mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
And they are suposed to be out there protecting animals, jesus!! Animals
oh they are protecting the animals... did you not spot the Delta had wire prop gards on the motors, on the off chance the rib made it in to being driven they would not clip a whale. or any crew as it happens.
Old 02 May 2009, 07:15   #22

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Yeah pretty embarassing and now very public but who hasn't made a complete pig's ear out of a situation away from of the glare of publicity at some stage during their learning curve.

The reason that they are not very professional is because they are volunteers from every walk of life who have given up their time to venture down into the Antarctic for something that they are passionate about. If it weren't for them the Japanese would kill even more of these magnificent creatures. They claim 900 for "research purposes" every year.

Whilst running whale watching trips this year I have been privileged to spend some time in close proximity to just a few of the humpback whales that migrate along the WA coast and it can be a very moving and emotional experience when they come into your space. Each one is unique and has it's own personality.

There is currently no protection for them other than the weight of public opinion and the dedication of the Steve Irwin crew. The IWC is a complete sham, where the Japanese are able to buy the votes of enough tiny, tinpot countries to thwart the overwhelming abhorrence of the civilised world.

I attended a fundraiser for Sea Shepherd in Fremantle before the start of this year's campaign and Paul Watson comes across as a dedicated campaigner for marine conservation in all it's forms. Whilst some of the tactics don't appeal to everyone, I support his efforts wholeheartedly.

Rather than sneering from behind keyboards, it would be more constructive for people to offer their experience, assistance, training or cash in a positive way to make the Steve Irwin a more potent force against this heartless trade.
Old 02 May 2009, 09:53   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Rather than sneering from behind keyboards, it would be more constructive for people to offer their experience, assistance, training or cash in a positive way to make the Steve Irwin a more potent force against this heartless trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
....and it's to our collective shame (IMVHO) that they're the only people doing anything much about an activity that VERY few of us approve of...
So, a Ribnet campaign it is then. We may have to put a slight spin on it to encourage les autres.

1. As the whaling is apparently legal (very law-abiding on here ), and whaling is virtually fishing (very popular on here ), we'll "adopt a whale" each as pets. Cruelty to Pets is Verboten in the UK so this should drum up more volunteers/supporters

2. Start a rumour/rumor (codders) adding weight to the notion that the Japanese really ARE behind Ribeye. That's gonna get Team Viper on board.

3. Training seems to be a sore point. A Ribnet Sabs Virtual Training School could be started (new section pls Mr K.). This would keep the Safety Squad busy while the rest of us Just Get On With IT.

4. In Time of Crisis in far flung corners of the globe it is customary on here to seek the assistance of Mr. Tilley. Perhaps he could run us up a decoy whale? To be towed by swarms of SR4s!

5. Actually, that last has just given me a scary image: A vast Armada of Sea Riders, drivers adorned in either "Traditional Woad" or "Storm Trooper" PhaceSaves racing over the Southern Ocean after a rapidly retreating Japanese fleet.... oh dear, I have to stop now
Old 02 May 2009, 09:54   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Old 02 May 2009, 10:04   #25

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
I don't support whaling and have every sympathy for anti whaling protest but what these guys are doing is well out of order.
Anybody carrying on like this, good intentions or not, should be locked up before they hurt someone, whether it is the whalers or themselves.
The Southern Ocean is not a nice place to muck about in at the best of times.
Old 04 May 2009, 09:28   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

If you think I am going to send these guys a penny your nuts. I would rather give to Greenpeace who IMO have done a lot more for the cause.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 15:37   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Bittentobuggery - I support the motivation 100% behind what they guys are trying to do , but if I did what they did to a RIB with 3/4 people in it in UK waters I would be prosecuted very very quickly.

I wonder what qualification they all have ( as volunteers from all walks of life) ? compared to what is needed to even run a rib with crew in the UK/ US etc .

As has been said they should learn how to do what they do before risking lives ( which they clealry are from the clip / program ) of these ' innocent creatures' - again talking about the crew.

My money does go to organisations such as this , but I'd rather they use it to do the right thing & not to fight a lawsuit from the family of a volunteer they have killed by accident.

I am not a ' expert ' by any means so I wouldn't even try to launch a big rib from a bigger boat underway unless I had had A LOT of very good training !

I think that sums up my point ...........
Old 05 May 2009, 16:01   #28

Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 225
The main part of the problem seems to be the captain who appears to be mad. The crew seemed to have been brainwashed to believe that accidents like this are normal.

Four of the crew who complained about the rib incident have been thrown off the ship. The captain stating "I will not work with cowards"!

Not only was the accident avoidable but the following rescue attempt frankly disgusting. Even the doctor seems to have little pre-hospital training and the treatment for hypothermia very poor.

Did anyone see the "lifejackets" that were shown? They were all very old dingy style buoyancy aids!

Does a small single engine civilian helicopter seems a bit mad to be used at sea?
Old 05 May 2009, 16:53   #29
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
The main part of the problem seems to be the captain who appears to be mad. The crew seemed to have been brainwashed to believe that accidents like this are normal.

Four of the crew who complained about the rib incident have been thrown off the ship. The captain stating "I will not work with cowards"!

Not only was the accident avoidable but the following rescue attempt frankly disgusting. Even the doctor seems to have little pre-hospital training and the treatment for hypothermia very poor.

Did anyone see the "lifejackets" that were shown? They were all very old dingy style buoyancy aids!

Does a small single engine civilian helicopter seems a bit mad to be used at sea?
I remember seeing a documentary last year where a Greenpeace ship was hunting for the same whaling ship stayed away from the Sea Shepherd-even shunning contact attempts from the captain- for the same reason.They were too dangerous and too extreme.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 20:06   #30
RIBnet Supporter

I think we are missing the point here entirely.

