Old 17 December 2021, 10:50   #1

Town: Ipswich
Length: 6m +
Wet and forget algae remover

Hi all

I left my RIB in for longer than I should have done, and the GRP and tubes are now heavily fouled. Tried a pressure washer. Tried a bigger pressure washer with TFR. Most of big stuff has gone but it’s still a mess. Has anyone tried ‘wet and forget algae remover’? Saw it on Amazon and thought I might try. Happy to invest in tools etc if that’s what’s needed, but scared about damaging thr GRP / hypalon.

Thoughts welcome

Paul
Old 17 December 2021, 13:46   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Boy View Post
Hi all

I left my RIB in for longer than I should have done, and the GRP and tubes are now heavily fouled. Tried a pressure washer. Tried a bigger pressure washer with TFR. Most of big stuff has gone but it’s still a mess. Has anyone tried ‘wet and forget algae remover’? Saw it on Amazon and thought I might try. Happy to invest in tools etc if that’s what’s needed, but scared about damaging thr GRP / hypalon.

Thoughts welcome

Paul
TFR is alkaline, good for removing algae but not barnacles.

Easy fix though. Been discussed before. See:
Barnacles on a RIB for sale

Dissolve with brick acid and/or Oxalic acid (latter optionally thickened with wallpaper paste), keep it away from a galvanised trailer chassis. Harmless to the tubes but will eat zinc as fast as the barnacles.
Old 17 December 2021, 14:08   #3

Thanks for this. I did see the Oxalyic acid approach - bit worried about the trailer it’s on but I can cover it up I guess.

Will give it a go!
Old 17 December 2021, 15:31   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Thanks for this. I did see the Oxalyic acid approach - bit worried about the trailer it’s on but I can cover it up I guess.

Will give it a go!
If you've a big enough lawn you can dry launch it or else block it up and remove the trailer. Also discussed before with pics.
Old 17 December 2021, 16:34   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Hi all

Thoughts welcome

Paul
Done my fence panels with wet and forget great job but it does say it can take sometime to work
Old 19 December 2021, 21:30   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I don't think Wet & Forget would be particularly suitable or cost effective at removing algee from GRP and/or hypalon.
The way it is suppose to work, is to penetrate the surface which it has been applied to ie: wood, concrete, brick and slowly eradicate the algee over a period of time when it rains and reactivates.
I use it regularly on driveways and paths. It's a good product which works well.
Old 20 December 2021, 14:48   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-...c=1&th=1&psc=1

There’s different stuff in the range that might work
Old 20 December 2021, 15:43   #8

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
I have been using wet and forget on our house and fence and stuff for years and it works great. I was doing some research and found out it can be used on vinyl seats for boats.

So I tried it on my white vinyl seat this past spring. It didn't seem to do any better at removing mold as any other product. It really does take a long time to remove the mold on the house so it probably washes off the boat seat too quickly.

I am going to try it again this spring but use it earlier and let it do it's job for a month before actually using the boat.
Old 20 December 2021, 15:50   #9

Thanks for these replies. I’ve got some stuff to try so will give it a spray, leave it for a couple weeks and see what it’s like. Will do before and after photos to post, assuming they aren’t identical.

Paul