Town: Hoxne
Boat name: Southern Comfort
Make: NorthCraft 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: 235033276
Send a message via MSN to Under the Thumb
Where to go in Suffolk

I'm looking for new places to go and visit around the Suffolk Coast, i've covered the River Deben, Orwell and Ore up to Snape - does anyone know of interesting places to go for a RIB day out?, preferably with a pub lunch.

I'll plan a trip if there are any good places to go see

Will

Marine Safety / Photography / Event Management
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
Under the Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2006, 18:58   #2

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
There is a great Pub at Southwold. Interesting river and very interesting entrance - watch the tides. Details on Boatlaunch of

Very soon you will be able to use the site to send emails along the lines of

I found a page called 'Southwold Sailing Club Southwold[slipway]' on Boatlaunch and thought you may be interested.
Click on this link to see it: http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk//index.a...ay&nodeid=1855

and the map will centre on the point of interest.
Old 18 May 2006, 19:33   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
A trip to Southwold was always favourite with me. A nice run from say the Orwell. Pub at Southwold Harbour is the Harbour Inn (unsurprisingly) which does reasonable food and a decent pint of Adnams. It gets busy in the summer.

Southwold harbour has very strong tidal flow so be careful. If you've done the Ore/Deben then you should be fine. Keep to the North bank after you go past the lifeboat station as there are(were) shoals to the south.

Do be careful about speeding in the harbour. They are a funny lot there and we had an incident a few years ago where doing something with the best intentions - rescuing a yacht going onto the beach, caused allsorts of ruckus!

Other trips would be sarf into Essex:

- Walton Backwaters. Nice easy trip from the Orwell. Have lunch and a pint at Titchmarsh marina or anchor up at stone point with the yachties and play sandcastles on the beach.

- Brightlingsea on the Colne. Several pubs and fish and chip options. Moor on pontoons in the middle of the river & get the watertaxi to shore. The harbourmaster is very helpful. (or was last time I went there!)

- Also on the Colne head up to Rowhedge or Wivenhoe. You used to be able to moor alongside the pub at Rowhedge. Watch the tidal window though its limited!

- Head down to the Blackwater and you've got loads of options. West Mersea you can usually pick up a buoy or if you are small tie up on the pontoon. Couple of pubs.

- Bradwell Marina. Never been to the clubhouse there but launched there lots of times. Good slip if a bit of a drag to drive to. For a pub walk east along the seawal until you get to Bradwell Quay and the Green Man I think it is.

- Take the tide up to Maldon. A wonderful town (I used to live there.) You can stay a couple of hours over high tide on the visitors pontoon or rafted up against a Thames barge. Avoid the Jolly Sailor on the Quay in preference for the Queens Head. Or walk into town and go to the Swan hotel halfway up the high st. Sublime pub grub and a decent pint!

Oh yeah and if you havent already done these a couple of nice little trips are to go up to Ipswich, lock in & pick up a mooring in one of the marina's. There is a really good pub called the Lord Nelson although I couldnt give you directions from memory. The other nice little trip is to go up to Manningtree on the Stour. Moor up at Mistleyquay by the maltings. (or what used to be the maltings as I think they are luxury flats by now). Walk up the road to Mannigtree proper and try the Crown Hotel. Fabbo food and Greene King.

There you go. Enough to be going on with? God I miss decent beer!
Old 19 May 2006, 11:30   #4

Town: Hoxne
Boat name: Southern Comfort
Make: NorthCraft 5.5
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: 235033276
Send a message via MSN to Under the Thumb
Plenty of Adnams opportunities then.

Thanks for planning my next 2 months of boating Alan

Will

Marine Safety / Photography / Event Management
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
Under the Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2006, 21:52   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
There are several slips in Southwold. Most are subject to lots of mud on the lower end of the tide so be careful. A nice little trip which I like to do is either Gt. Yarmouth or Lowestoft to Southwold. Have lunch and go back. Wouldn't mind exploring a bit further south if people fancies a cruise some time....