Old 21 June 2011, 07:24   #21

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
We have done a few new boats using Topside for branding reasons and had good results but to be honest if there is nothing wrong with the look of the material I would not paint it with anything. The Topside is flexible and does stay on very well but you do have to prep it properly and I would avoid painting any areas prone to rubbing like the fender.
Old 21 June 2011, 09:24   #22

Town: Wales
Boat name: Humber attaque 5.3m
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 petrol
Paint advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
We have done a few new boats using Topside .......had good results ....... The Topside is flexible and does stay on very well but you do have to prep it properly and I would avoid painting any areas prone to rubbing like the fender.
Thanks guys, I know what chlorosulfonated polyethylene is now

looking at 'Tuff coat' I assume that Ribshop 'Topside' is same stuff (or very similar).

If that is the case? I see as you said prep is absolutely the key to get a good bond and even then it is still two layers, i.e original surface and coating. albeit the coating is liquid chlorosulfonated polyethylene (Hypalon).

so in effect you get double layer of hypalon on the finished product. But would be prone to scuffing and delamination if not prepped properly.

I hope I have interpreted the info correctly? as looking to overcoat with the original material is what I would like to do, if I coat at all.

Taking your advice Ribshop I had already picked up a 1m patch of hypalon to get rid of a bad patch put on by a previous owner rather than paint.

Other than that the Rib was just dirty and has come up well with a clean, so I am reluctant to paint anyway (hence the one patch repair, repair).

Is there anything in the shop equivalent to 303 protector colour restoring?

Once patch is on there will be no doubt a colour mismatch, even though I have cleaned well so I was thinking of using 303 as I have read good reports on the colour restoring properties.

Sorry for the long post, thinking aloud to take the right steps.

Thanks all
Old 21 June 2011, 09:47   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliox View Post
theres loads of great advice here but my only gripe is the threads get buffered out with chit chat on next doors cat and how to put air in a car tyre etc,
This thread about RIB painting appears to have got buffered out with chit chat about cleaning, patching and colour restoring. It's funny how that happens so much on here. Drives me mental...
Old 21 June 2011, 10:10   #24

Our Rib Conditioner gets good results, see this link

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribshop-...ult-34829.html

http://rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp?PT_...ageHistory=cat
Old 21 June 2011, 10:45   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I've used it - it's top stuff. If the weather is cold, you'll need to warm the tube in hot water to get the best coverage from it.
Old 21 June 2011, 12:30   #26

Town: Wales
Boat name: Humber attaque 5.3m
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This thread about RIB painting appears to have got buffered out with chit chat about cleaning, patching and colour restoring. It's funny how that happens so much on here. Drives me mental...
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've used it - it's top stuff. If the weather is cold, you'll need to warm the tube in hot water to get the best coverage from it.
Now its buffered out with shameless thread hijacking about some guy/gal warming his tube in cold weather

Jokes aside, all thoughts advice welcome, I've already ordered 303 but will put in order with Ribshop for their conditioner as clearly from the example shown the result was outstanding.

I'll use both and if they are equal in performance I'll use the uk based product

oh, and pushing my luck on this thread I have searched threads for ribs antislip tube protectors, wear patches and have only come with Henshaws at the moment are there any others you know of?

(The reason I have added that into thread is because I want to know if the wear patches would stick to the inflatable paint, and would adhesive stick to the tubes after using 303 or ribshop conditioner?)
Old 21 June 2011, 13:10   #27

http://rib-shop.com/product.asp?numR...For=&PT_ID=232

« Photos | Top | flush bag »