Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 June 2017, 14:06   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Length: 5m +
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
What is the target market for each manufacturer?

I'm am in the process of looking for my first rib I'm doing a lot of research on what type of rib I want. I'm looking for something for leisure use than can handle some pretty rough weather if it turns bad, ribcraft and humber seem to market themselves towards that market.

Others such as Redbay seem to be just as capable (probably more) but market themselves towards light commercial/SAR use. Osprey seem to be fast and tornado (from Hull) for diving.

It would be interesting to hear what others opinions are on rib manufacturers and who their
target market is.

Ie what sort of rib do you have and why did you chose it?
__________________

__________________
daveirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:16   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
you have made a very broad sweeping statement there with what you think each maker offers, it isn't that simple....and you are wrong with some assumptions there

to narrow down what boat you want all we really need to know is the budget, what you want it for, how many people and what size ideally do you want.
__________________

__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:33   #3
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
you have made a very broad sweeping statement there with what you think each maker offers, it isn't that simple....and you are wrong with some assumptions there
There you go - I thought he'd pretty much nailed it...

But ultimately, they're all just blow-up boats
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:40   #4
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Length: 5m +
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Hi Xk59D,

Agreed my statements are broad, its based on what I have come across while doing my research. They are more a conversation starter than fact, I don't think there are right or wrong answers, just opinions and experiences.

For example you say some of my assumptions are wrong, I'd like to know why you think that?

What type of boat did you chose and why?
__________________
daveirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:43   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
There you go - I thought he'd pretty much nailed it..
I kinda thought that too...
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:51   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
i'm saying it is wrong because Avon for example make the SR and Adventure series, total chalk and cheese so you couldn't just buy an Avon and it will be the same in similar conditions. The same also applies to Humber and a couple of others too.

i bought a ribcraft because i wanted a "deep V" rather than what i had previously, i have never been on a ribcraft until the day mine arrived. i didn't even go to see it, all done over the tinterweb.....i wouldn't recommend that though i just knew i wanted a ribcraft and my options were a spank new 585 or a demo 6.8.....easy choice
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:56   #7
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i bought a ribcraft because i wanted a "deep V" rather than what i had previously, i have never been on a ribcraft until the day mine arrived. i didn't even go to see it...
Would it be fair to say that you bought it because you wanted something for leisure use that could handle some pretty rough weather if it turned bad?
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 14:58   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
no, i bought it as it looked better than the one next to it
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 15:01   #9
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,758
RIBase
IMO boats tend to reflect the local conditions rather than target market. UK designed & built boats tend to be deeper "V" & more utilitarian than their continental counterparts. This is due to the weather & sea conditions that they operate in. Med boats tend to be more orientated to warm weather lounging & calmer waters. The first name that always springs to (my) mind when someone mentions "leisure" is Ribeye. If you're not buying new, your choice is limited to what's on the market rather than ideal spec, unless you're very lucky. Ultimately your choice is limited by budget.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 15:01   #10
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
no, i bought it as it looked better than the one next to it
Well, in fairness I can relate to that
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 15:29   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Homestead
Boat name: Nautica
Make: Nautica
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard petrol
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
I own a Nuova Jolly and it's been an amazing riding boat in really really bad weather.
__________________
Bigquick2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 15:44   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,119
RIBase
IMO being around boats both leisure & working for years it's very hard to choose from the top makes as mentioned unless you can side by side them on the day.

For me builders like Humber in no way biased have been around for 50 years make all kinds of boat for all conditions that for me is a base to start from then on its the deal you can strike.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 15:48   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,038
RIBase
I bought mine because I liked the no-nonsense Tonka toyness of it. It was quite a lot of brick out house boat for the money. The diesel attracted me because of the lower fire risk and availability in far flung bits of the UK. It's big, slow and heavy so reflects its owner quite well.

If your boat is a toy, then it possibly reflects the lifestyle you have or aspire to.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 02:52   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
no, i bought it as it looked better than the one next to it
That is the best and most honest answer I've ever seen on a forum weather it be buying boats or cars.
__________________

__________________
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.