Old 18 September 2015, 12:34   #1

Town: Telford
Make: Ribeye s650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200
West coast advise please

Hello, After some convincing the wife has granted me a week away next year to sample some of the west coast of Scotland

A friend and myself plan to tow the rib (6mt) up and spend 7 days on the water. Since reading about "The Gurnards" adventures this is something I must see and do. We plan to come up in May next year, flexible on dates and waiting for the best weather window, Launch perhaps at Oban and spend 6 nights touring. The plan is to spend 2 nights in Hotel/B&B and 4 nights wild camping.

Ideally would like to stay 1 night at Port Askaig hotel (fond memories) and the other hotel stop perhaps at Tobermory with camping in between and either side of hotels. I believe I can get fuel at both Port Askaig and Tobermory.

I'm looking for advise on the following:

When camping we plan to anchor or beach the rib using the tides and would like advise/recommendations on good beaches/sheltered bays where this is possible.

With 7 days what do you think is achievable in distance area to cover/Islands to visit of course weather dependant.

Best area to launch from and store car/trailer for a week.

Lastly any advise on kit or anything else from anyone that's done this themselves.

Thanks
Old 18 September 2015, 13:13   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Worth considering the Easdale Rib Rendevous as a start to your trip? Or I think Doug runs a week long trip where lots of boats cruise together. That said I completely understand the adventure and fun can be even more doing these things on your own.
Old 18 September 2015, 13:56   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekindave View Post
Hello, After some convincing the wife has granted me a week away next year to sample some of the west coast of Scotland

A friend and myself plan to tow the rib (6mt) up and spend 7 days on the water. Since reading about "The Gurnards" adventures this is something I must see and do. We plan to come up in May next year, flexible on dates and waiting for the best weather window, Launch perhaps at Oban and spend 6 nights touring. The plan is to spend 2 nights in Hotel/B&B and 4 nights wild camping.

Ideally would like to stay 1 night at Port Askaig hotel (fond memories) and the other hotel stop perhaps at Tobermory with camping in between and either side of hotels. I believe I can get fuel at both Port Askaig and Tobermory.

I'm looking for advise on the following:

When camping we plan to anchor or beach the rib using the tides and would like advise/recommendations on good beaches/sheltered bays where this is possible.

With 7 days what do you think is achievable in distance area to cover/Islands to visit of course weather dependant.

Best area to launch from and store car/trailer for a week.

Lastly any advise on kit or anything else from anyone that's done this themselves.

Thanks
Round Mull is a good trip...Taking in Tobermory ( short walk got Petrol & good Fish & Chips in the Pub) Iona and Staffa All doable in a longish day if the weathers ok...or you can break it up..Puffin Dive centre is another Petrol stop (but you'll pay a premium)
You must do the Corrie and the Grey Dogs if you're up that way
Easdale is good for a refreshment stop...as is Crinnan..and Croabh Haven.
Try and take in the Sea food stall on Oban Pier...far end!
There are loads of beaches and sheltered spots,but all choices depend on the prevailing weather/time size of tides ect at the time..that's where the SIB boys win out..are you taking a Tender?..it will give you more options.
It's a great place and if you have any sort of decent weather you'll be Hooked!
Have a good one!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 16:04   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yes i second what both Poly and maximus have said you can have a great time in 'The West ' if you get the wx window but sometimes if you wait for the ultimate wx you'll never venture out!
What ever you do please do plenty of planning and get yourself the cruising books for the area so that you are familar with the tides and surges that are about.
Enjoy and be safe
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 22:21   #5

Thanks for the advice.
Poly yes the security of a group cruising is appealing but as you said the sense of adventure of doing it alone is attractive.
Jambo I hear you, planning is key! We're starting now hoping to make it as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Maximus, thanks for your input. I know it will be testing in a rib compared to the sib boys. Don't really want to take a Tender as firstly I don't have one and secondly space is an issue with all the other kit we'll have to carry on a 6mt rib. Planning on anchoring overnight or using tide and sandy beach letting boat dry out overnight?
I turn 40 next year and rather than a weekend in Amsterdam with the Lads I am determined to do something more memorable! It's the early stages of planning for the trip and I appreciate all the help and knowledge you lot have.
Old 18 September 2015, 22:29   #6

easdale rib rendezvous, that is really all you need :-)

cruise in company for 2/3 days then do your own thing rest of week if you like.
Old 19 September 2015, 10:21   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
easdale rib rendezvous, that is really all you need :-)

cruise in company for 2/3 days then do your own thing rest of week if you like.
Agree with Xk59D we go for two weeks and then do our own thing talk to tony at seafari loads of tips off him
Old 20 September 2015, 10:39   #8

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Where ever you end up you will love it ;-)

Always somewhere to "hide" if the weather blows and usually we can have 4 seasons in a day. Fuel will always be an issue in the west so a good plan for filling and a couple of spare cans on board are essential ;-)
Andy
Old 21 September 2015, 16:14   #9

Thanks for all your replies.

