Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
yes - garmin mapsource does
thanks roy - just realised I might have used the wrong language. I meant can I print an A4 Chart (or series of charts) from the software rather than just the list of waypoints etc. Possibly we are both on the same wavelength... ...but surprised no one is doing this and laminating if the garmin software does it. Then you could essentially have a hard copy backup of the electronic chart with your waypoints etc. If some software does it and others don't that might make the difference which software and gps I ultimately get when funds allow.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 29 March 2006, 19:45   #22

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
garmin does print the maps but its not quite full screen as it puts the map in a window and prints tons of copyright info.

but to be honest - windows has the ability to grab a screen shot from any application so anyone can print the maps off just by maximizing the software - getting the map you want on the screen - then hit the print screen button - then just paste the image from the clipboard into you favourite image editing software and print it.

below is a sample of garmins mapsource printout page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garminprintout.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	18209  
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2006, 20:21   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
garmin does print the maps but its not quite full screen as it puts the map in a window and prints tons of copyright info.

but to be honest - windows has the ability to grab a screen shot from any application so anyone can print the maps off just by maximizing the software - getting the map you want on the screen - then hit the print screen button - then just paste the image from the clipboard into you favourite image editing software and print it.

below is a sample of garmins mapsource printout page.
thanks roy.

I had thought about print screen option - but (1) its not great when you have crap screen resolution to start with (which I do at home) and (2) its a bit more of a "faf"
Old 31 March 2006, 10:37   #24

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Great White
Make: Searider 5.4/Dory 13
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp(Rib),30hp(Dory)
My 2p worth

In answer to the original question, I have found the Imray set to be ideal for the local area. It's fairly durable, excludes a lot of the useless information needed only by things over several thousand tonnes, and has close up's of local harbours filling up the otherwise wasted land space.

I feel that a little more land detail would be useful. My skipper has once radioed the CG for help on the north coast of scotland around 15 years ago, whilst totally lost. The chart was useless in finding their position, so they told the CG what they saw, and the CG pulled out his road map and guided them home. Perhaps gradient colours on land for height would be useful?

No one really uses paper for proper navigation now, again, we only use them on a yacht for backup to the 2 GPS plotters. They are, however, far more useful to pick up and scan for local hazards, and for port entry.

Nick
Old 31 March 2006, 19:14   #25

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatfish

No one really uses paper for proper navigation now, again, we only use them on a yacht for backup to the 2 GPS plotters. They are, however, far more useful to pick up and scan for local hazards, and for port entry.

Nick
I do
Old 31 March 2006, 19:46   #26

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta
BA Small craft folios. They are great value, with good coverage and the colours are right (Land,sea etc). I laminate the charts I use the most, costs about £6 per chart. The Solent pack is used almost every day all year round and lasts about 2 years before they need replacing.

Can be folded in half and by using a chinograph pencil rain and spray are never a problem.

www.mclmarine.co.uk
MCL Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2006, 20:12   #27

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Charts

I'm fairly new to the RIB game. For what its worth I have a Raymarine Chartplotter, a Garmin handheld GPS as a backup and use Imray charts. Can't get fully waterproof Stanford charts for my area. The Imray charts are fairly waterproof, kept in their own wallets (folded for where I am cruising) and then stored in a waterproof seethrough folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatfish
In answer to the original question, I have found the Imray set to be ideal for the local area. It's fairly durable, excludes a lot of the useless information needed only by things over several thousand tonnes, and has close up's of local harbours filling up the otherwise wasted land space.
Quite agree - harbour details useful.