These people are completely driven (but mental, granted). They don't need a Health & Safety Officer, and God knows they won't take your Wealth of Advice - but they will gratefully accept your money and I can't think of a better way to put the frighteners on the Japanese. (well, I can but Mr. K would vanish me forever )

Let's face it - you're not arguing over another entirely worthy but eminently forgettable Greenpeace Campaign. I stand to be corrected (no surprises there) but if I recall correctly, Greenpeace had to retire early last season and leave the S.I. to carry the fight to the Whalers?

So, in summary, if they want to get killed saving a few whales, I may just have to unscrew my wallet and pay my dues.
Old 05 May 2009, 20:39   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
I think we are missing the point here entirely.

These people are completely driven (but mental, granted). They don't need a Health & Safety Officer, and God knows they won't take your Wealth of Advice - but they will gratefully accept your money and I can't think of a better way to put the frighteners on the Japanese. (well, I can but Mr. K would vanish me forever )

Let's face it - you're not arguing over another entirely worthy but eminently forgettable Greenpeace Campaign. I stand to be corrected (no surprises there) but if I recall correctly, Greenpeace had to retire early last season and leave the S.I. to carry the fight to the Whalers?

So, in summary, if they want to get killed saving a few whales, I may just have to unscrew my wallet and pay my dues.
I kind of agree, but getting themselves killed in the process will only bring great sorrow to their families and do F' all for their cause. As I said these guys are well intentioned fools. Giving such people ships and fast boats in such conditions is lethal.
Old 05 May 2009, 20:56   #32

Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I kind of agree, but getting themselves killed in the process will only bring great sorrow to their families and do F' all for their cause. As I said these guys are well intentioned fools. Giving such people ships and fast boats in such conditions is lethal.
Overall I agree but the bridge crew etc.. have no excuse for not being fully trained and professional. I still think that the main problem is the captain who should know better.
Old 05 May 2009, 20:58   #33

Like many others here I have worked at sea, even within the Artic circle on various research ships.
The conditions and temperatures of the water here (and the southern ocean which is even worse due to the distances for rescue) mean I have no sympathy for these guys antics, well intentioned or not.
If I was on a ship and these guys turned up it would on the water cannon and using the harpoons on them.
After all I would reason, these guys are mental and its them or us!
Environmental protest is one thing but these guys are environ-mental cases.
These guys are so extreme and dangerous I am not surprised that even Greenpeace want nothing to do with them.
As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.........
Old 05 May 2009, 21:03   #34
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I kind of agree,
it was more fun before!
Quote:
but getting themselves killed in the process will only bring great sorrow to their families
Probably, but you know what some families are like...
Quote:
and do F' all for their cause.
Not so sure - Martyrs are all the rage right now
Quote:
As I said these guys are well intentioned fools.
Yes (ditto )
Quote:
Giving such people ships and fast boats in such conditions is lethal.
What is their safety record as regards yer actual death stuff compared to Greenpeace?
Old 05 May 2009, 21:09   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
If I was on a ship and these guys turned up it would on the water cannon and using the harpoons on them.
After all I would reason, these guys are mental and its them or us!
I think that you may be employing their logic now BruceB - such as it is. Not that I'm knocking it or you...
Old 05 May 2009, 21:10   #36

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
What is their safety record as regards yer actual death stuff compared to Greenpeace?
The French Secret Service possibly tilted the balance towards Greenpeace having the greater number of fatalities.
Old 05 May 2009, 21:18   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
The French Secret Service possibly tilted the balance towards Greenpeace having the greater number of fatalities.
Yes, I'd forgotten The Greatest French Naval Victory. Luckily they attacked when most of the crew were on shore leave, or things might have ended differently
Old 05 May 2009, 22:04   #38

The RIB incident was just incompetence and stupidity but have any of you seen the clip where they ram the whaler with the ship! Although this may just be incompetence as well but doesn't exactly help their case if it is
This is scary stuff and in the southern ocean too, not much room for fixing it if it it all goes pear shaped. As I have said before the whalers are not the good guys here but these protesters are just mental and really should be discouraged, at least the methods they employ......
Old 06 May 2009, 07:42   #39

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
The sea sheperd is the old PFV Westra, one of the old "Island Class" what a waste of a good ship.
When the ship was sold to these muppets they were looking for Officers and Engineers to deliver the ship, as they could not guarentee where she was going or the state of her certification / maintenance (after she had been laid up for 3 years) nobody volunteered to put their ticket on the line.
It also angers me to see theit hippy graffiti over the once lovely interior.

They even filled the forward compartments with concrete without doing any stability calculations and we heard they actualy rammed a Japanese fishing vessel whith total disreguard to human life and left the fishing vessel with a rather large hole in her side in the middle of the pacific.

Its also sad to see the death of the Delta as people that I know that used her said the Delta was a fantastic boat.

Ship was traveling far too fast and they were not controlling the painter.
Our old procedures were that the boat was to be launched then crew were to embarc via a boarding ladder.

Total Muppets the lot of them and they deserve everything they get, anyway im away before I start swearing and realy ranting

Graeme
Old 12 May 2009, 07:14   #40
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Oh they where at it once more last night…

Lunched Delta, with out flipping it (showing off now) in the South Atlantic and headed off for a whiling ship. With a hand held VHF

Best giggle was the guy calling them from the chopper, he was over head in said chopper while they where sat on a rib with two old school 2 smokes at full chat while the crew had balaclavas on…

And they did not seam to know why the RIB could not hear the radio.

Aye we are all experts while sat on the sofa with a chilled beer to hand... BUT I cant wait till next Mondays show.

Carry on Whale Wars