Old 25 January 2005, 21:25   #61

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
It`s combining the throttle and steering to give max control thats difficult.
You want both hands on the wheel and one hand on the throttle at the sametime for efficent control, eg bike style. I don`t count foot control since that is not really responsive enough. Feet are ok for gear changes but are very poor for throttle control.
Bike style bars would be too heavy for cable steering in the limited lock bars give you.
Old 23 August 2005, 13:54   #62

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Getting back on topic...how hard is it compared to a hard sided boat of the equal size to flip a RIB?
Old 24 August 2005, 19:09   #63

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Getting back on topic...how hard is it compared to a hard sided boat of the equal size to flip a RIB?
Without reading through the entire post to check if someone has already mentioned this (apologies if so) but the windage (and thus the leverage) from the tubes is enormous in a goodly blow. So, to answer your question, IMHO, in certain circumstances, a RIB will (can) flip earlier.
Old 24 August 2005, 19:51   #64

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I don't know whether this has been posted on here before but it shows a lifeboat atlantic 21/75 flipping, unfortunatly its in quicktime:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whitslb/video.mov

It is suprisingly easy to roll a rib if you end up beam on to a rough sea, I rolled a little Ribcraft, while performing a dinghy rescue.

Alex
Bloody Hell!
Old 24 August 2005, 23:15   #65

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quicktime is ok as long as you download media player classic - will play almost anything including that RM rubbish....

Have seen that video before and it sparked quite a bit of debate - I still say most RIBs have their weight too far aft.....
Old 25 August 2005, 00:56   #66

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Hm....so an inexpierenced driver can essentially flip a RIB real easy then?
Old 25 August 2005, 07:28   #67

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Engine: Suzuki DF70
The way I see it, its like driving an SUV. Sure you can flip an SUV but only those that have no understanding of physics and a little understanding of what their handling, anything is possible. I think also knowing your limits and/or understanding the conditions you are in require the proper action. I certainly wouldn't take my SUV going 60 mph around a square corner full speed. I wouldn't expect someone to go flying into the crest of a steep wave expecting zero consequences coming out the back! Of course the dynamics of a churning ocean is more complex but the same ideas apply.
Old 25 August 2005, 13:03   #68

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
The way I see it, its like driving an SUV. Sure you can flip an SUV but only those that have no understanding of physics and a little understanding of what their handling, anything is possible. I think also knowing your limits and/or understanding the conditions you are in require the proper action. I certainly wouldn't take my SUV going 60 mph around a square corner full speed. I wouldn't expect someone to go flying into the crest of a steep wave expecting zero consequences coming out the back! Of course the dynamics of a churning ocean is more complex but the same ideas apply.
Couldn't agree more - quite a few years ago there was a spate of accidents involving the little Suzuki SJ410 rolling over(missed that one Gavin) - quite a few people were killed - mainly teenagers who bought one as a cool beach car - they couldn't quite grasp that something with such a short wheelbase and a high centre of gravity would be unstable!!!

Makes it great offroad though!!!
Old 05 July 2021, 19:23   #69
Sye

Town: Reading
Boat name: T40
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Rolling when going WOT forward?

Hey guys, totally understand how the back flip or roll in turn could easily happen. But on my first run out in the sea in a bit of a chop every now and then when I came off the top of a rogue wave the boat would list over to the right hand side. I’m guessing mainly because of my weight added to the battery and probably the under deck fuel tank. I also noticed as I came sideways along the waves as I went over a wave it would sometimes do it and other times list the other way depending on the angle we came off and hit the next wave. I’m just wondering if your going straight and going pretty quickly if it is possible to fully roll a rib if you hit a wave at the wrong angle?
Old 17 July 2021, 21:14   #70

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Engine: Honda 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sye View Post
Hey guys, totally understand how the back flip or roll in turn could easily happen. But on my first run out in the sea in a bit of a chop every now and then when I came off the top of a rogue wave the boat would list over to the right hand side. I’m guessing mainly because of my weight added to the battery and probably the under deck fuel tank. I also noticed as I came sideways along the waves as I went over a wave it would sometimes do it and other times list the other way depending on the angle we came off and hit the next wave. I’m just wondering if your going straight and going pretty quickly if it is possible to fully roll a rib if you hit a wave at the wrong angle?
Aye, you could flip it. Store anchor and chain as far forward as possible, and push crew forward. Also don't take a nasty head sea straight on. Read the waves, go at an angle, zigzag, duck and dive and ease off the throttle when you look like your going to fly. It's great fun.
Old 18 July 2021, 10:27   #71

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sye View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Broad side on the right (wrong) wave will flip a rib, never be broad side in the break zone always bow into the surf, also a flowing sea can flip you so stay behind the crest of the wave. The huge bouyancy of the tubes keep ribs afloat, it takes a lot of force to lift one tube over the other (roll the boat) but a wave at 30 degrees has a massive head start.

Stuffing the bow in a following sea can also cause a roll as the stern raises it will go ove to one side and then roll and very little you can do once you have stuffed it

Most boats are far more capable than their operators there are some exceptions