Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 December 2021, 18:18   #1

Town: Lizard
What do you think this rib is worth?

Hi Guys, had a msg from a friend of a friend today who is selling their Rib. Can you please give me an idea if you think the value of the rib is good/bad?

Its a Brig 480 Eagle - perfect size for our needs
Been antifouled (but looks clean)
very nice clean condition inside/out.
Hypalon
Garmin VHF/Plotter
SBS Trailer
Suzuki DF70 Four stroke
Apparently near perfect condition. Holds air perfectly. No punctures.
They want £17,700 for it.

Good / bad?

I cant seem to find old prices (looked at sold on ebay also) so finding it difficult to judge.
Old 09 December 2021, 10:40   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Hi Guys, had a msg from a friend of a friend today who is selling their Rib. Can you please give me an idea if you think the value of the rib is good/bad?

Hypalon
Garmin VHF/Plotter
SBS Trailer
Suzuki DF70 Four stroke

Good / bad?

I cant seem to find old prices (looked at sold on ebay also) so finding it difficult to judge.
2015 Eagle 480 £20K
2021 Falcon 500 £21K
2019 Falcon 420 £15K

Old 09 December 2021, 10:51   #3

Thanks saw those. One of them is a “from” price and the last one is PVC and would prefer larger than 40. The first one looks a bit tatty and overpriced compared to my option so all in all the boat that was offered looks like a good option for me at £17,700.
Old 09 December 2021, 10:54   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Wolf Rock have a 5m at just under 17K, and is a year younger - would it fit?

https://www.thewolfrock.co.uk/boats/...ider-500l-2015

and the 4.8 as above - https://www.thewolfrock.co.uk/boats/eagle-480h-2015.

So looking at the two above, your mates seems a little high, but not by much. Jason at Wolf Rock is well worth a chat with if its a Brig that you're after - they usually have some wriggle room on the price......

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2021, 11:50   #5

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Buying from a dealer you have the protections of the Consumer Rights Act.

Buying privately you have far fewer rights & would usually need to prove - in court if necessary - that anything the seller told you misrepresented the item.
Old 09 December 2021, 15:00   #6

treerat - thanks for those. The first is a 2 stroke engine which i don't want (my smoky rd350 biking days are over as much as i still love the smell of premix)

The second is far tattier (is that a word?) than my mates and looks like it antifouled and almost £3k more expensive as im sure i will be able to get the other boat for 16.5 - 17k

With regards to buying from a dealer, years of buying used cars from dealers has really made it clear how little you can do in disputes without going through major legal hoops and headaches. Im sure they wont be like that but generally speaking its not something i look at with much confidence or give it to much weight.
Old 09 December 2021, 15:25   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
I think you'd be surprised by smoke free clean burning direct injection two strokes.

Anyway here's a great site that lists prior sales
https://wales.boatshed.com/dosearch....e+480%22%5D%7D

Have you considered a hard sided boat? Many happy RIB memories but personally glad to have gone over to the darkside and am tube free nowadays Has more deck area and longer hull than an equivalent length RIB.
Old 09 December 2021, 15:51   #8

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
You have convinced yourself it is a good by, go and put a cheeky offer in😄👍
Old 09 December 2021, 23:17   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Crikey! I knew the market had gone crazy - but nearly £20K for a 7yr old 4.8m rib with a 70HP...

I just looked at what a new one is costing and that's really silly money too!

Frankly without Covid price issues I'd not have been surprised if you could negotiated it down to 4 figures rather than 5! Now it might be its just the right sweet spot for the staycation market, and perhaps Omicron given sufficient uncertainty for summer 2022 in the med that it keeps the prices high... but I'd say to anyone buying now beware, if you want to sell in 2023/2024 there may be a sudden rush of people looking to offload now they can travel and realise how expensive boat ownership is, or perhaps they are hooked for a few years and want to upgrade as stock levels etc recover. It may be the sweet spot for "leisure" ribs today but I wonder if the demand will be for something different when the type of buyer shifts?

