Old 09 August 2019, 18:58   #81

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
It's getting to that time on year for there Xmas funds to start [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 10 August 2019, 23:06   #82

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Yesterday we launched late due to the wind and rain. Left Linnhe around 16.00 to a reasonable chop. Today we saw the weather around Coll over the next few days may be questionable so insead of our planned route, we headed down Linnhe, into a loch on the south of Mull, Easdale for lunch, abandoned slate quarrys and then back up through Oban for another night on Linnhe. The weather crossing the south of the sound of Mull was rough, but no where near as bad as the trip back from Easdale to Appin with a Northerly. Drenched and a gooood swell!

Great day, drying out now by the fire [emoji16]
Old 11 August 2019, 21:55   #83

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_20000 View Post
Yesterday we launched late due to the wind and rain. Left Linnhe around 16.00 to a reasonable chop. Today we saw the weather around Coll over the next few days may be questionable so insead of our planned route, we headed down Linnhe, into a loch on the south of Mull, Easdale for lunch, abandoned slate quarrys and then back up through Oban for another night on Linnhe. The weather crossing the south of the sound of Mull was rough, but no where near as bad as the trip back from Easdale to Appin with a Northerly. Drenched and a gooood swell!

Great day, drying out now by the fire [emoji16]
Yeh.

We took a run up to Tobermory but the weather was pretty miserable.
Tomorrow looks better so the plan at the minute is Eigg and maybe Canna.
Old 11 August 2019, 22:28   #84

Snap, we're hoping to set off from Linnhe for Eigg/Canna c.10am weather pending.

We took a run upto fortwilliam today, swells around the northern tip of lismore but then it flatter out and the run back was like a mill pond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Yeh.

We took a run up to Tobermory but the weather was pretty miserable.
Tomorrow looks better so the plan at the minute is Eigg and maybe Canna.
Old 14 August 2019, 11:04   #85

Hey all, Breezy/Tango good to meet you both on Eigg, was great to meet some fellow members. We had a lovely night on the beach and then got up very early (5am) the next day to catch to tide to Mallaig. We were meant to be up around Skye for the next 3 days and then down to Tobermory on Sat for a hotel night. Weather from late Thursday early Friday onwards looks pretty rough so we're planning to leave the Malaig area tomorrow afternoon and head back down into the Sound of Mull for shelter before picking up our mooring on Sat.

Does anyone have any recommended camp spots around Tobermory area for the next few nights? Probably Mull side of the channel as the wind looks to be gusting pretty hard.

Think I saw some places around the little island just off Tobermory, need to investigate more later.

Cheers all, Tom!

P.s still no whales or dolphins yet, but fingers crossed!
Old 14 August 2019, 11:51   #86

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:

Does anyone have any recommended camp spots around Tobermory area for the next few nights? Probably Mull side of the channel as the wind looks to be gusting pretty hard.

Think I saw some places around the little island just off Tobermory, need to investigate more later.

Cheers all, Tom!
Loch Sunart, off the top of the Sound of Mull, part way down on the left there is a camp site at Resipol and it has moorings too.

There's various wild camping opportunities around Loch Sunart.
Old 14 August 2019, 21:55   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post

<<<There's various wild camping opportunities around Loch Sunart.>>>
Loch Teacus...Bit of rock dodging but very sheltered and very quiet....
Old 16 August 2019, 15:54   #88

Cheers for the suggestions, we got battered on the crossing from Inverie to Mull taking just over 2 hrs, ended up cheating and getting a BnB in Tobermory to dry off. Boat handled it fine and no issues, but it was hard work and not conditions id choose to go out it again in a hurry.

We waited for the best weather window and tide to turn so the wind would hopefully flatten things a little but it was still far from good.

Will hopefully get out again before we need to head back home.
Old 16 August 2019, 21:18   #89

Quote:
Cheers for the suggestions, we got battered on the crossing from Inverie to Mull taking just over 2 hrs, ended up cheating and getting a BnB in Tobermory to dry off. Boat handled it fine and no issues, but it was hard work and not conditions id choose to go out it again in a hurry.

We waited for the best weather window and tide to turn so the wind would hopefully flatten things a little but it was still far from good.

Will hopefully get out again before we need to head back home.
We went for a local run down towards Easdale but turned back. Pretty brutal so we just messed about round Kerrera and the south end of Lismore.

I'd imagine Ardnamurchan would have been grim but at least tomorrow the wind's from the SW so the Sound of Mull shouldn't be to bad.

Lochaline is worth a visit on the way back.....good pontoons and a couple of eating places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter on Lismore.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	130515  
Old 17 August 2019, 08:15   #90

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It is looking pretty breezy for the next few days plus it's springs at the moment which doesn't help.
Old 17 August 2019, 18:32   #91

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
We went for a local run down towards Easdale but turned back. Pretty brutal so we just messed about round Kerrera and the south end of Lismore.

I'd imagine Ardnamurchan would have been grim but at least tomorrow the wind's from the SW so the Sound of Mull shouldn't be to bad.

Lochaline is worth a visit on the way back.....good pontoons and a couple of eating places.
I knew it was bad when we seen the bow thruster on that yacht we passed
Old 18 August 2019, 16:01   #92

A short video of our trip to Eigg on 12th Aug........

Old 20 March 2021, 21:33   #93

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150

looks like this fell off the shelf, or am i missing something ? really enjoyed reading that.......

hope it all went well.
Old 20 March 2021, 21:51   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
looks like this fell off the shelf, or am i missing something ? really enjoyed reading that.......

hope it all went well.
It was a fantastic trip, thought i'd done a write up but apparently not! Met a couple of members out on Eigg too which was great. I'll put some time aside to write it up properly, the spots recommended were fantastic, and really thank all who inputted.

We had some really bad weather though and had to re-plan much of the route on the fly. Never made it around the other side of Mull or Skye, but did get up the sound and mull and as far as Inverie. I remember we enjoyed some beers bought from the village shop with the locals down at the village "table". I remember it pouring it down with rain, they had a fire pit whilst everyone boycotted the pub! Then some locals took us back to the campsite about 1 in the morning in their Defender after we had a lock in at one of the restaurants.

We had plenty of dolphins, explored the old Tin mine on one of the islands, visited various beaches and villages.

It was the trip of a lifetime, finished off by the roughest seas I've ever been in when heading back from Inverie to Tobermory. We timed the crossing the best we could. There was a heavy storm forecast the next day lasting 3-4 days so we wanted to try get back down towards Lismore. It was 2hrs of big seas, breaking crests and high winds. Heading up to Ardnamurchan point was a steep head sea and then trying to swing back around the point towards Tobermory into the following sea I'll never forget.

We made it back in March last year following another 6 months of planning, and then lockdown hit, so we ended up heading back to port and driving back home.

I've since sold my Rib, albeit temporarily until I can save enough for what I want next. Planning on mooring the next one on the west coast throughout the season and travelling up to use it instead, by far the most interesting area to boat.

Cheers
Old 22 April 2021, 15:42   #95

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150

sounds like a really good trip,especially the beer fest !
a really good family friend used to keep a yacht on Loch Feachan, about 5 miles south of Oban.... well sheltered marine and well ran.... reasonable prices to.

i'm up with a dive crew on may 14th.... see how we get on with local restrictions.