I have taken your advice and will be coming up for the Easdale rib rendezvous then doing our own thing for the rest of the week.

Just booked b&b in Easdale for 3 nights, roll on April
Old 21 September 2015, 16:32   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekindave View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I have taken your advice and will be coming up for the Easdale rib rendezvous then doing our own thing for the rest of the week.

Just booked b&b in Easdale for 3 nights, roll on April

Great, look forward to meeting you in April.
Cheers
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2015, 18:56   #11

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Hi
I did exactly what you are thinking about in early July this year. Drove from Cornwall to Port Appin (Linnhe Marina) then headed past Tobermory, round the top of Mull and from there it is a very short trip to the Isle of Coll & Tiree. Spent a glorious week in and around the islands. Wild camping every night except one when a storm was due to blow in and we checked into the excelent Coll Hotel, which wasnt that much more expensive than the Coll Bunkhouse 100 yds away. The Fisherman there let us moor upto the quay so had plenty of shelter too.

Camping was fantastic, we got really fussy about our sites, wanting a very sheltered bay to anchor in, with a lovely sandy beach, and just at the end of the beach a grassy knoll to pitch our tent on. Its quite a demanding criteria, but every campsite came upto scratch, the like of which is very hard to find down here in the southwest. I can give you some co-ordinates if you want, but look on google earth and you will see some wonderful beaches on the islands. We would often moor the rib 1 hr before HW the it would dry out overnight on the soft sand and be ready for us the next morning.

Of course we kept a wary eye on the weather forecast so we never got stuck on a lee shore but ended up moving round the islands finding these campsite beatifully sheltered till the wind moved, the we would shift campsite.

One of the best sites was on the very NE tip of Coll looking directly at the tiny island of Eilean Mor. From our grassy pitch we had a 270 degree sea view from Mull past Ardnamurchan Point to Rum & Skye in the distance. We ended up loving this area some much we didnt go any further. Also big bonus no midges.

They tell me Tiree is the sunniest place in the UK & the windyest.

Here is a link to a video my did the trip. Scotland by Rib 2015
Old 10 March 2016, 09:38   #12

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Duo-diver
Make: Avon SR5.4
Engine: Mariner 90hp
RIBase
I am planning to do a 'round Mull' trip in August with my 'other' limiting factor being air fills and dive sites.
We will fill up at Puffin and then at Lochaline, however does anyone out there have details on other potential cylinder fillers as this will have a major impact on our route....clockwise or anti-clockwise!
Old 10 March 2016, 10:25   #13

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Unless it has closed, there used to be an air station next to MacGochans in the car park up from the marina pontoons. Was run by Anne at Seafare 01688 302277
Worth double checking
Great trip - Tapti & Labrador on your plan ?
Jeff
Old 10 March 2016, 11:02   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Unless it has closed, there used to be an air station next to MacGochans in the car park up from the marina pontoons. Was run by Anne at Seafare 01688 302277
Worth double checking
Great trip - Tapti & Labrador on your plan ?
Jeff
Jeff is Arthur at SDS water-sports sheffield still around he knows oban area well and will be in the know.
Old 10 March 2016, 12:02   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwright1969 View Post
I am planning to do a 'round Mull' trip in August with my 'other' limiting factor being air fills and dive sites.
We will fill up at Puffin and then at Lochaline, however does anyone out there have details on other potential cylinder fillers as this will have a major impact on our route....clockwise or anti-clockwise!

How about hiring a small petrol compressor?

CCR is the way forward
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 13:45   #16

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwright1969 View Post
Aurania is worth a dive as well as the Tapti and Labrador mentioned by Jeff, assume you already know of all the Sound of Mull wrecks. Best thing to do is buy Argyll Shipwrecks by Moir and Crawford.
Old 10 March 2016, 14:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Jeff is Arthur at SDS water-sports sheffield still around he knows oban area well and will be in the know.
He is ;-) ,,, but he tends to head to the Garvellachs, Jura, Islay as opposed to up the Sound nowadays
Old 10 March 2016, 16:57   #18

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
I would love to try some wild camping round the islands.
I camped on the garvallachs once years ago... I returned last your and the flys really did spoil it. Think they were some type of horse fly and miges!!

So is it un-orthodox to put the dive kit in for ERR ?? 😁😁😁
Old 10 March 2016, 17:29   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post

So is it un-orthodox to put the dive kit in for ERR ?? ������
Plenty of scallops to be had around inch isle
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 17:30   #20

Air in Tobermory is now a self serve compressor arrangement provided by Tobermory Harbour Association in the building at the top of the pontoon bridge :-)