Old 09 April 2015, 15:03   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally I don't carry much in the way of tools on the boat. Realistically there's very little you can do repairs wise, to a modern engine whilst out on the water.
Most of my tool kit was for repairing dive gear while on the water.

I did have stuff that would work on the motor, but as you said, there isn't going to be a whole lot you can do anyway, especially on modern 4-strokes.

jky
Old 09 April 2015, 15:13   #22

Length: 7m +
I agree with some that there isnt much you can fix while on the water, however some things you can, best is to think of most common failures and what you might need to rectify while on the water, things like electrical issues with battery cables and connectors, fuses, wire connectors, minor tube damage, things working loose due to vibration etc etc, so I personally use what many people use to store flares in which is a round type of flare box with a screw threaded top, I keep some electrical spares, connectors, fuses etc in zip lock bags and an assortment of spanners and screw drivers, wire cutters etc plus emergency tube repair kit and the mandatory gaffer tape. all just in case but haven't needed to use any in 5 years. LOL..... touch wood and fingers crossed.