Old 25 February 2005, 13:25   #1

Length: 4m +
which boat? Newbie

Having done his PB 2 on holiday last year better half is now looking for a boat. We really need some advice though. We want to use the boat on a large freshwater lake in France (all bylaws etc allow it) Basically want something for towables. Possibly going for an inflatable (Zapcat/surfcat!) or a rib (no idea which). I have seen loads of other inflatables, but have no idea if they will be suitable for our needs. Can anyone tell me what sort of size/engine etc we should be looking for? Any other advice gratefully recieved.
Old 25 February 2005, 13:42   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
I would be tempted to go for a large inflatable seeing as it will not be used at sea. Something like a 3.8M Zodiac Futura with a 30HP outboard should pull donuts, and lightweights up on skis. However it depends how many people are going to be on the boat at the time, as a 30Hp will struggle towing if the boat is fully laden.
My 4m Rib with 40Hp a doutboard pulls onut easily and would probably be able to pull two! It also has no problem with sking or wakeboarding.

Secondly, it also depends how much you want to spend, I think a large sib would be adequate on the lake, but if you ever wanted to go out to sea you will wish you had gone for a rib.

Alex
Old 25 February 2005, 13:50   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Afternoon,

bit of can of worms really I think - a lot of factors to consider
I have a 4m Rib, (1st boat) and very happy with her and her sea keeping ability's - dont forget boatinsurance and running + upkeep costs

safe boating what ever you decide -
Old 27 February 2005, 11:12   #4

Thanks

Thanks folks. I have checked and a few people seem to be using the zapcat/surfcat to tow a "supermabel". Not quite so fussed about the running and up keep as can store the boat at our caravan very near the lake and can get engine serviced locally. More concerned about buying the right boat in the first place. Have seen 2nd hand zapcat for £2880 inluding trailer and 40 hp engine. Any advice on what to look for when I go to see it?