Old 29 July 2012, 18:56   #1

Town: Guildford
Boat name: Mash III
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 200HP Suzukis
Weymouth Olympics - Collecting guests and keeping them dry!

Hi All

I'm very new to Ribs/Boats so please don't bite me for asking such a silly question. I've had a 9m Ribcraft for a few months now which I keep in Portsmouth. I have a mooring in Weymouth for next week and was thinking about taking the boat down there and using it.

The Olympic pack tells me all about where I can pick friends up etc once I'm down there, but only for in Weymouth. Figure getting in/out of Weymouth is going to be utter chaos, so looking for somewhere else where friends could got on/off the boat on some form of jetty so I don't need to beach it and/or make them swim! I'd prefer some places East of Weymouth - thought about Lulworth Cove, but sounds like that's a private jetty. So my questions (Inc a few others are!)

1) Does anyone know if the Lulworth Cove jetty guy will allow the odd quick drop/off pick up?
2) Anyone know of anywhere else!
3) Any good easy access Fuel Jettys on the way to Weymouth (Poole/Swanage?)
4) Anyone know how long the trip will take to get there assuming decent weather. I read somewhere it was about 55NM, so I figure a couple of hours at around a 30Kt cruise (2 x 200HP Suzuki's). Good fuel economy speed to cruise it.

I'm clearly very green! Many thanks in advance to all!

Matt
Old 29 July 2012, 18:59   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_matt View Post
Does anyone know if the Lulworth Cove jetty guy will allow the odd quick drop/off pick up?
Old 29 July 2012, 19:01   #3
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
http://www.rib.net/forum/f30/the-lul...boy-19179.html
Old 29 July 2012, 19:53   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Wrong direction, but West Bay (Bridport) has a great launch & pontoons. It's about 20nm from west bay to Weymouth, but you have to round Portland which can be interesting.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 13:28   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_matt View Post
4) Anyone know how long the trip will take to get there assuming decent weather. I read somewhere it was about 55NM, so I figure a couple of hours at around a 30Kt cruise (2 x 200HP Suzuki's). Good fuel economy speed to cruise it.
I know you have acknowledged you are a noob - but can I suggest:

(a) Get the charts out, study them, work out the route and distance, get to know where the hazards are, alternative ports if you have a problem etc. Then you will know how far it is not have read it somewhere.
(b) Oh, and at a quick glance 55NM might be a little optimistic.
(c) Your maths/logic is correct (assuming the distance is right), but if you need to ask are you sure you are ready for an open sea passage of 60 miles, in potentially some of the busiest seas in the country (during the olympics).
(d) Take a look at boat launch it might provide some useful info on both local marinas and fuel points. Either weymouth itself will be better because it is very organised though or you'd be better going much further away as I'd assume all the next-nearest ports will suffer from the 'overspill' issue.
Old 30 July 2012, 14:01   #6

Length: 7m +
Fuel

In Poole Harbour
Floating Fuel Berth In Harbour - bus some people reported having multiple incidents of contaimination so might be worth avoiding.
Salterns Marina - Are you rich ? If not then avoid !
Parkestone Bay Marina - OK but not sure of access at some low tide times
Cobbs Quay Marina - Ok price wise and good access, nice trip through two lifting bridges and not an issue in a rib as you can go straight through.

Poole to Weymouth time, depends as always on weather conditions, if rougth it could take 2 or more hours, if flat then depends how fast you want to travel (if going from Poole direction you would need to watch out for overfalls off old harry, off swanage bay, and off st aldhems head (at st aldhems head either go miles out to avoid or if careful go very close to cliffs wher there is a narrow passage of calmer water but local knowledge would be useful)

Lulworth cove, I very much doubt they would let you use the pontoon, however if youve got a 9M rib then perhaps buy a small tender and take with you for picking people up. You could also pick people up from Chapmans pool or warbarrow bay. (need to check if any army firing exercises going on in the lulworth ranges (or you have to go out about 6 or 8 miles) I think they have now stopped using teh ranges for the summer.
Old 30 July 2012, 14:40   #7

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
The Fuel barge in Poole harbour is Closed and Has been for some time !!
Old 30 July 2012, 14:42   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Fuel

In Poole Harbour
Floating Fuel Berth In Harbour - but some people reported having multiple incidents of contaimination so might be worth avoiding.
Its gone ! Was removed and I heard the barge has been scrapped about 6 weeks ago (ish) .....end of an era - complete lack of H&S - but very atmospheric ( or was that the tanks leaking ? )