Old 13 September 2016, 09:39   #41

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Looks like somewhere on Lismore it is. Will be stopping for around 4 days, so need to find somewhere with good sheltered anchorage, got the charts for the area, but if anyone has any pointers on routes and areas to avoid, tide race etc then i'm all ears :-)

Fingers crossed for some good weather, thinking we may need a back-up plan if the weather is too rough to get out.

Cheers

Tom
Old 19 September 2016, 09:14   #42

Town: Newburgh
Length: no boat
isailor is another good app, there is the in app purchase for West of Scotland at £24.99 but includes updates.
Old 21 September 2016, 18:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhud View Post
isailor is another good app, there is the in app purchase for West of Scotland at £24.99 but includes updates.
Cheers i'll take a look, i was looking at the one Pikey Dave recommended for the PC, but as my maps are integrated into the HDS7 i dont think i can use it......unless i buy the maps separately.
Old 21 September 2016, 21:34   #44

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
For PC I use CPM86....FREE SW and charts, and for very, very detailed charts of most of the natural anchorages on west coast of Scotland I flip over to Antares...(around £15 for about 300 charts). Panasonic Tough Book on board.
I've go MX Mariner on my phone and tablet....ok and pretty cheap, certainly a lot less than £25.
Humminbird Helix 7 running Navionics Gold...expensive and nowhere near as good as Antares for detail.
Old 18 October 2016, 12:37   #45

Quick update, fantastic time on Linnhe so thank you for the recommendation. Launched out of Linnhe Marina who were fantastic. Great pub 10mins up the road called the Old Inn I think, food and beer was great. Did a trip around Lissmore, down to Mull one day and up to Fort William for lunch another day.

We were even lucky enough to have dolphins with us on the first day and plenty of seals.

Few of the guys even braved the 12degree water to get on the Ringo.

Fuel easily available in appin, few mins drive from Linnhe marina (although a little more expensive aboit 10p more per litre than tesco, but again great friendly service, nice and convenient and ofcourse supporting the local businesses).

PS for anyone contemplating a helmet or a drysuit, I couldn't recommend them more. Warm and bone dry and still able to feel my face when it's was absolutely belting it down, the outlay to buy them felt totally worth while by the end of the week.

Cheers

Tom
Old 18 October 2016, 12:40   #46

Few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476794318191.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	116699   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476794368341.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	116700   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476794400565.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	116701   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476794431255.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	116702  
Old 18 October 2016, 13:17   #47

never tried the gecko thing but fail to see the point of it, maybe one of those things need to try to appreciate it?. just seems expensive and a PITA to store when not in use when a waterproof face mask will roll up into your pocket and 10% the cost of a gecko.

what are the benefits over a balaclava or the like for normal use?

if you were in danger of smashing face against something then it is a no brainer and i assume why the pros use them.
Old 18 October 2016, 13:18   #48

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_20000 View Post
Quick update, fantastic time on Linnhe so thank you for the recommendation. Launched out of Linnhe Marina who were fantastic. Great pub 10mins up the road called the Old Inn I think, food and beer was great. Did a trip around Lissmore, down to Mull one day and up to Fort William for lunch another day.

We were even lucky enough to have dolphins with us on the first day and plenty of seals.

Few of the guys even braved the 12degree water to get on the Ringo.

Fuel easily available in appin, few mins drive from Linnhe marina (although a little more expensive aboit 10p more per litre than tesco, but again great friendly service, nice and convenient and ofcourse supporting the local businesses).

PS for anyone contemplating a helmet or a drysuit, I couldn't recommend them more. Warm and bone dry and still able to feel my face when it's was absolutely belting it down, the outlay to buy them felt totally worth while by the end of the week.

Cheers

Tom
Nice ! Great photos of one of the best places in the UK IMHO
Old 18 October 2016, 13:29   #49

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
never tried the gecko thing but fail to see the point of it, maybe one of those things need to try to appreciate it?. just seems expensive and a PITA to store when not in use when a waterproof face mask will roll up into your pocket and 10% the cost of a gecko.

if you were in danger of smashing face against something then it is a no brainer and i assume why the pros use them.
I thought exactly the same as you until I got caught out in a hail storm coming out of Oban heading towards Easdale last year ,😕 it came from nowhere and stop me in my track's. Luckily I had some goggles and a surfers neoprene balaclava which helped a little bit....., since then I got a Gecko......lesson learnt 😣👍
Old 18 October 2016, 13:49   #50

Quote:

Tbf I've used a balaclava and goggles for ages and never had an issue (except for hail).

I was sceptical about the cost vs benefit. Bit im far from a fine weather "ribber" and the boat probably gets more use in the winter months as opposed to summer.

It's nice to have the reassurance I should hurt myself less if I land wrong, but ultimately i can only describe it as "nice" lol. If the weathers crap, it's not a relentless experience and it blocks the wind almost 100%. Far from a necessity for most, but a good value luxury IMO.

Only gripe is comms are difficult with them on, so I'm looking at an intercom. But tbf with the engineni have ATM, you can't hear each other a 3.5k revs anyway, helmet or not.
Old 18 October 2016, 14:21   #51

Value is obviously something only the buyer can decide on, if I ever try one then I'll let you know but no plans just now to stump up for some....... Suspension seats though......
Old 18 October 2016, 14:34   #52

Quote:
Value is obviously something only the buyer can decide on, if I ever try one then I'll let you know but no plans just now to stump up for some....... Suspension seats though......
Only when I've got a couple of £££££ spare lol. But they would be amazing, contemplated making some......
Old 18 October 2016, 14:40   #53

I am sure they could be made with the right tools and design knowledge, I have neither so stumping up is only option.
Old 18 October 2016, 15:14   #54

Rain or hail........balaclava hood &

UCI Kara Sealed Safety Goggle With Shield Set - Clear Lens - Eye Protection | eBay

These are better than the Bolle ones that cost three times the price. (I have both)
Old 18 October 2016, 15:24   #55

I now pronounce that the ghetto mask, keep yer geckos
Old 18 October 2016, 16:05   #56

RIBase
Quote:
some....... Suspension seats though......
If you can afford suspension seats then you can afford to get a feckin Gecko helmet........😉👍
Old 18 October 2016, 16:35   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
If you can afford suspension seats then you can afford to get a feckin Gecko helmet........😉👍
But if you can only afford folding Aldi canvas chairs you can still afford "Ghetto masks"
Old 18 October 2016, 17:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
If you can afford suspension seats then you can afford to get a feckin Gecko helmet........����
Yes I could afford them but fail to see the point of them currently, hence my asking.

Ghetto mask, the future.
Old 18 October 2016, 17:16   #59

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
But if you can only afford folding Aldi canvas chairs you can still afford "Ghetto masks"
I guess that times must be hard in the Medical Physics profession then 😂😉👍
Old 18 October 2016, 17:31   #60
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Xk59D, I shared your gecko cynicism. a fine smir one day on the willk craft persuaded me there was some merit, but it doesn't really take any spray so I remained unconvinced until I stumbled on four here going cheap that happened to have the right mix of sizes for our bonces.

Mrs P was most cynical (whilst not a fashionista she certainly has no desire to look like a wannabe rnli guy, and she leaves no doubt about her nationality when getting her purse out!) . They were however a resounding hit at Easdale, and on subsequent trips. On a calm trip to jura I didn't bother with them and got abuse when it was a bit lumpy in the middle. Now described by her as the best boat purchase I've made!