Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Waterproof Document Storage

Hi,

What recommendations do you all have for keeping documents and charts away from water.

Ideally I am looking for something about A3 size so you dont have to fold up the charts too much.

Chris
Old 09 March 2007, 16:38   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
You can get permission from UKHO to copy charts, we do this then laminate them. So long as it is a portion of the chart and you will not be "using it for navigation" the licence is granted.

Or use this stuff; Laserjet Toughpaper

There may be some good waterproof mapcases out there but charts are quite expensive so not really a consumable.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2007, 16:40   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
For charts my preference is Stanfords allweather charts. They are full size charts, printed on plastic "paper" and are extremely durable. You can spread them out properly for route planning, then fold them as small as you want when you're using them. I put the folded charts into clear A3 ziplock folders to keep them tidy.

Another option is the new Admiralty Tough Charts. These are really rugged, printed on very substantial A3 plastic sheets. The biggest drawback is that they are a series of chartlets, and are not as versatile as the Stanford charts. I've got the "Area 1: The Solent and Approaches" book, and on half of the pages the actual charts are hardly bigger than A4, with a big border and space for notes!

Unfortunately neither of these cover the whole of the UK, so they may not be an option. Worth a look though.

If you have to use real paper charts, then a reliable option is to cut them up and laminate the sections, but you're likely to be restricted to A4 unless you can find an oversize laminating machine. Cear A3 ziplock folders are helpful, but in my experience don't necessarily keep the contents dry.

Most of the "proper" map cases that I have seen are quite small, as they are usually designed for walkers who don't cover the ground quite as fast as we do. They are also of dubiouswaterproofness! Aquapac do a waterproof map bag that might be worth a try.

John
Old 09 March 2007, 16:59   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Half a standard Admiralty chart map is A3 sized. Therefore one map cut in half and placed back to back fills one A3 laminate sheet. Generally you can pick up an A3 laminator for £20. If you get permission as outlined by Simon B you can scan them in. If you only have an A4 printer then careful scanning and lining up can produce good results.
I have used the above method and also use printouts from Garmins mapsource. Although not as aesthetically pleasing as a proper chart Mapsource allows you to pick and choose and scale a chart to your exact requirements. It also means you can print predefined routes/way points and distances on them.

I carry charts from Mapsource with all my regular routes marked on them with waypoints and distances/bearings pre marked just in case my GPS pack ups.

Be aware though that laminating a sheet does not mean that it will necessarily be waterproof for life. Because of the limited edging of the laminate sheet around the actual paper chart if the laminate hasn't stuck particularly well then it may leak and just become a soggy mess.

If I was to do it all again to save some work I would probably look for some of last seasons charts in a Chandlers and cut them up and laminate them.

With regards non chart paperwork such as VHF licences, insurance, boat ownership etc I have scanned these and laminated them also. These I carry on the boat just in case.
Old 09 March 2007, 17:08   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Chris I've just had a quick look around and found a basic A3 Laminator for £20.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6703019.htm

Ditto for the sheets at £9

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6761185.htm

Good deals for these items can be found at Staples and some supermarkets. But at least above is a good start.
Old 09 March 2007, 17:18   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Thanks for the tips guys and the laminator definately looks worth getting. However I am really looking for a waterproof pouch that I can velcro to the side of the console. This can then be used to carry any documentation etc.

Any ideas?

Chris
Old 09 March 2007, 17:35   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
Thanks for the tips guys and the laminator definately looks worth getting. However I am really looking for a waterproof pouch that I can velcro to the side of the console. This can then be used to carry any documentation etc.

Any ideas?

Chris
a standard piece of kit on our large ribs as an option there can be two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seahawk IV 033 (Small).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25405  
Old 10 March 2007, 04:39   #8

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Hi
I bought this bag and fixed it to my console. I havn't got it wet yet but it seems reasonably waterproofish
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAILING-YACHT-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12 April 2007, 09:11   #9

Town: Taunton
Length: no boat
Tough Charts

Hi all,

Just browsing the site when I saw this and wanted to make sure you knew about our Admiralty Tough Charts, they are designed specifically for use in open or wet boats and are completely water proof. Check the press for an independent view! There's a competition to win all four in this month's Sports Boat & Rib. By the end of April our coverage will cover from Falmouth to the Solent, with more to come later in the year. Watch out for Southampton Boat Show.

For more information click here: www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/ToughCharts.asp or for a list of stockists in your area try here: www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/howToBuy.asp

We'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I hope they help!
Old 12 April 2007, 12:28   #10
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
I'm sure that Tough Charts would be just the job - but only if you are between Weymouth and Southampton!!

I carry my paper charts as a back up to my GPS Plotter - and I put them in an 'allegedly' waterproof A3 chart case that I bought for the purpose. The chart has never been out of the locker (pod seat), but where the case has been gently folded to get it into the locker, it has cracked along the bend (NOT FOLDED!!). As the chart has never been out of the locker - it's still dry - but I think I'm going to go for the cut it up and laminate it with a wide margin to make sure that it is waterproof.

I had never really considered the legality of scanning the chart - which I obviously will now - although chopping it up and laminating it will make updating it a little more complicated......

D...