth. Day launching a hard boat is ok but for a warrior you need to have a braked trailer (more hassle).

All the reports I've read about ribs and fishing is that it's not a big problem - probably mess is the biggest issue. Since it's mainly just me (sometimes SWMBO) that's not a massive problem.

I feel that going via the RIB route I can get a more capable boat in the 750kg trailer bracket than I can get in a hard boat And if I really didn't like it guess that a rib is easier to sell

Fair play[emoji106] I didn’t know what experience you had. A lot of folk rock up on here wanting to buy a RIB, but they don’t know why. A RIB will certainly be more capable size for size than a small hard boat, you just need to be prepared for the compromise on internal space.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 15:58   #11

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i tried a hard boat as i liked the thought of a cuddy bought a warrior pro angler with an 80 Suzuki. bloody awful i really should have tried one first . the medium v hull was very slammy anything over 15knots the cuddy amplified the crashing about .it rocked and rolled from side to side on the drift my mrs was seasick (unheard off). oh and i didnt like it . so back to fishing off a rib absolutely no issues at all no contest forget the hard boat unless its 30+ foot long with beds and a bar
Old 16 August 2020, 17:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i tried a hard boat as i liked the thought of a cuddy bought a warrior pro angler with an 80 Suzuki. bloody awful i really should have tried one first . the medium v hull was very slammy anything over 15knots the cuddy amplified the crashing about .it rocked and rolled from side to side on the drift my mrs was seasick (unheard off). oh and i didnt like it . so back to fishing off a rib absolutely no issues at all no contest forget the hard boat unless its 30+ foot long with beds and a bar
Old 16 August 2020, 21:35   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
I think Spartacus fishes off his 4.8M as well.
I do Tim. Just back after a week in Loch Roag, Lewis. Pollack, mackerel and coalie. Boat was looking like a trawler afterwards. Just spent the day with Rib Revive getting it back to showroom condition before it went back in the garage

Back to the OP... only thing I would add, yes it can be beach launched, I've done my fair share of beach launches at low tide at Stonehaven and Cruden Bay, but you really want a slip as it's no lightweight with fuel, auxilliary engine and kit. Never had an issue with hooks when fishing. You just need to be careful.

I like the varsatility of a RIB and feel safe in most seas. That said we were out in the Atlantic tail end of the week, and it was lumpy, so a burst of power for 20 minutes and we were back in the relative safety of a sheltered sea loch.