Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
West of Scotland - Petrol sources accessible by boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Lugging petrol from garages is just not my idea of fun.
That's one that's been ambling round my mind for a while, but it strikes me that although the chances of getting "on pontoon" petrol are quite slim, would a database of waypoints of "shoreside garages" - i.e petrol stations a matter of tens of yards form the shore rather than hundreds - be an idea? One I can think of as a prme example that doesn't show up on any "Petrol Station" POI files I've found is the one at North Ballachulish, a mere 10 yard scramble up the bank ( http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=761052&lm=0 ). Another in Lochgilphead, but only of use at High tide....... Mind you, there's not a lot of petrol stations shown north of the M8 on most of these POI "resources"

With our combined local knowledge, I suspect a suitable POI / Waypoint file could be put together to help West Coast visitors.

I realise this could become a whole thread on it's own, so if the admin bods want to move it to a new thread, please do.
Old 14 January 2010, 12:06   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
That's one that's been ambling round my mind for a while, but it strikes me that although the chances of getting "on pontoon" petrol are quite slim, would a database of waypoints of "shoreside garages" - i.e petrol stations a matter of tens of yards form the shore rather than hundreds - be an idea? One I can think of as a prme example that doesn't show up on any "Petrol Station" POI files I've found is the one at North Ballachulish, a mere 10 yard scramble up the bank ( http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=761052&lm=0 ). Another in Lochgilphead, but only of use at High tide....... Mind you, there's not a lot of petrol stations shown north of the M8 on most of these POI "resources"

With our combined local knowledge, I suspect a suitable POI / Waypoint file could be put together to help West Coast visitors.

I realise this could become a whole thread on it's own, so if the admin bods want to move it to a new thread, please do.
9d280 - not a bad idea at all - I wonder if this can be included in the Boatlaunch site. I'll PM geoff and draw his attention to your post.
Old 14 January 2010, 13:05   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Petrol station in Tobermory is right beside the new pontoons. There is also a petrol station in Arinagour on the Isle of Coll which is only a short walk from the pier - just be prepared for high prices and the owner was charging a fiver up front to leave her house and walk the 5 yards to the pumps at one point!
Old 14 January 2010, 13:20   #4

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Great idea, but ? already been done to an extent, try this link.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-pr...-stations.html
Old 14 January 2010, 13:33   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Great idea as one who does nearly all my boating on the west I support anything that will assist fellow boaters especially visitors. As Puffin says the main ones are already on the site he posted I just wonder how we could better it?
John could we have a dedicated section within ' cruising' for each area where the locals could feed up to date info for all to read as required?

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 13:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Great idea, but ? already been done to an extent, try this link.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-pr...-stations.html
Doesn't contain all the info you'd really want though. Tell's you there is a filling station but gives you no real idea of how easy it is to get to from the sea. E.g. where is the nearest beach, pontoon etc. Is 50 yds up a nice path that you could wheel a trolley along or do you need to climb a couple of fences!

I notice that the petrol station at tighnabruich/kames is missing from their list - easily accesible from the sea.
Old 14 January 2010, 14:43   #7

Pol - Exactly. There are stations I know exist don't show up on any databases, (and believe me, Ive spent some bored nights looking) At best you need to spend hours pulling every POI file, opening it, etc to find that it's not there.

Based on that, there must also be ones out there not "on t'net" which people know of.

I think (and this is just a proposal) what we need is a File (whether POI, ".GPX", both, or even other formats that can be downloaded to stuff into your plotter. File could include Location - (possibly location of nearest pier if applicable), and notes regarding access as a minimum. Opening times could also be useful, however they are subject to change, so maybe not such a good idea to add them to something that might give you a nasty surprise one Sunday evening three years later.......

We really have properly hijacked the original thread now!
Old 14 January 2010, 15:44   #8

RIBase
9D280
just in case you read other posts. I do not think it needs to be as elaborate as d/loaded to plotter even just a hard copy database that people can download as req. It can be diveded into districts and the locals on the forum can keep it up to date as needed. Start simple better chance of achieving a worthwhile goal.
JU
Old 14 January 2010, 15:50   #9

Jambo,

Absolutely, but I was thinking along the lines of if you're goijg to save it in, say, Excel or Word, why not use a GPS friendly format & save a lot of button pushing later to get the info into your favourite navigation system?

Granted I'm at the bottom end of the GPS scale at the momet, but If I put a waypoint in manually it can take upwards of 10 mins by the time I scroll through the entire alphabet for every letter / number...... Suffice to say EasyGPS was the best free download I've ever clicked on!

But yeah, even just a text list would be good!
Old 14 January 2010, 16:10   #10
RIBnet admin team

9d280 / Jambo - i'll tidy this up and move it into a new thread this evening. Does Boatlaunch let you download the slipway locations in a plotter friendly format at all? The advantage being it is user updatable etc - whereas any thread is going to become unwieldy?
Old 14 January 2010, 16:47   #11

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Does Boatlaunch let you download the slipway locations in a plotter friendly format at all? The advantage being it is user updatable etc - whereas any thread is going to become unwieldy?
It does indeed:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/Download.aspx

There are free tools available for conversion to various other formats, for example:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...ownload&cid=56

Cheers

Chris
Old 14 January 2010, 17:09   #12

RIBase
Sounds good guys. Anything we can do can only benefit everyone. Pol agree should be on new thread.
Cheers
J
Old 14 January 2010, 18:19   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Sounds good guys. Anything we can do can only benefit everyone. Pol agree should be on new thread.
Cheers
J
But that would mean an Admin actually doing work ................

Old 14 January 2010, 19:37   #14
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Google Maps - have the ability to add locations in "my maps" and share and collaborate....

Not played about with the feature but if needs must...

S.
Old 14 January 2010, 19:41   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Google Maps - have the ability to add locations in "my maps" and share and collaborate....

Not played about with the feature but if needs must...

S.
Scott - essentially that is what Boatlaunch is - i've PM'd geoff who runs it - seems daft to reinvent the wheel.
Old 14 January 2010, 19:51   #16

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Orca
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Mariner
Send a message via MSN to Julie
essentially that is what Boatlaunch is - i've PM'd geoff who runs it - seems daft to reinvent the wheel. [/QUOTE]

Really good idea to get another 'item' in the slipway information, on boatlaunch, about the nearest garage. Personally I use that site a lot when going new places.....Beats taking up room with extra tanks

p.s. the Ullapool one is right by the slipway too...

As I've just mentioned Boatlaunch in a post about 10 mins ago, maybe everyone should take a pic of the next few slipways they use and get them uploaded.

Julie
Old 14 January 2010, 19:57   #17
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Yeap, i know boatlaunch is Google based, but the thread was talking about excel lists etc, so it was worth mentioning that "we" could do it ourself if one chooses.....but least hassle is boatlaunch.

On side note: if anybody needs petrol at Elie on the Firth of Forth, let me know in advance and we sort you out. Petrol stations in Fife are thin on ground, esp. in East Neuk.

Nearest petrol station is miles away!

S.