Old 27 August 2006, 18:13   #1

Town: Ringwood
Boat name: 4boyz
Make: Cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 outboard
What was happening in the Solent today?

As a relatively new RIbster I thought it would be a good idea to go and watch the powerboat racing this weekend. Went yesterday with the little Moneypits and apart from a bit of chop it was relatively acceptable, the odd shower and a bit windy but pretty good.

Weather forecast (the 4 I looked at) was better today so persuaded Mrs Moneypit to come and arranged to meet some friends from Cowes at Thorney something bay (just West of Gurnard). Well, the wind and waves were much worse and although never in any trouble it was pretty uncomfortable on the way back in my little Zodiac Pro 9. We all got completely soaked because I haven't invested in the full wets yet, and I estimate some waves to be 2 metres and at some points seemingly coming from al directions.

Worst still, for some unknown reason the P1 powerboats dod not follow the same course as yesterday and were specs in the distance from our mooring point.

Lessons learn't for me? Well, I am sure I will be a bit better at reading between the lines of weather forecasts in time. Otherwise I need full wets and a bigger boat! Seriously, I was almost dry of fuel by the time we got back to our launch place, Lymington, as we had used much more than i guesstimated in the heavy seas and whilst I have spare in a can I would not have fancied transferring it to the tank in the middle of the solent so I will buy a proper tand that can just be plugged in.

One final thing, and I apologise if it is a member but witnessed a horrible launching yesterday. Boat next to me (another Rib) on the Lymington slip had inadvertantly released the winch on the trailer and as it began to reverse down the Rib launched itself onto the concrete slip - fell off the trailer. If you're out there, I hope it's OK!

Having to take Mrs Moneypit out to dinner now to compensate for the soaking!

If anyone knows the racing results please let me know!

Cheers.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:59   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Have a look on boatmad.com - all the info is on there!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote