Old 04 February 2004, 06:26   #1

what type of rib???

i want a rib that is capable of crossing the channel an as well as waterskiing an plaesure for 4 maybe 5 people max. money IS an issue so no dream ribs!!
needs to be fast as well!

i was thinking of a 4 metre rib with a 40 -50 on it? what sortta speed will they do an will they have enough grunt for wakeboarding?=
or do i need to look at like a humber 5mtr+ with what engine size??
any ball park prices would be helpful an anything else that you may think helpful
any help would be appreciated.
ty

P.s dont want tiller
Old 04 February 2004, 07:40   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I would suggest for crossing the channel 5.5m plus would be sensible with 75 hp. You will be able to water ski, although a little more power might be useful. With a trailer you should find a second hand rib for £6 - 9k depending on condition and equipment. Have a good look at the for sale forum or put a post on the wanted.

Pete
Old 07 February 2004, 15:55   #3

Town: Utrecht
Boat name: ACHTUNG!
Make: Ribcraft 7.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF-300
some tips

Hi Pete,

some thoughts

1. crossing means buying a RIB with a deep V hull
as you'll otherwise be broken (both you and the boat when you finish your crossing..

On the other hand.. if you want to do more
waterskiing etc.. than a moderate V will also do the job, and is easier (need less HP) to get it onto plane..

2. length : indeed at least 5.5 meter.. bigger = better for offshore though..

but then.. what boat ?

in my opinion these are the makes to consider

Humber
Tornado
Ribcraft

when you want to do offshore runs + waterskiing with a 5.5 meter boat.. 75 HP would be the minimum .. better go for a 90 or something..

I would not buy:

Zodiac (unless military)
Bombard..
Valliant Vanquard (DR and Patrol are OK though)

I own a joker (for pictures go to the gallery) 5.8 meter with a 100 HP 4-stroke.. and I bought it for
9500 euro including trailer...

I think when you want to spent 8 to 10 thousand euro.. you can a very decent second hand set of about 3-4 years old..

To get an idea of prices look at

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com
http://www.apolloduck.com

Hope this helps you a little bit

see ya,

grt. Mervyn
Old 07 February 2004, 18:08   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
in my opinion these are the makes to consider

Humber
Tornado
Ribcraft

when you want to do offshore runs + waterskiing with a 5.5 meter boat.. 75 HP would be the minimum .. better go for a 90 or something..
Ok then, i have a few problems with that...
Yes Humber, Tornado and ribcraft are well built boats but they are VERY heavy, which is not what hixxxy says he wants.
If you want to take 5 people across the channel then they really all have to be seated and finding a humber with seating for more than 2 is quite a rareity.

Quote:
I would not buy:

Zodiac (unless military)
Bombard..
Valliant Vanquard (DR and Patrol are OK though)
Explain yourself.....if any boat is suited to waterskiing wake boarding and the odd cross channel run then it could be either one of the boats you have listed as a no.

Now then, Zodiac open pro 5m or 5.5m - Great boats, well built, deep v hull, and they are quite common on the second hand market, infact there is a 5.5m with suzuki 115 4/s on sale at the moment.

Bombard - very very similar to zodiacs.

Valiant - I had a valiant vanguard 490 and loved it, it had a yamaha 60hp 2/s and did about 40mph, it was perfect for water sports and i would have nothing against taking it to france in just about nay weather. Its ws used on the solent a lot on the rougher days and was a joy to drive, landings were soft and it handeld like a dream. (wishing he haden't sold it)

Back to your original comment, the Vanguard and the DR are the SAME boat. Maybe different tubes but the same hull.
Valiant patrols are very expensive and ive never seen one smaller than 7m second hand.

Id have a look for pretty much all the boats mervyn said not too.
No offence meant to mervyn at all, but if a guy is after a family boat for water sports and having fun then a Ribcraft, Humber, Tornado is not best suited.
Old 07 February 2004, 18:48   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0

Now then, Zodiac open pro 5m or 5.5m - Great boats, well built, deep v hull, and they are quite common on the second hand market, infact there is a 5.5m with suzuki 115 4/s on sale at the moment.

Why is that then?

If you want an under 5 metre boat that will hold it's value I think that an Avon Searider 4.7 or a Ribcraft 4.8 are fairly unbeatable. You do want a small boat to be heavily constructed.cos it's going to take a lot of pounding from the big Nasty Sea. Both ofthose boats become Glorious with a 70 on em

If You want an under 6 mtere boat Searider 5.4 or Ribcraft 585.

if you are looking for an old boat then consider a Flatacraft
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2004, 19:25   #6

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Get a FALCON 640SR.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2004, 20:03   #7

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Boat size

Name me a humber that s heavy ?? my 8.5 is light compared to its rivals, and so the smaller ones are not heavy at all-- compared to the rest they are far from 'heavy' boats -- well built, but not heavy... so disregard that comment in the real world.........

I must say, breaking away from the humbermould which i am in, the BWM deep sea 18 i bought from Daniel, is an excellent boat, with a good ride for the size, and has out performed all i thought it would ,, do not know if Daniel should know what i am doing to his ex boat, but it is now in Benbecula, has been out in seas that i would really have to think about in a 9,5m, has been swamped, in 6-10m swell and is a great machine......... i would almost say sometimes it is better than my 7m......... so size is not everything.....

Pete
Old 07 February 2004, 20:07   #8

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0
Ok then, i have a few problems with that...
Yes Humber, Tornado and ribcraft are well built boats but they are VERY heavy, which is not what hixxxy says he wants.
If you want to take 5 people across the channel then they really all have to be seated and finding a humber with seating for more than 2 is quite a rareity.
Well mine has seating for four on Deluxe Jockey Seats and three more for people who dont mind getting wet.

And it does not weigh very much either.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2004, 20:33   #9

Quote:
seating for more than 2 is quite a rareity
Surely one of the great things about a rib is that it can be altered by fitting different consoles and seats.

Quote:
well built boats but they are VERY heavy, which is not what hixxxy says he wants
When did he say he didn't want a well built boat ? Heavy ? compared to what ?

Quote:
family boat for water sports and having fun then a Ribcraft, Humber, Tornado is not best suited.
hmm, lots of people on here might think differently.

Hixxy, in addition to Ribcraft Tonrado and Humber you might find an older Ribtec before they went to SA a 5.85 for example, possibly an Opsrey or if you are lucky a Delta. These ribs have either deep v hulls or warped Vs which are great for the rough stuff but depending on how good a water skier you are may not have the ideal wave that you are looking for. You will probably have to compromise on one part of your requirement. Have a good look around and if you see something interesting post a pic on here. Its sure to spark an interesting debate whilst we wait for spring. Good time to go looking though.

Pete
Old 07 February 2004, 20:43   #10

Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
Dont look back get a RIBTEC
Old 10 February 2004, 04:43   #11

thank you for your help

first let me thank all of you who have replied with a lot of advice ( some conflicting slightly) but all out of experience i reckon.
lot of info to consider now an yes i believe i may have to compromise on one of my criteria. its not a problem to adapt my watersking to the boat .

WHat about an ex mod avon with a yamaha 85?
is there any known prorblems with them??
what sort of speed will these do WOT??
anyone know what the rough fuel usuage is at WOT?

any more advice is greatly appreciated an my thanks goes out to you.
Your all angels
Old 10 February 2004, 05:26   #12

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
AVONs are good boats.
The X-MOD you refer to must be one of the old 5 mtr models.
If I am not mistaken, with a 75bhp and 19" prop you will be doing about 45-48 knots at WOT with 17" prop about 38-40 knots at WOT but you will have better acceleration and plane quicker.
Consumption from what I can remember (if this is the 2-stroke engine) about 1 and a bit ltr/mile .

PS: Just to correct that I can't remember if it was knots or miles. But the instruments were those made by Quick Silver and they showed the above speed values.
Old 10 February 2004, 07:40   #13

Hixxy, the Yamaha 85s are based on the same block as the 90 and have been around longer than Johnny Fuller. Simple in design and have a proven track record both for leasure, commerical and racing. We have one in the dive club. It was used by a former dive school before we got out hands on it. Despite not being servied for a decade with a little TLC she now runs well and is proving a good buy even if she is 15 years old.

But note it will be premix so stike a hard bargin with Atlantic if you go and look at her.

We use 5 - 6 gals an hour with 4 divers and kit cruising at 22 knots.

Merc props will fit with a conversion ring and are half the price of a Yam prop.

The Avon is a great hull too, to only down side is the seat is a little low for some although there is a feeling of sitting in rather than on the boat.

Pete
Old 11 February 2004, 02:05   #14

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I have a Gemini 5.05 deep V hull with an 85 Yam cv 2 stroke on it.

a decent boat BUT I think a bit more power would be useful and a bit more urgency onto the plane would be nice.

also, when I bought, I did so without worrying too much about the seating arrangements and as such - if we go outside the harbour (its a BIG harbour) in any kind of swell I stay fairly dry (gemini jockey console all in one seat) but most pax get wet (low bench seat at the rear of the boat).

I paid $16K AUD = 6K GBP and everything was 1.5 years old and only 20 hours on the engine.

If I was doing it all again, i'd get a 6m rib with a 115 at least with two double jockeys and a seat at the front.

Particularly if I was going to be doing channel crossings...

But thats just me...

HTH
Old 11 February 2004, 04:58   #15

Edward I use to have a 5mtr Gemini with a 75 Mariner.
When I had a 19" pitch prop the boat was slow on the plane and with some passengers on board it was very slugish.
Changed the prop to 17" and it was accelerating like a rocket whatever the weight on it. Top speed was not compromised much.
Suggest that you explore that avenue
Old 11 February 2004, 05:51   #16

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Oh God...now we'll be off down the Chandlers again...

Missus

(BTW Ed which channel are you talking about? Yer not headin off to Tazzy are ya?????????)
Old 11 February 2004, 07:56   #17

Suprisingly I find myself agreeing with Manos for once Edward that boat should fly with 85 hp on a light 5m hull. If you get the adaptor ring from Mercury you can fit Merc props which are much cheaper than Yamaha.

Pete
Old 11 February 2004, 19:55   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
Suprisingly I find myself agreeing with Manos for once Pete
I'm honoured!!
Old 12 February 2004, 01:29   #19

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
many thanks guys... that is something I shall look into forthwith while there is still some summer left... Manos - that is EXACTLY the symptoms, fine when i am solo or two up, but with 4 or 6 on, its very sluggish. We don't do much top speed work tbh so I shall give it a go.

I have been wondering what else to spend some money on for a while so looks like a new prop may be the option and i'll certainly see if an adaptor ring is possible.

i'll let you know how it goes...

Missus - i'll not be taking on the Bass Strait in a 5m boat thats for sure... no, i was just dreaming of blighty...
Old 12 February 2004, 05:12   #20

Good luck Edward
I'm sure a new 17' pitch prop will work fine on the boat