Old 03 February 2005, 15:22   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
which is the best 6m rib around 18k new.....

im wondering what in many peoples opinion is the best 6m boat out there for a 18k budget all inclusive. i have currently shortlisted a humber 6.3m with suzuki 140 leisure kitted out, with trailer for 18,600.....or an avon rib with same kitt out, and engine, but have to buy engine and boat at different places to get the price down to just under 18,000

what other boats are out there, it is used for leisure use, fishing, cruising, but in areas of potential extremes of weather, namely mumbles near swansea, and also north of scotland, the far north, at lochinver, however i would also like to have it with a good performance, and economy whilst being a very capable sea boat. also, although not a decisive issue it owuld be nice to be able to fit a removable area where others may sunbathe if needed, alothough this is a minor point and by far not essential, after all we cant have it all!

while i am at it, i have for SALE a ZODIAC PRO 9 MAN, with 50hp SUZUKI fourstroke, all 2003 for sale in fantastic condition, only selling cos im looking for a larger boat!!
Old 03 February 2005, 15:29   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I smell mackerel..........

........ :d
Old 03 February 2005, 15:30   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
XS ribs are good value and high quality:

www.xs-ribs.co.uk

They fit boats out with the merc optimax engines, - you can get a 6m with a 150hp for 18.8k (list price), and a 6m with a 115 for 17k.

We just got a new one for our dive club, and there are a few people on the forum with one too.

They will probably do you a deal if you tell them you are looking at humber.

Ricky
Old 03 February 2005, 18:25   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
You could get a solent 6 or 6.5m for less than that.
Fast hulls too

Just remember its all the owners oppinions being posted on here.
Old 03 February 2005, 18:40   #5

Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Everybody will have an opinion and think their boats a good but. There is lots of choice these days and sometimes there is more than 1 good answer. Have a read of these forums you will get a feel for what people rate.

I have lots of experience of the following boats in your range: Humber Destroyer 5.8, Ribtec 585, XS-600 & Tornado 6.8m, happy to talk to you frankly about all of those, message me if you want a chat further.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2005, 18:53   #6

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Very pleased with my Ribcraft
Old 03 February 2005, 18:58   #7

Town: southampton
Make: honda wave 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: yamaha 25 4st
what Humber and what Avon are they!
Old 03 February 2005, 23:15   #8

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorper
you can get a 6m with a 150hp for 18.8k (list price),
The "(list price)" is the important bit here. Try knocking 1.5k off that, if you negotiate a good deal. This includes sea-star hydraulic, A-frame, Full Boat Cover, Trailer, straps, Icom VHF, Compass, the list goes on, pretty much everything you'll need including 24 gallons of Opti Oil!! . Now I'll tell you straight away, this is a biased opinion as you've probably guessed, i've got one.

Completely unbiased though , I would reccommend looking at the 150 Opti also. You'll get more thrills from it, it comes with 3yr warranty, Stainless prop and twin smartcraft gauges all as standard. Some good deals to be had on this engine and they are surprisingly fuel efficient.

As regards RIBs I reccommend you should get quotes frome the following and compare:

Solent Ribs www.solentribs.com (good boats, fast hull)
Ribcraft possibly, if a bit pricey brand new.
Osprey (have a look at Top Banana!! here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8631)
Valiant
Parker
Prosport (You'll be waiting!!)

You could also look at Excalibur Ribs from Cork, Ireland although I don't know how pricey they are but they certainly are quality boats. www.excaliburribs.com or contact Joe (posts as tsunami on here).

I know its a bit tedious but at least you'll know you've made the right choice at the end. Consider after sales support from where you buy also.

HTH!!

Steve
Old 04 February 2005, 10:47   #9

Think twice about the 6m XS as a platform for fishing and certainly try one out. They sit high in the water and as such are not very steady at rest. Moving across the deck from one side to the other will seesaw the boat on its keel. The boat is very balance sensitive.

I have about 5hrs at the helm of an XS-600 now which is not a lot however I do think these are good boats and excellent value for money.

I can not fault these craft while underway and I think they will be fine as a dive platform, due to the loads onboard, however if you are light and fishing stationary the platform may not be very stable and if you are loaded unevenly you will lean to the heavier side and will not sit at rest. level hugging the water.

www.badviz.com
Old 04 February 2005, 11:46   #10

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Lateral thinking

Here's a thought. Consider the Scorpion 7.5m listed with Lyminton Marine Sales here http://www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.u...age_page_3.htm (top left of the page). A 97 but if its anything like the 97 I used to have (Blue Ice) then it'll be in better shape than many newer ribs. You can't beat the performance and seakeeping IMHO and thats a good price. Only downsides for you are a) I suspect thats an old tech engine so you might want to upgrade say to an etec/opti. Probably cost you GBP 4-5k after p.ex of the Mariner. b) You'll need a 4x4 to tow and launch.
Old 04 February 2005, 12:21   #11

Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Boat name: AhandAh (R&R)
Make: Maxum
Length: 7m +
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL
Send a message via AIM to Ribster Rache
best boat?

i was interested to see the Osprey mentioned. We are changing from a 5metre humber to a 5.8 metre Osprey Vipermax with 150 opti which we are very excited about. We were advised to order the hydraullic steering - they say it makes quite a difference.

