Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar 4.80 View Post
beneteau antares 7 & merryfisher 6.95 with 175-200 hp good boats for money. the big advantage of towing due to weight

Interesting choices
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 09:34   #42

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
beneteau antares 7 & merryfisher 6.95 with 175-200 hp good boats for money. the big advantage of towing due to weight
Did you read the above posts?

The fact that they supposedly tow ok is rather irrelevant if as soon as it see's water your getting thrown around like a cork, they're probably fine for inland waters and ponds lol - but not out in anything resembling rough or challenging conditions. Never heard anyone ever complimenting there ability's in rough water - in fact quite the opposite
Oh, many people are fair weather boaters which is fine, but that one day, the wind picks up, a unpredicted front appears and you and you family have to make a run back to your home port through some nasty stuff - that's when your choice of boat comes into play - and your don't scare the crap out of your family!
Old 10 September 2018, 09:43   #43

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
What boat would you buy it not a rib

Put me down for a Nordhavn 52. Liveaboard, long range cruising. *Slightly* closer to reality: for the west coast of Scotland probably an 11m Redbay. Though I guess that’s technically a RIB so... Nord Star 37 or Sargo 36?
Old 10 September 2018, 10:03   #44

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
XO 360 every time please.
Old 10 September 2018, 10:12   #45

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
I'm " between ribs " as they say in theatrical circles ! I've just bought a couple of these to mess about in with the grandkids..........!

The OP did say modest...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	126788  
Old 10 September 2018, 10:24   #46

Town: istanbul
Make: northstar
Length: 4m +
Engine: evinrude etec 60
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post

The fact that they supposedly tow ok is rather irrelevant if as soon as it see's water your getting thrown around like a cork, they're probably fine for inland waters and ponds lol - but not out in anything resembling rough or challenging conditions. Never heard anyone ever complimenting there ability's in rough water - in fact quite the opposite
Oh, many people are fair weather boaters which is fine, but that one day, the wind picks up, a unpredicted front appears and you and you family have to make a run back to your home port through some nasty stuff - that's when your choice of boat comes into play - and your don't scare the crap out of your family!
have you ever been onboard on one of those boats fender ? do you have any own experience ?

a friend of mine have an antares 7.80 with 200hp suzuki.
we are making fishing jigging trips with our families. no one complain about the state at 6-7 beaufort weather.
a boat has a light displacement of 1830 kg is stable enough for family trips
Old 10 September 2018, 10:41   #47

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
given the budget, a Nordhavn
Becoming de rigueur in the marinas around here lately. Slow and eye wateringly expensive.

If I'm dumping toobs, it would be for rags and sticks. Finding the time that it would take to get anywhere is my problem.
Old 10 September 2018, 10:44   #48

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Why are you trawling the bargain bucket here fella? There's no budget attached to this 'fantasy' thread.
Old 10 September 2018, 10:47   #49

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
If I'm dumping toobs, it would be for rags and sticks. Finding the time that it would take to get anywhere is my problem.
You don't go "somewhere", you just go and enjoy. Complete change of mindset. Mind you - if I went that way then the tender would be an Aerotec with 25hp
Old 10 September 2018, 10:56   #50

Quote:
have you ever been onboard on one of those boats fender ? do you have any own experience ?

a friend of mine have an antares 7.80 with 200hp suzuki.
we are making fishing jigging trips with our families. no one complain about the state at 6-7 beaufort weather.
a boat has a light displacement of 1830 kg is stable enough for family trips
Yep, been on them, didn't like it - felt crap in any sort of chop - very, very slammy. Not for me - thanks

I appreciate your defending your friends boat but there's ALOT better choice out there, numerous other posters have already said the same - I know a few grizzled weather beaten old timers who have spent many, many decades of their life floating and they have a little chuckle when they see the Merry fisher style mobile hob and toilet drift past, I promise you they'd NEVER own one
Old 10 September 2018, 11:15   #51

Quote:
Slow

Well that’s displacement cruising for you. A Nordhavn 52 will cruise at 7knots using about 2liters per nautical, a planing boat of a similar size would be 3 or 4 times that.

Quote:
If I'm dumping toobs, it would be for rags and sticks.

We’ve thought about this too: my boating childhood was spent on various types of sailing boat from Mirror dinghies to 35 ft yachts, so it’s something I’m comfortable with. The costs are much lower (like for like) than motorboats; we could trade the RIB in tomorrow and buy a reasonably serviceable 30ft Westerley.

