Old 02 January 2020, 19:43   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Tiny Dancer
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp outboard
What 4m rib for family fun?

I currently have a 4m Avon Searider deluxe with the back to back seating and bow dodger. It is a fantastic rib and handles choppy conditions with ease. The only problem I have with it is that there is not much in the way of usable deck space. By the time me, my wife and daughter are in the boat and with the fuel tank and wakeboard there isn’t much room left (none at all in fact).
Unfortunately I cannot go any bigger than 4m because I need to keep the boat in the 5.3m long garage. Are there any 4m ribs out there with a leisure seating layout that would suit my needs better? I have thought about changing the seating in the Searider but the deck is pretty narrow and the bow pointy so there isn’t much out there that will fit in.
I have seen an Avon 4.01 rib (search gumtree) and the seating layout looks good but it seems to have a pretty shallow v Hull (it also has no engine or trailer with it so I think it is over priced).
Old 02 January 2020, 21:06   #2

Town: Howth
Make: Avon
Could you upgrade to a triple jockey seat with an internal fuel tank?

Practically no competition for an sr4 in this size in my opinion, as you probably realise. Add to that that you already own and like the boat and that it’s a known entity, I’d look at changing the layout.
Old 02 January 2020, 21:19   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sandman, if you plan to keep the boat in the garage, then I think your options are limited. 4 boats come to mind as a possible solution. In no particular order...

First off, Ribcraft 4.8m. Normally available in single or double jockey configuration. I've seen a 3 seat version which was introduced last year. My one fits in a 18' garage with inches to spare. Come on the market occasionally. Great sea-keeping boat. Ditched the traditional A frame for a collapsible light pole. Some come with underdeck fuel tanks or twin portable tanks. I just added a Zodiac MilPro fuel tank, so now have 75 litres onboard.

Searider 4.7m. Now these things are uber scarce. All the attributes of a Searider which you want to keep, you just need to find one. Perfect with a Yamaha 70hp on the business end.

Ribquest 4.8m. Thought the Searider was scarce, try finding a second hand one of these. I was literally a stone's throw from buying new. Even visited them in Sheffield. Beautiful boat. Remortgage the house if you have to.

Searider 4.0m. A loyal following as you'd imagine. Perfect with 40-50hp engine. Lots of examples out there, just be wary of what you buy... it's a minefield in terms of condition.
Old 02 January 2020, 22:57   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Adventure 450 might give a bit more space depending on the layout seen one with double jockey and small bench I think looked nice some of the newer small tender/leisure ribs have interesting layouts high field do one around 4m and another one called the grand or something but will be very different to a sea rider

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...oat/1359550503

https://www.highfieldboats.com/dl-420/
Old 03 January 2020, 05:41   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
there's a lovely Humber 4.3 on ebay at the moment £8k but one owner mint and with a good outboard has double jockey but might take a bench rear seat.nothing to do with me but it struck me as a bit nice
Old 03 January 2020, 09:50   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Tiny Dancer
Make: Valiant
Engine: 50hp outboard
Thanks everyone. It’s very encouraging that a 4.8m rib can fit in a 18’ garage. My garage is about 6” shorter than that but a 4.5m rib might fit in if it is as fas forward on the trailer as possible.
I really like the look of that Avon Adventure 450. It seems to tick all my boxes so will keep my eye out for one of them for sale.
Does anyone have experience of the Avon 4.01 RIB?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...rd-/1362151045
Old 03 January 2020, 10:31   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Trailer is the limiting factor get the right boat and trailer to fit.

How To Install A Folding Swing Tongue - Trailering - BoatUS Magazine

US link but similar process and may mean budget a bit more for a new trailer or a modification. Have seen break neck trailers in the Uk
Old 03 January 2020, 13:22   #8

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Chasecraft
Make: Chasecraft
Engine: 40hp outboard
Hi Sandman I am selling a 4.2 metre RIB on gumtree, it might be something you are looking for. Here is the link
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ler/1361005585
Old 03 January 2020, 18:16   #9

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.dyton View Post
Hi Sandman I am selling a 4.2 metre RIB on gumtree, it might be something you are looking for. Here is the link
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ler/1361005585
how big was the hole in the tube that needed them patches on
Old 04 January 2020, 16:14   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I currently have a 4m Avon Searider deluxe with the back to back seating and bow dodger. It is a fantastic rib and handles choppy conditions with ease. The only problem I have with it is that there is not much in the way of usable deck space. By the time me, my wife and daughter are in the boat and with the fuel tank and wakeboard there isn’t much room left (none at all in fact).

Unfortunately I cannot go any bigger than 4m because I need to keep the boat in the 5.3m long garage. Are there any 4m ribs out there with a leisure seating layout that would suit my needs better? I have thought about changing the seating in the Searider but the deck is pretty narrow and the bow pointy so there isn’t much out there that will fit in.

I have seen an Avon 4.01 rib (search gumtree) and the seating layout looks good but it seems to have a pretty shallow v Hull (it also has no engine or trailer with it so I think it is over priced).

Given your storage limitations I think you’ll be hard pushed to find something better than what you’ve got at the moment. What do you actually need more space for? Any 4m boat is going to be a squeeze with people and gear onboard; realistically if you need more space you need a bigger boat (5.5m+) which it sounds like isn’t an option. The mighty searider packs a massive punch for its size and is built to last, hence the huge following and love for them. I’d recommend sticking with what you’ve got. I’ve owned probably 40+ RIBs and run goodness knows how many for both commercial work and for the last 7 years as tenders on large yachts. For the size I don’t think you get much better than an SR4.

Tags
rib