Old 22 September 2020, 01:10   #1

Town: Santa Barbara, CA
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Wear patches

I am looking to add wear patches to my 1987 SR 5.4m. The tubes hold air well (casting was done a couple years ago) but I use the boat for spearfishing and need to add some protective patches to prolong the life of the tubes. Currently the tubes have a raised strip of material with rivets very few feet with holes to hold a grab rope. I was going to replace the rope however if I keep this strip of material sitting right in the middle of the top of tubes, I would not be able to apply a single patch. Would it be better to remove and add the wear patches, centered on the top of the tube? I think a patch approx 16” wide (left to right) 18-20” long would provide sufficient coverage. Is it advisable to try a patch that large?

Also, after removing some of the original bonnet material(converted to jockey seat), i exposed some of the threads under the grey hypalon material. Air is not leaking but i suspect I should get a patch over this area ASAP. Is this a concern?

Any advice on shape, location and size of the wear patches would be appreciated. Thanks all!