How would you feel it you only got 1/2 its value back in 3 yrs?
Old 10 December 2021, 16:29   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
treerat - thanks for those. The first is a 2 stroke engine which i don't want (my smoky rd350 biking days are over as much as i still love the smell of premix)

The second is far tattier (is that a word?) than my mates and looks like it antifouled and almost £3k more expensive as im sure i will be able to get the other boat for 16.5 - 17k

With regards to buying from a dealer, years of buying used cars from dealers has really made it clear how little you can do in disputes without going through major legal hoops and headaches. Im sure they wont be like that but generally speaking its not something i look at with muc inh confidence or give it to much weight.
It's not a car you're buying. A boat carries a lien that a dealer would indemnify you against........ worth remembering..��
Old 11 December 2021, 09:34   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
With regards to buying from a dealer, years of buying used cars from dealers has really made it clear how little you can do in disputes without going through major legal hoops and headaches. Im sure they wont be like that but generally speaking its not something i look at with much confidence or give it to much weight.[/QUOTE]

I also hate buying stuff from dealers too they usually carry a substantial price premium (2-3k probablyin this case) & they know exactly what the bare minimum of cover is they need to give.
Id much rather buy from an enthusiastic owner who is keen to demonstrate his item & shows some pride in it and wants the new owner to enjoy it like he has. Obviously you as a buyer need to engage with the seller meet them & ensure they are enthusiastic & find evidence that they have used & cared for the boat the way you'd expect.
Often you end up with the seller throwing in accessories or extras that a dealer would keep to one side.
I do tend to agree with poly though re current pricing & the potential for big drops in value although that might not happen & lifes too short to wait for the ultimate bargain.
If I was in your position I think id look at something slightly older & cheaper to get me out on the water & a feel for things then think about upgrading when the market has leveled. A 30% hit on a 10k boat is better than a 30% hit on a 20k boat but that drop may never happen.
Only you can decide what you want & what your comfortable with buying. On the face of it compared to what's about just now your pals boat looks a reasonable deal. As spring approaches more stuff will come onto the market, whether more buyers are about to snap them up is anyones guess
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 11 December 2021, 11:54   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Problem of waiting until spring & improving weather is that more people will be looking & prices will start to go up again.

The bubble may eventually burst but when?
Old 12 December 2021, 22:07   #13

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:

Hypalon
Garmin VHF/Plotter
SBS Trailer
Suzuki DF70 Four stroke

Good / bad?

So changing the thought process a little ,I am considering the sale of my r/c 5.3 in the new year ,so if i said 2004 boat with 2014 honda with ninety hours and newish launch trailer,never antifouled ,2.35m beam, offered say 15.5k !!! .. How does your Brig look now ? ?
Old 12 December 2021, 22:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
So changing the thought process a little ,I am considering the sale of my r/c 5.3 in the new year ,so if i said 2004 boat with 2014 honda with ninety hours and newish launch trailer,never antifouled ,2.35m beam, offered say 15.5k !!! .. How does your Brig look now ? ?
Not 100% sure but makes the brig look ok I guess?

Yes the r/c is a better make, but the boat is quite a bit older. Not sure of engine size or electronics but assuming similar I would tend to go for the one that was substantially newer. But what do I know? I’ve only ever been on a rib twice.
Old 13 December 2021, 08:27   #15

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Not 100% sure but makes the brig look ok I guess?

Yes the r/c is a better make, but the boat is quite a bit older. Not sure of engine size or electronics but assuming similar I would tend to go for the one that was substantially newer. But what do I know? I’ve only ever been on a rib twice.
Yes i would tend to agree with you prviding the boat has a good beam ,i nearly fell into a similar dilema when i bought a new highfield in 2014 , a 4.6 or .8 was in my budget but on closer investigation i noticed the beam of the 4.6 was way less than the 5.0metre so i stretched the budget and bought 5 metre and never regretted it ,neither with sea keeping or indeed resale value

Tags
rib