I thought you had decided on the Humber but it;'s a difficult decision as they are so many boats to choose from.

Old 04 February 2005, 18:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribster Rache
We were advised to order the hydraullic steering - they say it makes quite a difference
Definately, hydraulic steering every time!! It rocks

www.badviz.com
Old 04 February 2005, 23:28   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Ribcraft for me

Though don't expect to get a simalar spec to mine with all electroncis, gps etc for 18k you should I think be able to get an excellent boat for that money from them

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2005, 11:17   #14
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
to a 5.8 metre Osprey Vipermax with 150 opti

Rachel, that boat is gonna fly. Have a nice day in Mawdesley, but beware of the tea. It had lumps of gelcoat in it yesterday.

DM
Old 05 February 2005, 18:17   #15

Mawdsley

There was no gell coat in the coffee today - maybe you only get it in tea!

Thanks for delivering the console but its a pity Gary didn't give you the glove box. We were hoping to see what they look like because they sound like a good concept for our keys, camera and phone.

Anyway the boat's looking good and should be ready for tubing mid week.

Are you coming on Saturday?

regards

Rache
Old 05 February 2005, 19:49   #16
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Are you coming on Saturday?
Probably, if I can blag a ride, but not with the boat. It's in Stavanger.

Rogue Wave, can I have a word about that chartplotter you sold me.

DM
Old 05 February 2005, 22:09   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Probably, if I can blag a ride, but not with the boat. It's in Stavanger.

Rogue Wave, can I have a word about that chartplotter you sold me.

DM

Only if the warranty card has been filled in. I bumped into Matt an dfuller today at drivers we'd just got off the water and Johhny was telling me he'd been in the cabin of Leviathon for an hour with his ebberspacher on,
Are they those thigh length leather German shorts with the braces!

6m 150 thats gonna be nippy get foot staraps fitted
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2005, 08:01   #18

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
i was interested to see the Osprey mentioned. We are changing from a 5metre humber to a 5.8 metre Osprey Vipermax with 150 opti which we are very excited about. We were advised to order the hydraullic steering - they say it makes quite a difference.
I have a Osprey Viper Max 5,8m with a Yamma 150hp V6, boat runs like hell, i pressed the boat up to 49,6 knots and the acceleration is fantastic a Tornado 9,5m with twin 225 Johnson and me was laying still and gave full throttle and he didnt have a chance
I dont know your equipment but the one i have has a double jockey console and a A-frame (i putted 2 extra jockey in afterwards) and i think the 150 Opti is even faster then the 150 V6 Yamma so you have definetly something to be excited about.

I can definetly recommend the hydraulic steering.
Old 06 February 2005, 12:05   #19

OSPREY - 5.8 Vipermax

Petrov, very interested to read your comments. May be we are just starting to realise what we have got coming. It sounds like we are not going to be disappointed with the performance which is good because the boat is unable to take any more horse power. We like to drive on the edge at times as it can give you such an adrenaline rush!!

The engine we have chosen is the Mariner 150 optimax after some research have learnt that these engines will deliver instant power response but if driven in the mid range power band economy kicks in nicely - the best of both worlds.

We've bought the double side by side console from Outhill which is often seen in the Avon 5.6, 5.8 and 6.2 Adventurers and have managed to fit in 4 single jockey seats.

Yesterday we were positioning the console and the seats hopefully getting the weight distribution correct with a 125 litre underfloor fuel tank near forred. We wanted to keep a balanced weight leaning towards the stern as to avoid having the nose buried.

Could you tell us what sort of, if any, big sea conditions you have ever experienced in your 5.8 as we have been known to take on some pretty horrendous seas out of choice in our 5 metre Humber.

Regards

Old 06 February 2005, 16:05   #20

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
I would guess that the weight of our boats are similiar, Osprey GRP are very thick and than offcourse very heavy, i have installed outhills jockey seats behiind the single jockey so the weight there would be the same and i would guess that ouhills side by side is same weight as Osprey double jockey console, i also have a 125 lit fuel tank but feel that the tank maybe could be 50cm futher front because of the power on transom the boat are flying, and its not much hull in the water when driving.
I think its a great boat in the seas, i have also a Osprey Falcon 8,2m and are very spoild how that boat goes in the seas, i have been driving many different rib under 6m and i think the Viper Max 5,8m are really great in the ruff seasm much because of the weight of the boat, i never been driving the Humber 5m, only the 6m but the extra 80cm in the waterline will do a lot in the seas.
Heres a pic of my 5,8m before and after i fitted the extra jockey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	10294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	10295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vipermax58m.jpg
Views:	239