The real problem is that when you’re not actually on deck sailing the thing, they aren’t a specially nice place to be. You don’t get to see out much even in modern ones where they’ve made an effort to add ‘windows’. In a Mobo can see out so even if the weathers shit and you’re stuck in an anchorage in the pissing rain it’s still quite a nice place to be.
Old 10 September 2018, 11:39   #52

Town: West Sussex
well on Saturday I made a fundamental mistake and took my wife to see the Parker Monaco. She asked why can't that boat be our next UK demo boat .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	126790  
Old 10 September 2018, 11:43   #53

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
Yep, been on them, didn't like it - felt crap in any sort of chop - very, very slammy. Not for me - thanks

I appreciate your defending your friends boat but there's ALOT better choice out there, numerous other posters have already said the same - I know a few grizzled weather beaten old timers who have spent many, many decades of their life floating and they have a little chuckle when they see the Merry fisher style mobile hob and toilet drift past, I promise you they'd NEVER own one
Quote:

Quote:
Interesting choices

So if the requirements are:-
1. UK tow legal
2. Fridge + Cooker + Sink & reasonable bed size
3. Light & roomy
I'm really starting to sound like a caravanner, gulp!

Is there anything that can meet those requirements but handle better than a Merry Fisher? They sell like hot cakes. Is there something fundamentally wrong with their design or is it just an inevitable compromise of having a lightweight caravan on water?
Much as I'd love a Targa it's £100k more & can't be towed
Old 10 September 2018, 12:12   #54

Town: South Yorks
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post

1. UK tow legal

3. Light & roomy

Is there anything that can meet those requirements but handle better than a Merry Fisher? They sell like hot cakes. Is there something fundamentally wrong with their design or is it just an inevitable compromise of having a lightweight caravan on water?

A caravan would provide all those facilities and still be a better seaboat than a merry Fisher, they are ‘kin hideous and have no rights to be called a boat.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 September 2018, 12:15   #55

Town: South Yorks
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Well that’s displacement cruising for you. A Nordhavn 52 will cruise at 7knots using about 2liters per nautical, a planing boat of a similar size would be 3 or 4 times that.

Nah! You want the 55’ you get an auxiliary wing engine[emoji106]
Old 10 September 2018, 12:32   #56

Quote:
A caravan would provide all those facilities and still be a better seaboat than a merry Fisher, they are ‘kin hideous and have no rights to be called a boat.
Now come-on, don't hold back, say what you really think.........
Old 10 September 2018, 12:42   #57

Quote:
I think they all get a wing engine. Even the 40 had one i think. The 52 currently lying at Swanick, and the 43 at Hamble in their brokerage section both have a wing.
Old 10 September 2018, 12:48   #58

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Put me down for a Nordhavn 52. Liveaboard, long range cruising. *Slightly* closer to reality: for the west coast of Scotland probably an 11m Redbay. Though I guess that’s technically a RIB so... Nord Star 37 or Sargo 36?
Quote:
You get (or can have) a wing engine on the 52? James Hamilton certainly has one on Dirona (very interesting blog he runs at www.mvdirona.com for us dreamers).

My major thing against the Nordhavns is the speed and range - to get a decent ocean range out of it, especially the smaller ones, you have to slow right down, or add loads of deck tanks. From memory, on the Nordhavn Atlantic Rally the 40/43's were doing something like 5kn to eeek out the range required - I can make our sailing yacht go faster than that most of the time! That's what drew me to the FPB's in my ultimate dream world - they have massive range at a decent speed of 9-10kn. But other drawbacks perhaps around accommodation.

I'll stop dreaming and go back to work now... :-).
Old 10 September 2018, 12:48   #59

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
1. UK tow legal
3. Light & roomy

Everything is a compromise. I have a ST Boats 780, basically a Spanish Merry Fisher style boat, but I still feel lucky to have her. I also have a RIB. Yes, the ST rolls a bit when drifting or at anchor, it's also slow (but very economical with its 150 Penta) and not half as much fun to handle as the RIB, but for a day/night out fishing with some mates, or a day out with the Mrs (who once said she would never board a boat smaller than a cruise ship and is scared of the RIB), its a winner for me. Love some of the dream boats listed but, way out of my price league even if I sold my ST and my RIB.

ps, I guess a pair of Axopar 24's would be a happy replacement for me
Old 10 September 2018, 13:03   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
You get (or can have) a wing engine on the 52? James Hamilton certainly has one on Dirona (very interesting blog he runs at www.mvdirona.com for us dreamers).

My major thing against the Nordhavns is the speed and range - to get a decent ocean range out of it, especially the smaller ones, you have to slow right down, or add loads of deck tanks. From memory, on the Nordhavn Atlantic Rally the 40/43's were doing something like 5kn to eeek out the range required - I can make our sailing yacht go faster than that most of the time! That's what drew me to the FPB's in my ultimate dream world - they have massive range at a decent speed of 9-10kn. But other drawbacks perhaps around accommodation.

I'll stop dreaming and go back to work now... :-).
The FPBs have an awful lot of glass low in the superstructure. Looks kinda vulnerable to me. I know the Nordhavns have window shields they wear for ocean crossing (Dirona does anyway).

Tags
rib